Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Australia; Melbourne to Cairns, January of 18

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:31 PM
usmcpog0402
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Australia; Melbourne to Cairns, January of 18

Just like it says, I get back from my deployment in two weeks about have about 5 months off until the next one, taking the month off January for leave and I'm flying to Australia for a little "Motorcycle Walkabout" in the land down under.

I'll be flying in to Melbourne, picking up an Ultra from Eagle Rider and then turning it in 30 days later in Cairns. Looking for tips of places to go, sights to see, cool things along the way in the land down under. Open to going way off the beaten path and getting lost. I'll be bringing a poncho liner and an poncho so I can camp out under the bike if it calls for it, rain gear, my full face, and a couple pars of clothes, other then that going with the bare minimum.

I'm sure someones done this trip before...

I used to do week long trips in my early 20's after I'd come home from Iraq or Afghanistan to just get away and clear the head. It's been years since I've done one. I've seen all 50 states on two wheels, most of Canada and a good chunk of Mexico. I'm ready to really get away and get lost somewhere new...

Again, looking for tips on where to explore! Cool places to see, and everything in between, doesn't have to be in Queensland or New South Wales, with 30 days of riding on the continent I'm ready to ride!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:17 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 91 Posts

My daughter lives in Brisbane and she says that Australia has more kinds of snakes and spiders that can kill you than any other country. I don't think I'd be sleeping on the ground.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 AM
moose545
Road Captain
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts

Took the words right out of my mouth, like 8 of 10 of the world's deadliest snakes live there lol, I'd pass, spiders aside. And I'm no local expert, but I'd check some ADV forums for more "off the beaten" path there, that's some of the world's most volatile and harsh conditions there are. Do post pics for sure, it'd be a hell of a trip!

Old 11-14-2017, 10:59 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Just one thing, TAKE ME WITH YOU!! Been down under 3 times. If I ever decide to leave the US for good it would be to move to Australia.

I have driven on two of our trips. Don't expect many super highways. The only time you'll see more than 2 lanes is around the big cities, Melbourne, Sydney etc. Go along the sea from Melbourne to Sydney. You can get a 3 day Sydney pass that allows you to use any of the transportation (bus, train, ferry, subway) and gets you into a lot of the attractions. There's a lot to see and do, it's a wonderful area. To the west of Sydney are the Blue Mountains, very beautiful. North of town is the Hunter Valley, wineries and horse farms forever. Great ride. Then up to Brissy (Brisbane), another great city, and on to Cairns. West of there you have tropical rain forest. East of course is the Great Barrier Reef. Have fun and watch out for roos, koalas, wombats and drop bears (google them). You don't want to encounter any of them. In my 3 trips there, I never saw a poisonous spider and only one Eastern Brown Snake. That was in the Warrumbungles Nat'l Park 250 miles NW of Sydney, in the outback.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:50 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

I'll be there during Christmas.Sydney, Brisbaine then Cairns. It's gonna be hot.