Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Mountain Riding Techniques That You Should Know

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:20 AM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Mountain Riding Techniques That You Should Know

Mountain Riding Techniques That You Should Know
By Dave Patterson
Contributors: Frank Stevens

Unlike in a car, when you are on a motorcycle you are right out there part of the scenery as you pass through it. While this is part of what makes a bike more fun, you also have to put more thought into things like weather and terrain because of it.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:20 PM
swgodfrey
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tips. Riding this week in a Colorado. Another tip might be to get a feel for what gearing and rpm levels work best for what types of turns and gradients. Remaining in the power band for each gear maximizes stability and margin. For example, 20 mph sharp and steep uphill turn, probably 2nd gear, maybe even first.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:42 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

A few things I've found here in Colorado that may not have been covered by the article: 1) There is always,...always loose pea-gravel on the outside edges of the road and each year bikes go down for riding too close to the shoulder. Happens on right and left hand turns. 2) Humidity is generally lower in the mountains and riders never drink enough water. 3) Lots of people ride through the mountains too fast. You need to slow down and stop more often. 4) Maps are deceiving - a 250 mile day in the mountains is probably harder on the body as a 450 mile ride across the Texas Panhandle. Few stretches of open road where you can move at 75-80 mph. In fact in a lot of places you'll be running for stretches between 45-65. 5) Tourist traffic is going to be heavy where ever you go. Watch out for sightseers coming towards you - they may have their eyes on the mountains behind you and not on the road. 6) In some states you may have to watch out for deer and raccoons. In Colorado you have to watch out for deer, elk, moose, bear, mountain lion, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, antelope, all sorts of small game and birds. 7) There are sometimes not a lot of left- turn lanes in front of you. If you find yourself behind a line of cars and traffic begins to gradually slow...it means that the first car in the line has his turn signals on and may be turning left. This is not a good time to try to pass everyone (several accidents each year from this) It becomes more difficult on narrow winding roads. 8) The weather changes two, three, sometimes four times each day. Weather in the mountains can only be described in generalities so just plan for real cool mornings and pleasant afternoons, expect rain and hail between 2-5 pm and don't be shocked by scrapple above 12,000' during June, July and August.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Whiskers; 08-16-2017 at 01:47 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by Whiskers:
BreakoutFL (08-30-2017), Fireax (08-19-2017), leadman (08-18-2017), Peter Griffin (08-16-2017), t059736 (09-03-2017), tomve (08-16-2017), tphillips (08-22-2017), Vec (08-30-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
A few things I've found here in Colorado that may not have been covered by the article: 1) There is always,...always loose pea-gravel on the outside edges of the road and each year bikes go down for riding too close to the shoulder. Happens on right and left hand turns. 2) Humidity is generally lower in the mountains and riders never drink enough water. 3) Lots of people ride through the mountains too fast. You need to slow down and stop more often. 4) Maps are deceiving - a 250 mile day in the mountains is probably harder on the body as a 450 mile ride across the Texas Panhandle. Few stretches of open road where you can move at 75-80 mph. In fact in a lot of places you'll be running for stretches between 45-65. 5) Tourist traffic is going to be heavy where ever you go. Watch out for sightseers coming towards you - they may have their eyes on the mountains behind you and not on the road. 6) In some states you may have to watch out for deer and raccoons. In Colorado you have to watch out for deer, elk, moose, bear, mountain lion, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, antelope, all sorts of small game and birds. 7) There are sometimes not a lot of left- turn lanes in front of you. If you find yourself behind a line of cars and traffic begins to gradually slow...it means that the first car in the line has his turn signals on and may be turning left. This is not a good time to try to pass everyone (several accidents each year from this) It becomes more difficult on narrow winding roads. 8) The weather changes two, three, sometimes four times each day. Weather in the mountains can only be described in generalities so just plan for real cool mornings and pleasant afternoons, expect rain and hail between 2-5 pm and don't be shocked by scrapple above 12,000' during June, July and August.

Hope this helps.
All good information. I just got back from a week up there. I highlighted the points that got me a little by surprise. The hail is the one that I wasn't prepared completely for.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts

I think the best thing one can do to get ready to ride the twisties is to read Proficient Motorcycling by Hough.

I ride the twisties of NC, VA, TN, WV, SC all the time with my buddies. Practically every weekend. Most of my buddies are riding sports bikes or sport tourers and are much faster than I am. For me, I never loose sight of the fact that around that blind curve could be any thing. A car, a truck, an live animal, a dead animal, rocks, trees etc etc.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good Post, Whiskers, Thanks! And, the most useful thing to me (the one I, as a Flatlander, have the most trouble with in the Mountains) is the bit about longer stopping distances and losing traction on the rear wheel going down hill. I have developed a lot of "Instinct" reactions in my daily riding here in SE Louisiana that have simply Failed me on grade. I have a hard time slowing / stopping on 20% grades. ESPECIALLY in Gravel, leaf / pine needle debris, mud, and/or wet roads. Lost it in Townsend Tenn. on wet pine needles + 20% grade. Very nearly lost it Big Time (off a cliff) coming down off of Ship Mountain in Northern California when my street tires could find nothing solid under the gravel.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:43 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Bridge decks can get icy even in the summer at altitude. It's cooler below them, maybe a bit of moisture on them, and then possibly a bit of ice. The same applies to shaded areas in the early morning. You can also find slippery places close to rivers that are shaded.

Heated vests are good at keeping your core temperature up, which will make you more aware. As well as heated grips.

Old 08-20-2017, 11:52 PM
Hopper.
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

One little addition I would offer to the riding the curves section is to move over and let those leather clad crotch rocket riders get past. Don't be a dick and try to block them, even if you are riding in a group. They have their right to have their kind of fun too.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (08-30-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:44 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,607 Posts

I was born and raised in hill country and I can tell you that once you're away from it and then go back you can see potential hazards that you had probably never noticed before. Rock cliffs that extend out and over the road, loose dead trees and rocks just waiting to topple down onto the road, and if it rains a bit too much, wash outs that can push dirt, mud sand and rocks over the road.

A few of us were on a "Scenic Road" a few weeks ago, which BTW had no markings, no guard rails and if two vehicles were to meet in opposing directions, one would have to pull the to the side of the road to allow the other to carefully pass by.

The 2 MPH, hairpin "switchbacks" curves, which always seem to be banked improperly, were a concern to some. My wife (who was riding with me) said if we had came that way the day before when she was on her own bike "she would have killed me"!

Whether it's road conditions, weather or animals, the bottom line is that you have to maintain a safe and prudent speed and to be able to avoid any potential problems.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Whiskers, you mean graupel???

We have already had snow above 12,000 several times in August in the San Juan Mountains. The monsoon season has been wet and a bit chilly from mid-July through August. Several afternoons we have had temps in the low 50s. Be prepared!

Quick Reply: Mountain Riding Techniques That You Should Know