Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

The only way to see Oahu...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 06:08 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The only way to see Oahu...

Today I had the very unique opportunity to ride the island of Oahu on an '03 Anniversary Edition Electra Glide Custom. What an experience it was!

I have been planning this ride for about a week and a half. I originally intended to make the ride with a fellow Marine that I served with in Iraq and his wife. While making these plans, I learned that Robert, another member of this forum lived on the island of Oahu, and our two bikes became a ride of three. Robert is a native Hawaiian, I have never met him previous to today, and thanks to this great forum, I had the honor of riding the beautiful island of Oahu with him as a tour guide, as it were.

We all made arrangements to meet at the Cycle City Harley shop in Honolulu at 9:30. After a few minor glitches with renting the bike, we were on our way. Not without first dropping some cash-ola on a couple of new T-shirts just to prove I was here. We headed East on H-1, looking to hit 61 E and head up the eastern side of the island, right along the coast line. Weather could not have been better, CLEAR BLUE skies, no wind, and about 75 or 80 degrees. Gorgeous...looked like a post card.

We hit 61, and headed up the East side of the island toward North Shore, our plans were to make it to North Shore for lunch, and then head back toward the southern end of the island before dark.

Riding up the coast, words will not describe the beauty of the island. Towering mountains to my left, crystal blue water to the right, a Harley to my front, a Harley twixt my knobby knees, and another bike behind me.

We continued, past Hanauma Bay, the infamous Blow Hole, and on into Kailua. From there we decided to make a quick stop at Robert's home, to meet his wife and grab a quick drink. Robert has a lovely wife, a beautiful family, and a wonderful home. We spent a short time talking, took a few quick pics, and headed back out to hit the road.

We continued our trek up the coastline, Robert being the gracious tour guide, showed us a different part of the island, one that most tourists might miss. Included were personal items such as his Elementary school, a school that has been there for more than 100 years...we took a quick left off the main drag and up a little hill. It was like stepping back in time 100 years. Here we found an area of the island untouched by modernization. Mango trees, a few homes, and open fields that ran to the base of the mountains. Breathtaking is not the right word...

Further up we hit another spot called, "The Point" a piece of land that sticks out into the water...more beauty, and more pics!

Following the stop we had some lunch (AHI for me!) and headed to North Shore.

At this point I was looking everywhere, leaning this way and that, Robert was afraid I would run myself off the road I was so busy gawking at everything I could see...it was truly an experience.

We made it all the way to the northern end of the island to a small airstrip where we watched a series of gliders and sky divers go up and land right in front of us. They are truly the crazy ones in my mind!

Back on the Hogs and headed south, stopping by a friends house who was having a party, and then in for the night.

All told, about 120 miles (I think), but the most memorable day I've had on the island so far.

Robert, thanks to you and your wife for your gracious hospitality, and thanks for spending the day with a couple of "foreigners". You made it a better one, and I'm grateful for the experience. If you ever make it to the mainland, I will gladly reciprocate, though I doubt there is much in Yuma to compare!

As I think back over the day, the only thing that would have made it better would to have had my beautiful bride with me to share it with.

Old 01-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The only way to see Oahu...

Awesome, more pics please. It sounds like an experience like no other. Glad you had a good time and that you could share it with us.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:19 PM
TZScales
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful pictures and it seems you were in gracious company!!! Wow, you know how to live!!! Thanks much for sharing.

[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 01-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like a great time Mac. The pictures are always a PLUS!

I have some pics for ya', mounds of friggin snow. YUK!

Old 01-23-2005, 10:35 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pilot,

It looks like you had a great ride and met a new friend too.

You picked a great time too go to Oahu. I am freezing ,15 degrees and twenty mile an hour winds .

Enjoy yourself over there.

Post more pics, i enjoyed the ones you posted.

David

Old 01-25-2005, 06:00 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok fellas, by popular demand, here are some more pictures. Hawnstar gave me these tonight...I dropped over to pic up the pics, his family refused to let me leave without eating dinner first...Thanks Robert!

"The Point"

Beautiful Mountains that edge right up to the beaches

Waikiki

"Chinaman's Hat"

Kaneohe Bay

"The Blow Hole"

Beautiful Sunset

Hope you enjoyed these half as much as I enjoyed the ride...

Mac

Old 01-25-2005, 08:43 AM
wanderer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful pictures. I got to thinking about it, and there are some lovely rides around the Yuma area, at least back when I lived there. The roads to Senators Wash are twisty, and scenic, and the ride to Havasu is interesting. Of course, I-8 was just being built when I was there, things might have changed a little since then.

Old 01-25-2005, 02:40 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I've not been to Senator's wash...planning a ride this Sunday when I get back, maybe we'll tackle that one...

Mac

Old 01-26-2005, 01:15 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Looks like you picked an excellent place to ride and with good company, how can you go wrong?

Old 01-26-2005, 01:55 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

pilot1996

Sure would have liked to have been on one of the bikes on that ride. Maybe some day. Great pictures and that is a really beautiful and senic place.

I see you're from Yuma, I was there in 1989 from Jan. to June, working construction in El Centro. We lived in Yuma and commuted each day. I didn't have time to see a lot while of the area while I was there but did make one trip to Laughlin and one trip to Mexico. Was working 7 days a week for the most part.

It only rained one time and that was just for a little while maybe 10 minutes. On the trip to Yuma when I first topped over one of the little mountains I saw hundreds of RVs in Yuma and later learned that area is the snow byrd capital of the world.

One other thing, in construction sometimes we have what's called a rain-out, and they send us home for the day, but out there we had sand outs, you could'nt hardly see anything and they had front end loaders getting the sand off the freeway at the Glamis sand dunes.
Boy that sure was different.

Well hopefully the next time I get to come out there it's on the bike.

John TN

Quick Reply: The only way to see Oahu...