Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon area....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Ronder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tennessee is banning trucks longer than 30 feet from using a twisty stretch of U.S. Route 129 that is known as The Dragon.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...agon/19825155/

Old 12-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,499 Likes on 3,332 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronder
Tennessee is banning trucks longer than 30 feet from using a twisty stretch of U.S. Route 129 that is known as The Dragon.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news...agon/19825155/
That's been in place for years as far as I know..Well maybe it's on the NC side...

Old 12-03-2014, 06:53 PM
STARMAN223
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stayed at the iron horse on Columbus day weekend. nice quiet place to camp.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:44 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Smitty, the road with the Falls is Hwy 28 north of Highlands, NC

Old 12-03-2014, 09:57 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

so I just heard that Robbinsville and the Co its in is Dry? what the mean to us? no bars? does Ironhorse Campground have a bar? liquor stores? is their a Camp\cabins that does have food\drinks?

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 12-03-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:18 AM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it because I didn't look thru all 6 pages but definitely check out the Copperhead Lodge. Especially if you are going to go with a group. Their rates are great, they are a lodge made for bikes. You can get rooms with bike parking, or even rent one of their cabins. The cabins even have bike garages to store your ride in. I rode 5 days there and back. They will even do a very large bag of laundry for you and have it brought back to you. The restaurant is good, prices very fair, and the bar is right on site so no need to worry how you are going to get HOME for the night.
Any riding you do in that area will be loved...try and find Warwoman road on your way to the moonshiner. It is beautiful and lots of sweepers and curves to keep you moving.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You are corect about the right, left, right thing. I lead a party of three bikes around the area a couple of years ago, never rode the same road twice and was completely and utterly LOST for 5 days. The only time I used a map was to find my way back to the motel. The group thought that I always knew where I was. Surprise, surprise, surprise. We especially enjoyed route 28 and particularly Fontana Dam area and the Wheels Trough Time Museum in Maggie Valley. Nevada won't steer you wrong. One note, US 23 in KY is as close to a slab as you can get, lots of coal truck traffic and numerous side road turn offs. Watch the traffic there. The lower end of the BRP and the Cherahola are fantastic. The Dragon, to me, was just another crooked road. The only reason that we made that trek was to say, been there done that and got the tee shirt to prove it. I agree, take the road less traveled and enjoy.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:05 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
so I just heard that Robbinsville and the Co its in is Dry? what the mean to us? no bars? does Ironhorse Campground have a bar? liquor stores? is their a Camp\cabins that does have food\drinks?
Alcohol sales are regulated by county in Tn and NC. Most dining places sell beer or cocktails. Most grocery stores sell beer and some have wine. Some counties allow no sales on Sunday. There are package stores in non dry counties.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:41 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,499 Likes on 3,332 Posts

Buy you beer and liquor for the cottage, hotel, campground in advance and leave it there fir when you get back....that is what we do...

Old 12-05-2014, 06:29 AM
Petesflhtk
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eastern Tenn & N C

Been reading all 6 pages, great info. Rode down thru the Dragon and lower part of BRP a couple years back. Was a great trip but missed a lot. Have small group, 3 or 4 bikes, leaving Saskatchewan and heading to Tenn and NC again. Looking for some help. Probably head to Milwaukie , then south.. Was thinking to follow the Mississippi to Memphis then east.. Sure would appreciate input. We will have about 18 days...Thx

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon area....