Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   ABQ/AZ/UT/CO Trip help... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1217312-abq-az-ut-co-trip-help.html)

CrBear 02-05-2018 10:24 AM

ABQ/AZ/UT/CO Trip help...

Hey guys, "was" planning on this in June, but AZ (grand canyon) during that time looks to be in the 90's ? May do May instead.
My question: If riding from ABQ mid/late-May to North Rim, then to Bryce Canyon, Mexican hat, Durango (Million dollar).
Is it better to go in May or June ?
Thanks for any help !

drew4jan 02-05-2018 10:49 AM

I’d say late May as the North Rim doesn’t open until the 15th. We were in Zion & Bryce early May and caught snow. Also, we rode the South Rim in early June and it was by no means 90 degrees. Also, rode all of Route 66 that year and it wasn’t uncomfortable. Southern Utah in June can be hot!

CrBear 02-05-2018 10:53 AM

Good deal thanks Drew ! Didn't know the North Rim had open dates !
Trying to hit AZ/UT and CO so... will expect all kinds of weather.
PS... Luv the Avatar !

QC 02-05-2018 10:56 AM

May may be too early to do the Million Dollar Hwy. There will still be a lot of snow up there. There a couple guys that live down there in the Forum, hopefully they’ll chime in.

ABQ-Jammer 02-05-2018 10:56 AM

Let me know when you're gonna be in ABQ, as that's where I live. Maybe we could meet up to put a face to the name?
I would think May should be fine. Don't think there should be any snow, though the Groundhog DID say 6 more weeks of winter...not sure I believe it.

CrBear 02-05-2018 11:02 AM

Will do Jammer ! I don't want to ride in the snow. Did the Estes Park down to CO Springs last year and wound up in a couple of afternoon storms, we went in July. I can do rain if I have to. Late May-Early June will probably fit our time-frame, so I'll take what I get.
Thanks Guys !

giacomo56 02-05-2018 11:34 AM

We did the same 4 states, but in early June...medicine hat was 95/100....the rest were in the 80's ...great trip....make your reservations now....hotels were pretty booked/full and the economy was not as good as it is today, so expect more visitors.

CrBear 02-05-2018 11:36 AM

Good deal ! and yeah, I'm seeing things fill up already ! jeez

ev780 02-05-2018 12:04 PM

Colorado High country is really unsettled through May. Expect any and every thing short of tsunami.

June is much better.

sgoharley 02-05-2018 12:21 PM

I have done that trip a few times. Memorial day weekend is what we usually shoot for. Even then we have caught snow in the upper elevations. Million dollar highway can be a white knuckle ride in the rain, dont even want to think about it in the snow.

CrBear 02-05-2018 02:25 PM

Riding buddy and I are Heading out 5/30.
This is how she looks so far all dolled up.. If there are any Tsunomi of Zombies in this path, please give a heads up... Thanks !

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...8638b4fa15.png

nibroc 02-05-2018 02:54 PM

looks like you'll miss the 4 corners

CrBear 02-05-2018 04:05 PM

Well, I wanted a Bigger slice of the pie ! But who knows what happens after the throttle is cranked.. we don't always stick to the plan..

ABQ-Jammer 02-06-2018 08:36 AM

Looks like a nice big loop. Wish I could go with you, but I still gotta work.
Let me know when it gets closer to your time to go, and maybe we can schedule to meet up somewhere.

71on72 02-06-2018 09:46 AM

If you can make a half day loop through Monument Valley you won’t regret it

CrBear 02-06-2018 09:52 AM

Its totally been on my mind. And may have miles left in the day to do that !
Just didn't know if it would be more of the same we'd seen already.

cwsharp 02-06-2018 10:39 AM

You are missing 3 excellent stops... in order of do it... Zion, Mesa Verde, and Moab (Arches and Canyonlands and stay at the Gonzo Inn in Moab).

One thing about the choice of Rim... the time of day has a huge effect on pictures (sun). Also, the North Rim is a long drive in and a long drive back out the same way... and you can hit the South Rim on a 'pass through' and there are excellent views when riding through the park as well as good places to stop and take pics. Since my RK isn't an 'adventure bike' all of the National Parks in UT really are for hiking to see the good stuff so I liked the trip through Zion and the National park the best for riding.

71on72 02-06-2018 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17065065)
Its totally been on my mind. And may have miles left in the day to do that !
Just didn't know if it would be more of the same we'd seen already.

You wont regret it. Very unique buttes. Sunset shadows and colors are spectacular. I’ll lookup routes going morth from Gallup. Or goind south on your return route

CrBear 02-06-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by cwsharp (Post 17065233)
You are missing 3 excellent stops... in order of do it... Zion, Mesa Verde, and Moab (Arches and Canyonlands and stay at the Gonzo Inn in Moab).

One thing about the choice of Rim... the time of day has a huge effect on pictures (sun). Also, the North Rim is a long drive in and a long drive back out the same way... and you can hit the South Rim on a 'pass through' and there are excellent views when riding through the park as well as good places to stop and take pics. Since my RK isn't an 'adventure bike' all of the National Parks in UT really are for hiking to see the good stuff so I liked the trip through Zion and the National park the best for riding.

