Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

abs tour pack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:59 AM
mcfatboy
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs tour pack

Does anyone own or know anything about those ABS tour packs on e-bay from Custom Cycle Gear or Helix ?

Old 05-04-2006, 02:05 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: abs tour pack

Several members bought them last year. General consensus..........Not the same quality of the HD Tourpak but still a very good value.

Old 05-13-2006, 02:23 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

fairly limited color selection as well,I ended up going with a harley king tour pak because i wanted it to match the factory birch white paint on my bike

Old 06-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had one on a solo detachable rack and use it only for trips. Works great; outstanding value since it hold plenty of cloths for a 5-7 day trip for one person. Also very handy for shopping trips. Comes with an integral padded backrest that is very good, also.
I have seen them used on FLHT and FLHTPI bikes permanently mounted and the owners are very pleased to have a box with nearly the capacity as a tour pack (probably 75% of the King tour pack) but at only $120 plus shipping.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 AM
jmxp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman
...the owners are very pleased to have a box with nearly the capacity as a tour pack (probably 75% of the King tour pack) but at only $120 plus shipping.
I'm considering one of these for my RK Custom. The Custom Cycle Gear Tour Pak is actually a little larger than the King Tour Pak:

From HD
Dimensions 22" W x 16" L x 11" H.

From CCG
Dimensions: 22.83"x17.32"x13"

CCG says those are the outside dimensions and HD doesn't specify if those are the outside or inside dimensions. Either way, they're going to be very very close.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:02 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anybody had an issues with having them painted?

Old 10-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Regarding the size of the Custom Cycle Gear pack, I have had recent experience in comparing it to the Ultra King Tour Pack since I purchased a used H-D King and recently used it.

For comparison purposes, I am relating it to a carry on bag made of Corura nylon that I use to pack with my clothes for trips. It is fairly wide, but fits snugly inside the CC product and just a snugly within the HD tour pack. So width-wise I don't think there is any difference. As for front to back length, the HD product is definitely longer but only by a couple of inches and that is only at its longest points. And as for depth, the max depth of the King is probably the same as the CC product but overall depth is probably the same or slightly greater in the CC product because the lid of the HD tour pack has more of a crowned shape than the CC product. The CC is definitely larger in volume than the HD chopped tour pack since it is nearly 40% smaller than the regular HD tour pack according to the volume info in the 2007 HD P&A catalog.

For $120 (backrest included) versus $800 (including backrest) the CC product is outstanding value IMHO.

As for painting, I asked about shooting the CC product and was told by a professional painter that in new condition you could shoot it and get outstanding results. If I had a nonmetallic HD bike and was interested in the CC product, I'd buy a can of the Harley color and shoot the box with the expectation of getting an exceptionally good, if not outstanding, color-matched, highly useful tour pack for under $200. Incidentally, the "VIP" badge on the CC product was easily removed using dental floss to seperate it from the surface of the box. CC also offers an LED spoiler for installation on the lid, but I haven't seen this installed so I don't know how it looks mounted on the box.