Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

navigation unit on ultra classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 08:54 PM
harleyduck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation unit on ultra classic

I was wondering if anyone has the navigation unit for the Harmon-Kardon radios found on the touring bikes? I was thinking that this might be a good investment, but was a little hesitant to jump right in. If anyone has any information on this unit, I would appreciate a post or a pm. thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: navigation unit on ultra classic

harleyduck

I have the navigation system on my 08 Ultra. I like it because of the convenience. I had a Garmin 2720 on the Goldwing I owned before this motorcycle, and everytime you stopped it had to be removed so it wouldn't walk away. The voice prompts are clear and the sound can be adjusted thru the radio. Of course there are no maps, but the voice prompts are clear and each turn is shown by a directional arrow and announced in plain language. Some have said if you venture off course you have to put the disc back in to reprogram. I did not have to do that. I can use the navigation system and the CD player for tunes at the same time. Once I chart my course, that's it!

wingman05

Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 AM
BlueknightWI
6th Gear

I, too have a 2011 Ultra Limited, and have been looking into a NAV system. Can you explain, or is there a posting tutorial somewhere on how the HD system works?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:11 AM
ScreaminUltra08
Stage II

Hey Wingman, I'm replying to an old post, don't know if you'll get this. Anyway I purchased an 08 ultra last year it was hardly used only 2000 miles on it. The orifg owner never installed the Nav system. It booted up okay and acquired a signal and asked for a destination. Did yours take a long time to load the first location? I'm waiting 30-45 min and it still says calc route? Is this normal? Thanks for any help, Tom

Old 05-05-2012, 10:23 AM
ScreaminUltra08
Stage II
Default Loading Issue

Originally Posted by wingman05
harleyduck

I have the navigation system on my 08 Ultra. I like it because of the convenience. I had a Garmin 2720 on the Goldwing I owned before this motorcycle, and everytime you stopped it had to be removed so it wouldn't walk away. The voice prompts are clear and the sound can be adjusted thru the radio. Of course there are no maps, but the voice prompts are clear and each turn is shown by a directional arrow and announced in plain language. Some have said if you venture off course you have to put the disc back in to reprogram. I did not have to do that. I can use the navigation system and the CD player for tunes at the same time. Once I chart my course, that's it!

wingman05
Hi Wingman, Bought an 08 last year ultra last year. Prior owner barely used it only had 2000 miles on it. He never installed the Nav sys. I'm just doing it and it loaded okay got a signal and asked for a destination. Seems to be taking along time to calculate. I'm waiting 30-45 min and nothing. Does it take a long time on the initial loadup?? Thanks, Tom