Good Stuff CW ! This is what I'm looking for, since I've only been to Utah (Park Cites) 100 years ago to ski. I didn't know if the Bryce to Mexican Hat ride was kinda the same as Zion. If not, we'll ride through it!
I like the pass-through on the South Rim too. I heard it can be slow and crowded so.... was passing on it.
One thing about the guy riding with me, he normally doesn't last as long on the road as I do.. But I PLAN on hitting all the stops I can !

CrBear 02-06-2018 11:39 AM

We hit Mesa Verde 2 years ago while doing the Million Dollar ride. But I'd like to do Moab too if we can work it in.

71on72 02-06-2018 12:23 PM

Monument Valley heading west to east from Fry Canyon Utah:
Hwy 261 & 161 south to Mexican Hat. Side trip into Gooseneck Natl, Park if you have time.
Continue 163 South through Monument Valley. Stop at Visitors Center, Continue to Kayenta, AZ
Hwy 160 East to Cortex, CO. Four Corners where AZ/CO/UT/NM meet. Side trip into Mesa Verde Cliff Dwellings
Hwy 145 to Delores, CO. 230 miles my route from Fry Canyon, UT to Delores, CO. 155 miles your planned route.
Continue with your planned route from Delores, CO to Million $ Hwy:
Hwy 145 North from Delores along Delores River to Telluride, CO going over Lizard Head Pass.
Hwy 62 East Telluride to Ridgway, CO
South 550 South Million $ Hwy to Durango. Stop in Ouray, CO. Make a short side trip into Ouray, Silverton, CO. Get souvenir at Harley store.

Some pics I took on a camping trip through Monumrnt Valley, Ouray, Silverton, Durango. It was late June.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...1dcef75a05.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...ecaa312fff.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5dae790307.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c9bc28e2a1.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...85d665aa17.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...c0892af9d6.jpg

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...474f5095e4.jpg

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5596284e6c.jpg

CrBear 02-06-2018 12:45 PM

Very nice !

cwsharp 02-06-2018 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17065390)
Good Stuff CW ! This is what I'm looking for, since I've only been to Utah (Park Cites) 100 years ago to ski. I didn't know if the Bryce to Mexican Hat ride was kinda the same as Zion. If not, we'll ride through it!
I like the pass-through on the South Rim too. I heard it can be slow and crowded so.... was passing on it.
One thing about the guy riding with me, he normally doesn't last as long on the road as I do.. But I PLAN on hitting all the stops I can !

At the cooler months (fall is claimed to be best) and in the early but not too early summer, there is NOTHING that isn't crowded. Zion gets over a million visitors a year... but I'm not an expert on this one... I went in late June and early July to all the national parks in Utah and the Grand Canyon... it didn't drop below 95 degrees... it's a dry heat though <grin>. I only encountered crowds... not horrendous bunches of senior citizens, boy and girl scouts, whining babies, yankees, etc. I made my hotel reservations in February.

The only long ride that I took was from Grand Canyon to Monument Valley. I was wetting a sweatshirt under my heavy leather jacket every 100 miles and there was a bunch of traffic but not crowds at the parks. All the others aren't that long between places you need to see.

SilverEagle50 02-07-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17061984)
Hey guys, "was" planning on this in June, but AZ (grand canyon) during that time looks to be in the 90's ? May do May instead.
My question: If riding from ABQ mid/late-May to North Rim, then to Bryce Canyon, Mexican hat, Durango (Million dollar).
Is it better to go in May or June ?
Thanks for any help !

Sounds like a good trip. As long as its not too hot, I can't see it not being a great ride.

What's your avatar? Looks cool!!!

CrBear 02-07-2018 12:42 PM

I expect it will be hot in parts, but hey... nothing for a Texas Boy :)
Thanks ! That's actually a pic from a ride on Tail of the Dragon, NC couple of years ago. Friend sent a Facebook link to turn the pic into a "Work of Art" ! ha

slhanks4 02-07-2018 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17062112)
Good deal thanks Drew ! Didn't know the North Rim had open dates !
Trying to hit AZ/UT and CO so... will expect all kinds of weather.
PS... Luv the Avatar !

The North rim elevation is over 8000', they do tend to get quite a bit of snow up there.

2AMGuy 02-09-2018 11:51 PM

We've never took a trip west prior to July but we did take one in late September-early October (it was during the Albuquerque Balloon Festival) so I thought I'd share this just for the heck of it.

My wife wanted to go when it wasn't so hot (we'd been to the Utah Canyons twice before and she found it nearly unbearable) so we trailered our bikes to Clovis, NM and did a northwestern loop with Moab (and Arches Nat'l Park) being our most northern destination and La Verne, UT being the most western.

We did all of the Canyon Parks before heading east towards Four Corners, then eventually south to Carlsbad, NM (Carlsbad Caverns), our most southern destination before north back to Clovis, NM.

If I remember correctly, we hit no rain on the bike portion of our trip (even though it looked like it would rain at any time and we put our suits on over our leathers).
We had no snow but we did have to purchase a couple of heavier shirts for the lower temps in the higher elevations and twice we had "frost" on our seats as we got ready to head out after breakfast.

