Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The Journeys of Darla ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:38 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

It's going to be a fun project. My brother is pretty good with fabricating and we talked about making up a jig to do the job. Mostly because finding someone to do it is not all that easy. The person we found on Vancouver Island to do it makes his own customs from the ground up, including frames, so this is well within his skill sets.

I now have the team in place to get this done. Robin ... mechanical & old Iron knowledge . Larry ... old iron knowledge. Jay .... frame. John .... disassembly, reassembly, and light fabrication. ..... me , 💸💸

The outcome is to build a good handling, fairly reliable, long distance touring motorcycle. The goal is to put 50,000+ miles on her.

I need to be at work for the next while. I might get one more 2/3 week journey in this year, but it looks like that will be it. I am running down to Vancouver mid September and might pop down the coast to California after.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:57 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

"Red Sun in Morning, sight seeers take warning"

Still lots of smoke here

Old 08-18-2017, 04:07 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Default Smoke Report.....

Clear in the East Kootenays

Old 08-19-2017, 09:54 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

North Idaho has been smoke free thanks to SSW and SSE winds....beautiful weather for anyone heading this way. Conditions are more complicated across the Bitterroots in Montana. Heard from a friend in Glacier and she reported smoke is noticeable but not bad enough to cancel a ride that way. Yesterday evening it looked grim south of Missoula. That fire is right where you turn west on 12 to head into the Lochsa country.

Last edited by mtgriz; 08-19-2017 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Time correction
Old 08-19-2017, 01:36 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
North Idaho has been smoke free thanks to SSW and SSE winds....beautiful weather for anyone heading this way. Conditions are more complicated across the Bitterroots in Montana. Heard from a friend in Glacier and she reported smoke is noticeable but not bad enough to cancel a ride that way. Yesterday evening it looked grim south of Missoula. That fire is right where you turn west on 12 to head into the Lochsa country.

There was a fire in that area when I was on my Nez Perce ride. I wonder if it is the same one.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:43 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Yes, I beieve it is. Crews have been on the Lolo Peak Fire since about mid-July. Saw a report earlier today it grew 9,000 acres just last night, about 3700 hectares. An important line of defense now is US 12.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:59 PM
5wheels
Road Master
Received 409 Likes on 266 Posts

Rocky, beats me how you manage all these pictures. I took my camera with me on a ride to Burkes Garden last week and I generally would see them at 60 MPH as I went by them. Oh there's a picture, oh there's a picture, oh there's a picture. I saw some beautiful sites, but trying to ride and look at the same time. My hats off to you.

Old 08-19-2017, 05:25 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by 5wheels
Rocky, beats me how you manage all these pictures. I took my camera with me on a ride to Burkes Garden last week and I generally would see them at 60 MPH as I went by them. Oh there's a picture, oh there's a picture, oh there's a picture. I saw some beautiful sites, but trying to ride and look at the same time. My hats off to you.
Lol. It takes a certain patience to stop for them. Every so often I will spin around to get one I really want. Often I will stop, park on the road, get the shot and get moving quickly. I do miss some nice shots thinking a better one is just up ahead.

The following users liked this post:
5wheels (08-19-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Yes, I beieve it is. Crews have been on the Lolo Peak Fire since about mid-July. Saw a report earlier today it grew 9,000 acres just last night, about 3700 hectares. An important line of defense now is US 12.
I saw that the trees had burned almost down to the road on the North side of 12 coming into Lolo from the Pass. I did t see any property damadge but there must have been some ..... And several drop off points for equipment and staging areas for crew.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:26 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRocky2
Lol. It takes a certain patience to stop for them. Every so often I will spin around to get one I really want. Often I will stop, park on the road, get the shot and get moving quickly. I do miss some nice shots thinking a better one is just up ahead.
Couple of observations. CR2 rides solo, so stopping takes no coordination. Really enjoy your post.

Also, the news and government attempts to make fires as a bad thing. Fires are just part of the process. Happened long before we started recording history, and will happen long after. Some trees won't even reproduce unless a fire releases their seeds. Come to think of it, that ain't much different than people. Got have a fire before we procreate

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 08-21-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: The Journeys of Darla ....