Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Riding across America (The 4 and “Final” trip on Steroids) (time will tell)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Riding across America (The 4 and “Final” trip on Steroids) (time will tell)

Having started our love for America in 2010 then again in 2011 and once more in 2013
We had that Addiction but not in a bad way….. however in our personal lives things changed which i did not mention earlier , in a lot of ways it had to do with our trips being part of the dreams and aspirations we had for ourselves.
Long story short I had a business in a neighbouring country was away from home during the week and home on weekends only…did this for 15 years..not the end of the world ....many people have worse situations... but for me I wanted more.
So in 2014 we took a leap of faith and packed up everything sold my business my home in the North of the country and moved south to the most beautiful part of our country called Cape Town where we reside now and from where i write this story and so we hope to write the next story of our lives…… but lets get back to our 4th American trip

Ok so by now if you followed my earlier posts you know we like to use Orlando Harley Rental as our preferred dealer….no change there

Timing not much change there we still believe Fall is the best time to cross the country so in 2015 we headed of to the States with 40 days in hand…..why because we could and I was a free man no work commitments etc

So with 40 days away one can do a lot of stuff

I won’t bore with the details but we broke the trip down in parts as follows

A few days before to explore Atlanta
then Orlando see some Parks not yet seen and then pick up the Harley at the Orlando Dealer

The main thing we wanted out of this trip was to see new places and visit a few old favourites and my wife wanted to see Oregon so we decided instead of finishing in San Francisco we would finish the Rental bike ride leg of our trip in Seattle

So the bike trip was as follows: (20 day rental)

Orlando to Birmingham Alabama to see the Barber Museum then down the Natchez trace Parkway to New Orleans to Houston to see our friends there and then to Galveston by the sea then to San Antonio just wanted to go up the Tower of the Americas then overnight in Fredericksburg then to Roswell who doesn't want to see where the aliens fell……mmmm that was a disappointment then on to bits of the R66 to Albuquerque then Madrid to see Maggie's diner set from the movie Wild Hogs the up through Colorado again via the million dollar highway stayed at Silverton then Grand Junction to Moab…Canyon land and Arches parks then to Winnemucca via Ely from there it was Crater Lake via Kalamath Falls then Bend,Newport,Portland for a few days and then finally Seattle where we spent a few days before flying to Boston after handing the bike back at East Side Harley dealership

Flight from Seattle to Boston

Car Rental trip

We flew from Seattle to Boston as we had never been there before ….Spent a few days checking out Boston then we Rented a Car go see places like Niagara falls…..Wheels Through time in Tennessee….it sucked as they were closed on the day we arrived but we got to ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway and see a town called Gatlinburg and see the Smoky mountains …..on this trip we also saw The Amish in Lancaster…Jack Daniels in Lynchburg Tennessee.. Civil War sights in Gettysburg …HD Factory in York ……Ruby Falls in Chattanooga and then drop the car at Atlanta airport for the return home

It was a long trip and no words can really explain but it will be with us for our lifetime what more can one ask for if you love travel

will post some more

Last edited by chrisvor; 04-25-2017 at 10:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Minister1955 (05-11-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:12 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate

part 2 of some pics

and finally packing for home on the last night

as I write here there are no other trips like this in sight as yet …but you never know …..it was great to share them with like minded folks ….hope you enjoyed our shenanigans

certainly hope you also get to chase your dreams if you haven't already done so

keep the shiny side up

cheers for now

Chris

The following 8 users liked this post by chrisvor:
Brit Biker (04-25-2017), Doc V (06-30-2021), glide5904 (05-04-2017), leadman (04-29-2017), Minister1955 (05-11-2017), mtgriz (04-28-2017), Racer99 (05-01-2017), rlsellersinc (06-24-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like an epic journey! Hope to do something similar once I retire next year. Thanks for sharing!

chrisvor (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 11:15 AM
wjvins
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the pictures.

See you soon I hope.

chrisvor (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 AM
tcarille
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Great pics , thank you for taking the time to post them.

chrisvor (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Mikes145
Road Captain
Received 151 Likes on 102 Posts

Very nice. You sure covered some ground.

chrisvor (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate

thx was nice reliving the trip when i posted it

Old 04-27-2017, 10:44 PM
wyoming55
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would wager that you've been more miles in the US on a bike than 99.9% of visitors who travel by bike. Glad you enjoyed the trips, I enjoyed reading about them

chrisvor (05-02-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 11:14 AM
chrisvor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wyoming55
I would wager that you've been more miles in the US on a bike than 99.9% of visitors who travel by bike. Glad you enjoyed the trips, I enjoyed reading about them
thank you yes we done some miles but so much more to see and spend a bit more time in places we really liked.....

it can be addictive u guys are so lucky to have everything there and just crossing states is like travelling to another country for us

Old 06-24-2021, 12:02 PM
rlsellersinc
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow..

Originally Posted by chrisvor
thank you yes we done some miles but so much more to see and spend a bit more time in places we really liked.....

it can be addictive u guys are so lucky to have everything there and just crossing states is like travelling to another country for us
You accomplished what most dreams of.

Quick Reply: Riding across America (The 4 and “Final” trip on Steroids) (time will tell)