If you go, have a good safe trip and be sure to post it so we can also enjoy.

CrBear 02-10-2018 07:40 AM

Thanks and will post on the return ! I'm sure the only issue we'll have is the one we always do... and that's packing for all the layers ! He has a Heritage and we both are packed to the gills on these trips. Plus we going for an extra day or two this time. I'm thinking we'll be "reusing" clothes on the next day rides..

Whiskers 02-10-2018 01:06 PM

You've got an EXCELLENT ride mapped out!! I'd suggest early June because you're be riding both through some high-elevation desert (low humidity, chance of mid-90's) to over 12,000' in Colorado (low humidity, temps from 60-80's, rain possible). Just plan on dressing in layers, and drink LOTS of water. I've been over just about all that you have mapped and, unless you plan on coming out again, you need to bring a camera and definitely spend time in the National Parks along the way. It would be a shame if you drove through them without taking a little time to see them.

Finally, since you'll be in the high country, I would push back towards June more than May. There was a guy here on HDF who rode in mid-May and suffered miserably when one of our late-spring snow storms caught up with him. At the least I'd rather suffer the heat in UT than suffer the snow in Colorado.

CrBear 02-10-2018 01:18 PM

Agree Whiskers, more heat and snow for me too ! We're staying in Tuba City, AZ up from ABQ. We plan to ride the North Rim, then up to Zion, and on to Bryce for the night. I'm hoping its not rushing things for that day. Roughly 265+ miles I'm thinking. We're planning on 300 a day.
I always carry a camera around my neck and take quick left handed pics on the rides. Has worked out pretty well in two trips to Colo and two to Tenn/NC. Heading out 5/30 and back 6/6.... or whenever ! ha

Crazy 02-10-2018 01:47 PM

Looks nice. I've ridden all of that and enjoyed it.

For a little variation: after leaving Hanksville, rather than riding over the top of Lake Powell, you can take a little detour off 95 and take 276 and ride to the lake and take a ferryboat across, and then link back up with 95 on the other side. It's kind of a kick to be riding across a lake on a ferryboat in the middle of the desert. You could then take 261 to 163 and head north from there. That brings you down the Moqui Dugway which is also a cool ride.

Good luck and enjoy.

CrBear 02-10-2018 02:08 PM

Well THAT sounds like a Hoot .. Thanks Crazy !

MajorKG 02-11-2018 12:46 PM

I rode a very similar route in July 2016, great ride. Hotter than hades though, except up through the rockies. I went through Independence Pass (12K altitude) and it was very cold, and still plenty of snow all around. Weather was an issue, rain, sleet and hail through Colorado, one moment sunny and comfortable and the next moment as described.

I visited the North Rim, beautiful ride in and out. Very beautiful scenery, I could reach out and touch the bison, deer, elk and other critters, all of them ignore the moving cars and people and do as they wish...low speeds are recommended. The crowds were there, but not as bad as the south rim, I also didn't experience much traffic.

You have a great ride planned, I regret not having visited four corners (just to say I had) but other than that you are going to have a great time. Don't rush it, stay hydrated and use sunscreen. I also have a cooling vest-- see link, that helped a bunch. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...SABEgK3sPD_BwE

CrBear 02-12-2018 07:31 AM

Very Cool thanks Major !

Waterman1 02-12-2018 02:13 PM

Normally I would say June for the Million Dollar Highway. The exception might be this year. The snowpack down in the San Juans is dismal at best. Unless things change, I would expect less than normal snow around in late May. By June 1 they typically have less than 25% of their peak snowpack left.

CrBear 02-12-2018 02:26 PM

Cool thanks Waterman, our time limit may prevent us from getting too high up.
We stop in Durango before heading back to ABQ then Dallas.
Know any good eatery's/watering holes around Durango ?
Enjoyed a couple of patio places when we did Million dollar a couple of years ago.

Waterman1 02-12-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by CrBear (Post 17084570)
Cool thanks Waterman, our time limit may prevent us from getting too high up.
We stop in Durango before heading back to ABQ then Dallas.
Know any good eatery's/watering holes around Durango ?
Enjoyed a couple of patio places when we did Million dollar a couple of years ago.

Durango is actually one town I haven't stopped in. Just driven thru numerous times.

cwsharp 02-13-2018 10:34 AM

For breakfast I liked the Jean Pierre Bakery (it's more than a bakery). I also liked the Mahogany Grille in the Strater Hotel (a cool place in and of itself). Also the Durango Diner... note that Durango isn't what I would call Biker's paradise when it comes to cost and biker friendly locations but it's definitely a neat town.

CrBear 02-13-2018 12:19 PM

Very Cool thanks CW !

jobiwan 02-13-2018 01:42 PM

Just curious on that first map you posted, did you get a read on how many miles total that route was? I've hit those all before, but it would be awesome to do them all again on one trip. I can second previous comments about Million Dollar in the rain. It was pouring the first time I went over from Durango and I didn't remember anything except the first 20ft beyond my front tire. Haha. Went back again that fall with no rain. MUCH better.