Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

push rod for clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 04:00 PM
timeout
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default push rod for clutch

I am looking to replace the push rod for the clutch. I was told to replace it I am out of clutch adjustment and my clutch is not slipping so I was told to try this first. Is it a major job?? Thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 05:14 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,501 Likes on 4,614 Posts

No, not a big job, but how did you determine the problem to be the pushrod?
What year and model bike?

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
timeout
Intermediate
Default push rod

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
No, not a big job, but how did you determine the problem to be the pushrod?
What year and model bike?
A man at the harley shop said to look at the rod first. My bike is a 07 road king and it has over 80,000 miles on it

Old 09-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,501 Likes on 4,614 Posts

It is a very simple arrangement. A ball and ramp setup inside the cover on the right side of the transmission, where the cable goes in.

As you pull in the clutch lever, the cable pulls the lever inside the cover, which causes the ***** to ride up the ramp, pushing the pushrod toward the left, the pushrod presses against the clutch adjuster screw, moving the pressure plate away from the clutch plates and releases the clutch.

I suggest you first remove the derby cover and inspect the clutch adjuster screw, and also make sure none of the bolts that hold the spring retainer have come loose or snapped...

Removing the cover on the right side to access the ball ramp and throwout bearing etc. is a little more difficult, only because the exhaust system may be in the way. Once the right side cover is removed, you can inspect the ball and ramp mechanism and simply pull out the throwout bearing and the pushrod, and inspect them. You will get some fluid running out when you remove the cover, but not too much if any if the bike is leaning on the jiffy stand.

Clutch pushrod and throwout bearing, items 2 through 8:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=564&B=19

Ball and Ramp, items 6,17,18:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=564&B=16

Old 09-30-2011, 03:53 PM
timeout
Intermediate
Default clutch

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
It is a very simple arrangement. A ball and ramp setup inside the cover on the right side of the transmission, where the cable goes in.

As you pull in the clutch lever, the cable pulls the lever inside the cover, which causes the ***** to ride up the ramp, pushing the pushrod toward the left, the pushrod presses against the clutch adjuster screw, moving the pressure plate away from the clutch plates and releases the clutch.

I suggest you first remove the derby cover and inspect the clutch adjuster screw, and also make sure none of the bolts that hold the spring retainer have come loose or snapped...

Removing the cover on the right side to access the ball ramp and throwout bearing etc. is a little more difficult, only because the exhaust system may be in the way. Once the right side cover is removed, you can inspect the ball and ramp mechanism and simply pull out the throwout bearing and the pushrod, and inspect them. You will get some fluid running out when you remove the cover, but not too much if any if the bike is leaning on the jiffy stand.

Clutch pushrod and throwout bearing, items 2 through 8:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=564&B=19

Ball and Ramp, items 6,17,18:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=564&B=16
thank you