Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

west to sturgis yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:44 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Wink west to sturgis yellowstone

plan is leaving from NY to sturgis (3days) dsat at rush no more tent camping. (4 night 5 day) onto to devils twr over to little bighorn. onto Beartooth Pass. here is where it gets slowed down, Ive been to sturgis 3x. One guy in group will be his 1st time at sturgis. i have never made it out to little bighorn on onward. Im trying to make a loop through yellowstone somehow nd not sure how much time to adjust for this. Also want to hit Cheif Joesph Hwy. Any one have some ideas, then i want to end down by grand tetons etc. I will have tent stuff with me as well but not sure of the sites and how early they fill up in yellowstone.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:31 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,377 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Watch this page as summer goes along. Scroll down to the map. They show which campground still has vacancies as well as what time they filled up each day and the previous day. I've noticed Mammouth seems to usually be one of the last to fill up. Get there early as they don't take reservations.
https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

The trick to camping in Yellowstone is get to the park early. If that can't happen the best thing is hit one of the many National park camping spots. There all over the place around Yellowstone. If your starting in Red Lodge, you can take a left onto Chief Joseph and on the Cody. Then enter the park from the east. (my favorite entrance) Then leave out of the south which will take you to the Tetons. Sounds like a really good time. I spent five days in Yellowstone and only scratch the surface.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:13 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

I have reservations at Canyon CG in YS this year following Sturgis and Glacier. I have camped there in the past. Last year I camped in Cody. It is a two hour ride to get to the loop roads in YS. It is a great ride getting to the park. Don't forget Beartooth.

I have been to Little Big Horn. Not a whole lot to it but glad I stopped.

In years past, I have rode one loop both directions one day and ride the other loop the next day.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:22 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,909 Likes on 3,286 Posts

IMO Sturgis isn't worth enduring all the people without taking the route you're planning. Last time I went (don't laugh, 1995) I took a full 4 days to make sure I saw everything the ride has to offer.

Coming home, we rode from Cody WY to Auburn Calif with only gas and food stops. Over a 1,000 miles in 20 hours.. I slept for two days straight when I got home.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:15 AM
Chilidog11
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Get the national parks pass. It will save you money to get into all the parks.

We loved Little Big Horn, we thought it was very moving. Try to get there for a ranger talk.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
plan is leaving from NY to sturgis (3days) dsat at rush no more tent camping. (4 night 5 day) onto to devils twr over to little bighorn. onto Beartooth Pass. here is where it gets slowed down, Ive been to sturgis 3x. One guy in group will be his 1st time at sturgis. i have never made it out to little bighorn on onward. Im trying to make a loop through yellowstone somehow nd not sure how much time to adjust for this. Also want to hit Cheif Joesph Hwy. Any one have some ideas, then i want to end down by grand tetons etc. I will have tent stuff with me as well but not sure of the sites and how early they fill up in yellowstone.
I'm heading to Sturgis for the first time from Central MA. Would you mind share the route you are taking ? I'll be there on the 31st of July until Aug 6.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:30 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
Skip Stugis, every thing is way more interesting west of there. Red Lodge MT is my favorite town to base out of. Great people good places to eat and drink and the smell of the pines and creek at night are incredible.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:17 AM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,777 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Little BigHorn definitely worth a stop, if you're looking for a place to camp nearby theres a nice KOA just a few miles west by Hardin.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:10 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

If it were me I would spend a day in sturgis, then head west and spend as much time in yellowstone area as possible. You could spend 5 days doing bear tooth, chief joseph, yellow stone, and tetons and still not see everything. It takes way longer then you think to ride all those roads and through the park. Then on your way back spend a day or two in the black hills after the rally has ended riding the area and avoiding the crazies.

Quick Reply: west to sturgis yellowstone