Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Primary Chain Tensioner worn ... what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Original Scourge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stiggy, I've been wondering why Baker doesn't embrace these proven little gems myself!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:37 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Scourge
Stiggy, I've been wondering why Baker doesn't embrace these proven little gems myself!
I suppose there is a chance of a spring breaking and pieces flying around the primary until I shut her down, but as I said, so far so good. ( 12 years!)

I expected to go in there and replace at least the shoe by now, but there's certainly no need at this time.

Best single accessory on the entire bike IMO.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:25 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

We have not used any chain adjuster other than the stock Harley auto tensioner in testing. We have seen tons of compensator failures, clutch bearing failures, primary bearing failures, busted main shafts and even crank shaft failures all with the same common denominator, the primary chain was too tight.How long it takes for these failures to happen depends on a couple of factors, riding style, size of rider and size of the motor. The bigger the motor, the harder the rider the quicker the failures. If you are using an aftermarket automatic style tensioner that you are happy with carry on. We have just seen to many failures with the stock H-D auto tensioner to recommend them.When you decelerate there is slack in the chain this is when the auto tensioner "Ratchets up" upon acceleration the slack is now gone from the chain but the H-D auto tensioner does not release. With this continued cycle it does not take long before your chain is banjo string tight and that's never good.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Mark, that's interesting and usefully expands on your earlier remark, which was very sweeping! I shall ride on with my M6, smug in the knowledge that it doesn't have a ratchet.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:27 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by cromagnon
I was thinking of picking up one of those self adjusting tensioners. That item is about 110 bucks, plus the outer primary gasket at 35 bucks. So at 150 bucks, is it worth it. Does anyone think by going to the self adjuster that it is worth it? Don't want to waste my time.
Don't waste your time or money; no real value added with auto tensioners, plus you have reason to peek in on the primary every so often. Replace with the OEM unit and spend the savings on something that does add value, or save it towards some other upgrade. JMHO.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

My M6 gives a smoother ride and better gear changes. IMHO well worth having. One of those extras that makes the bike a bit nicer and more pleasant to ride. Not earth shattering, admittedly, but I won't be taking mine off!

Old 05-04-2012, 04:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,633 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
My M6 gives a smoother ride and better gear changes. IMHO well worth having. One of those extras that makes the bike a bit nicer and more pleasant to ride. Not earth shattering, admittedly, but I won't be taking mine off!
Yep, just a little item that makes motoring around on these things a little more pleasant. ( Unless your idea of a good time is looking forward to peeking in your primary once in awhile! ) Sorry djl, couldn't resist.

I do peek in there every 10,000 or so, particularly since I've got an inspection hole in which to peek in. But as I said earlier, there's no way IMO that I'd still have a shoe that looks that new without the M-6 at 107,000 miles.

And to Mark ( Baker,) I believe the blown compensators, and the all too famous "Clink Clank Grind," along with shot bearings is endemic to the 96/193 motor. There's a hell of lot more wrong with those motors than a simple tensioner. ( Again JMO.)

Finally, what fool would offer a tensioner that ratchets "up" but not "down" too? That's how the new HD unit works? (!)

Last edited by Stiggy; 05-04-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

That's exactly how it works.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:14 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Yep, just a little item that makes motoring around on these things a little more pleasant. ( Unless your idea of a good time is looking forward to peeking in your primary once in awhile! ) Sorry djl, couldn't resist.
No problem, the M6 is one of those items that make motoring around on a Harley a little more pleasant until it's not. Apparently you and grbrown have had good luck with yours but if either of you were one of the unfortuantes that did not, you would have a different view. We just disagree on the value added aspect of an auto primary chain tensioner. We all have to change primary lubricant from time to time so we are in the area anyway. Why pay for a piece of hardware that has malfunctioned for others when it adds 10 minutes to complete a regular maintenance item.

Glad you two have had good results but I don't trust'em and would rather spend my money on things that really do add value.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:39 AM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I found an Indie in town that keeps the Hayden M6 in stock although they were waiting for a half dozen restocks to arrive so I did not pick one up. The differences in opinion I got out of this thread have left me more confused than before. Should I just go stock? Use Bakers fine tooth stock style version? Use the HD auto adjuster? Or go with the M6?

Quick Reply: Primary Chain Tensioner worn ... what to do?