Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 03:43 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,740 Likes on 5,237 Posts

Keep a few things in mind. Many that go there sleep in. So if you are up and out early it helps if you dislike crowds. Try to avoid Pigeon Forge latter afternoons traffic such for such a small place. The National park is free so you can ride in and out all you want. Don't get stupid and no one messes with you. Pull over enjoy the view of the stream.
Speed is a big deal come around a curve no telling what might be there. Because of speed you will not cover as much ground as normal. Almost any direction you go will turn out to be a good ride. If you are like us and just go anywhere, when you start to think I should maybe not be on this road, you are correct turn around while you can.
If you end up in Gatlinburg find Roaring Forks road and ride it. Not a long ride but worth it.
If you see a Black hills Gold and Black Quarts 2017 RGU wave , it is us having a great time.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:41 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

I am now planning on staying at Maggie Valley, NC. It's central to the area. I was also thinking of Gatlinburg NC but it's too touristy. I don't need a fancy motel but I need good restaurant or two. Gatlinburg may have good restaurants but I would rather avoid the chains (that's getting hard to do now a days). After a long day of riding I want a good meal (maybe steak) and a good beer (not a Bud or Miller). I also need a nice big breakfast before I head out.

I have also found out that The Dragons Tail will have some construction while I'm there.
Facebook Post
Announcement for those planning to visit between April 17-29. We had heard rumors that this might happen, but now we have confirmation. Looks like the Dragon will be closed for 30 minute intervals then open for 30 Monday through Friday. Open normal on weekends. Spread the word.

*UPDATE* I spoke to them by phone, and they said the road will be closed on both sides of the scenic overlook, very close to where work is being done. So most of the road will still be open, but turning around will be interesting for cars especially as things start to back up.

*UPDATE2* We're also hearing now that they won't be shutting down the road EVERY 30 minutes, just for 30 minute stints when they have to work over the road. The sheriff's dept. will be around working traffic though.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:40 AM
R BEE
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Trip to the south

Friend of mine and I took the last week of March to go south.
We made the plans last fall but never set a home base.
What a great week 1250 miles with no plans.
We started in Asheville , NC had weather coming in from the west sooo loaded back packs and headed for the coast on SC. first day 430 miles of scenic
two lanes all the way to Hilton head. Next day back to Asheville
Loaded back up trailer (bad weather) unloaded in Pidgin Forge TN.
Unloaded and road the heck out of that area for two days Tail of the dragon being the 1st plan. But have to say moonshine 28 ,441,371 and any of the
other roads we found in that area with in 200 miles were just plan the best !!!!
The roads are incredible .The Dragon was a great road but there are many
the most challenging road we found was by mistake going north east when we were headed southwest.(Me). That route was 178 over a mountain in NC
Just have to say to those who live in the TN area of Pidgin Forge
you have a great place to visit. Thank you to all there!!!
we will be back!!

Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Mike flies
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Great thread. If the weather isn't terrible I'm going to take my wife over to Lakeview at the Fontana for our 19th anniversary this weekend. I'll be riding in from the south side of Atlanta, figure I'll hit about half the gauntlet and get some lunch at The Copperhead Lodge, then make my way past Deal's Gap en route to Bryson City. Day 2 is up in the air, but probably do some kind of round robin and return to the same hotel so we don't have to bother repacking. Day 3 will be spent sleeping in and riding back home -- hopefully hit Copperhead lodge on the way back and ride the other half of the gauntlet. Should be a great time if it doesn't rain.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Star Commtrey
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I leave in 6 weeks....cant WAAAIIIIITTTTTT

Old 04-11-2017, 01:26 PM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
Im going to ride the Dragon in May.....any suggestions???? Staying at the Dragon Pitt
I live in Tennessee and have ridden the Tail of the Dragon many times. As other OPs have stated, it is a fairly technical, but not nearly as tough as the Devil's Triangle. I do recommend staying away from the area during major summer holidays (Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day) as the road has too much traffic to be enjoyable.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:47 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Go do the Dragon once for the pictures (Killboy, Moonshine Photo, US129 Photo) and then go ride all the much better roads in the area! Easy to do a few hundred miles each day and never do the same road twice. Actually hard to not find a good ride in the Smokys.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 04-11-2017 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,740 Likes on 5,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Star Commtrey
I leave in 6 weeks....cant WAAAIIIIITTTTTT
I will be checking in May 27th . Ready to leave now and take the long way around.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 PM
stretchgeneral
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ridden the Tail many times. My experience is that an early morning ride can be done both directions without anyone in your way or passing you. But later, it is very busy, not just with bikes, cars and professional photographers, but the occasional multiple state troopers camped out on several corners.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:20 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by stretchgeneral
I have ridden the Tail many times. My experience is that an early morning ride can be done both directions without anyone in your way or passing you. But later, it is very busy, not just with bikes, cars and professional photographers, but the occasional multiple state troopers camped out on several corners.
This is all true. Hit it as early as possible before 9 a.m. The only issue is often fog and cold for instance on Foothills Pky and other roads leading in that are higher elevations. The photogs are out surprising early most mornings so you still get your picture taken.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon