Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Must-Have Tools for Touring

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 02:22 PM
Wander
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not part of the actual tool kit but Something I throw in my small tool bag that has been used 3 times is an emergency space blanket. Luckily I’ve never had to use it myself but have encountered 3 down riders the last 4 seasons and even in the middle of August it’s helped when shock and it’s effects kick in post accident

Old 03-17-2018, 09:47 PM
jimmmya
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I now carry the 4 foot 1/2" tubbing along with jump box, mini compressor.plug kit and hand tools. I was up in Mt Rainer park when I ran into a bike on side of road with helmet on the ground in front of him. He was out of gas, many bikes had stoped and no one had a way of transferring fuel. I road to ranger station and informed them of the riders problem.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:14 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Thinking back to the times that I have had to make my own repairs, I also thought about the folks that I have "rescued" along the way and what I used to get me/them up and going.

In addition to the tools that came in my bike's tool kit:
Electrical tape.
Plastic zip ties.
Folding hex and torx wrenches.
Mini-air compressor.
Tubeless tire repair kit.
Siphon hose.
Spare fuse(s) and be sure that you have the proper style for your bike!

Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 AM
JerryK73
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Big_Iron (05-02-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 07:26 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Post #1 isn't a person asking a question, its someone linking to their article.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:24 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by guido4198
I love the "Cell phone and credit card" responses that usually follow this kind of thread.
Those folks must not get out much.

I've put more than 100k miles on my bike from coast to coast. Does that count as "getting out much"? I have never had a problem that could not be fixed with a cell phone or a credit card.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:28 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
To each his own, but I try not to pull in to a gas station that won't let me use a card at the pump.
I personally carry very little cash with me... ever. What little I do carry is there primarily for emergencies and convenience. I also carry more than one credit card, just in case one gets deactivated by the fraud detection system, which happens frequently.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:39 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got a few of these 13" tool bags. One holds my rain gear, and another I use for an on-the road tool kit; holds pretty much everything mentioned in this thread so far. On sale they're $5 at Ace Hardware.

If you're travelling by air and renting a bike at your destination, and you're travelling with your own took bag that contains a multi-tool like a Leatherman, or other utility bladed knife or sharp/pointed object, the bag needs to go into your checked luggage. I just toss everything in a backpack and check it in. Almost forgot, if you have a tire-kit which uses CO2 in your tool bag, you cannot take the C02 in your luggage.

Last edited by PoiDog; 03-24-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:21 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by PoiDog

I've got a few of these 13" tool bags. One holds my rain gear, and another I use for an on-the road tool kit; holds pretty much everything mentioned in this thread so far. On sale they're $5 at Ace Hardware.

If you're travelling by air and renting a bike at your destination, and you're travelling with your own took bag that contains a multi-tool like a Leatherman, or other utility bladed knife or sharp/pointed object, the bag needs to go into your checked luggage. I just toss everything in a backpack and check it in. Almost forgot, if you have a tire-kit which uses CO2 in your tool bag, you cannot take the C02 in your luggage.
I had one of those CO2 canisters blow apart in my hand...... now I have a very good hand pump.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:56 AM
Aviator5456
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I have those...in one I carry a set of ROK straps. In another I carry my rain pants, in the third one I carry medical supplies and the fourth I carry my tools, lots of them. I do have my cell phone, credit card but they don't do much good late at night or on a Sunday when everything's closed. And I do have towing through my insurance...but....I broke down a couple months ago with a stripped shifter shaft and I was 100 miles from home. I called the nearest dealer and they had one but were closing in an hour. The tow company said it would be at least an hour before they arrived. And it was during rush hour in SoCal. I dug through my tools, found the correct sized allen bit, took off the shifter, wrapped the shaft with some duct tape, put the shifter back on and was on the road in 30 minutes. That repair lasted a week when I finally got to my dealer. So yep, I'm a firm believer in carrying tools...lots of them.

Quick Reply: Must-Have Tools for Touring