Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

2009 sportster 1200 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
dnylocke
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2009 sportster 1200 problem

Hello all, I am new to the thread and new to motorcycles all together. I am having a problem with my bike and I'm hoping you guys can help me out before I take it to a mechanic and drop alot of money.
Sorry everyone Someone pointed out that I posted this in the wrong section the first time.

I have a 2009 Sportster 1200. I took it on a trip through the mountains the other day. On the way home I began having problems. The first symptom was, It would not accelerate at high speed. I could get it up to 45-50 and the engine would just rev up but no power. It eventually just stopped on me.

After letting it cool for about 45 minute I was able to go another mile or two before it lost power again. I finally had it hauled home. Now it starts fine and when I put it into gear it just idles. I let off the clutch while in gear and it keeps running but when I give it gas it does nothing. I am able to cycle through all gears and it will not stall when I let off the clutch like it is suppose to.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:06 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dnylocke
Hello all, I am new to the thread and new to motorcycles all together. I am having a problem with my bike and I'm hoping you guys can help me out before I take it to a mechanic and drop alot of money.
Sorry everyone Someone pointed out that I posted this in the wrong section the first time.

I have a 2009 Sportster 1200. I took it on a trip through the mountains the other day. On the way home I began having problems. The first symptom was, It would not accelerate at high speed. I could get it up to 45-50 and the engine would just rev up but no power. It eventually just stopped on me.

After letting it cool for about 45 minute I was able to go another mile or two before it lost power again. I finally had it hauled home. Now it starts fine and when I put it into gear it just idles. I let off the clutch while in gear and it keeps running but when I give it gas it does nothing. I am able to cycle through all gears and it will not stall when I let off the clutch like it is suppose to.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
sounds like the clutch plates are fried. time to pull the primary cover , and have a look.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts