Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My RMNP and Colorado Road trip AAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 08:30 PM
kculp
Cruiser

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

ok. if you were doing it again.... would you rent a bike? trailer out your own bike? I love the area and have been there many times but not looking forward to 16 hour ride. have always envied seeing other bikers in the park and wished I had mind there.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:38 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by kculp
ok. if you were doing it again.... would you rent a bike? trailer out your own bike? I love the area and have been there many times but not looking forward to 16 hour ride. have always envied seeing other bikers in the park and wished I had mind there.
I hauled the bike in the back of my truck so I could do a one day out, one day back, which gave me two extra days of riding out there. I will fly out next time. Between driving through Kansas, St. Louis traffic gridlock, Kansas City and Topeka Gridlock, all of which I will get to later, I never plan to drive there again!
Riding would have been horrible and taken 2 long days.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:42 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

I returned from Mt Evans through Boulder and Golden since I missed my exit by not using my GPS and thinking I would see it. Since I had never been to either place I decided to check them out. Not a bad ride really with no major traffic issues. I have it on Video but will not be posting that for obvious reasons. 36 back to the cabin is magnificent but I have better video from another days ride. Peak to Peak was just meh IMHO with a lot of construction during the week and a lot of very broken pavement.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:52 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

A few pics I snapped along Peak to Peak Hwy

Pot store

Note the tree growing in that rock

Longs Peak, highest mountain in RMNP

Just thought this was a cool mountain

Last edited by tnriverluver; 09-18-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:08 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

In most of the pics of me I have on my helmet. This new Bell has one serious issue and that is it is near impossible to use with sunglasses and I need my sunglasses because they have built in readers. The built in sunshade is of no use to me in these new helmets. It takes quite a bit of effort to finally get the ear piece under your ears or at least to get them on comfortably. Helmet is a bit heavy but very quiet compared to any others I have ever owned over the past 40 years. The Gopro and SMH10 doesn't help with the weight either. It was amazing how warm it was when traveling through Trail Ridge Rd by simply putting down the visor.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 09-18-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:54 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Day 2 Sunday Aug 27
On this day I managed to get up pretty early and decided to run through RMNP Trail Ridge road for the first time and from there head down through Granby and Winter Park to hit Berthoud Pass and on down to Loveland Pass where I would end up in Keystone CO. This was a really nice ride and going across RMNP early it was quite cold but my leather, lightly insulated gloves, and full face helmet were enough to keep me comfortable. Never did use the heated vest and gloves I had bought just for this trip. Going through RMNP early on Sunday was a good decision as traffic was fairly light. On this route I doubled back and came back the same exact route I took down. Hitting RMNP around 4PM on Sunday was not good as I was almost continually behind anywhere from 10-40 slow moving cars often creeping along at 10 mph.

This video starts at the entrance to my campround and ends at the Granby side park exit to RMNP.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:55 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Then from RMNP down to the beginning of Berthoud Pass.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:57 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

And now Berthoud Pass and Loveland Pass

Old 09-19-2017, 10:09 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

A few shots from RMNP

Another rider on a Victory was stopped here so I offered to take his pic and he returned the favor.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:17 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

A few pics from Berthoud and Loveland Pass

Lake Granby??

Lake Granby???

Quick Reply: My RMNP and Colorado Road trip AAR