Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Must-Have Tools for Touring

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Curated Content Editor
HDF Editor
Received 755 Likes on 372 Posts
Default Must-Have Tools for Touring

Must-Have Tools for Touring

Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,505 Likes on 1,609 Posts

I'm a product of the "Shovelhead" era and I STILL carry far too many tools, once a must, now paranoia I believe!

In reality, the little tool kit that comes with your bike, a tire plug kit and either the CO2 canisters or perhaps a mini-compressor, a credit card and a cell phone should get you most anywhere you need to go

Old 02-28-2018, 01:36 PM
PoiDog
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd add one of those portable jumper/power packs to the list.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:24 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Credit Card

The following users liked this post:
cacomly (04-16-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Bubba's Bagger
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Full Flask?

Old 03-01-2018, 04:05 AM
guido4198
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7,682 Likes on 2,315 Posts

I love the "Cell phone and credit card" responses that usually follow this kind of thread.
Those folks must not get out much.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:27 AM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Duct tape .. and cable ties, (large and small), amazing what these two items can do to get you out of trouble on the road..... And an assortment of tools you use for normal basic maintenance .....

Old 03-01-2018, 06:36 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

Cell phone and credit card is very last resort for sure... I carry a crap load in the saddle bag. Has come in handy a few times.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:41 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,629 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by PoiDog
I'd add one of those portable jumper/power packs to the list.
I carry one always. Helped out brothers on two occasions so far, not myself..... yet.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-01-2018, 01:26 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Three times last summer I used the HOG towing package. Once for a flat tire, once for a bad set of rear bearings and once because my Panhead would not start (that one was my fault, my clean spark plugs and the wrench where at home). This can be a very good thing to have, especially if your get remote, like on your way to Alaska, or out on 93 in Nevada.

When I lost the rear bearings, because I had warranty, it cost me notta. And from the time I called Road America (Hog's contractor) until I got back on the road it was about 4 hours total. Same with the flat, but I choose to put a new tire on the eGlide so I had to pay for that.

The portable jumper is also very important. I once used it to ride my Panhead back to the shop, even though the battery was dead and the Generator was kaput. Well, I got half way back anyway.

I don't trust the CO2 repair kits. I had one blow up in my hand once. I have a very good bicycle pump plus a plug kit for my eGlide and a tube for my Pan.

Duct tape, tie straps, locktite, Wrenches and sockets. Extra batteries for your FOB. Cash. Telling someone to take a Credit Card, is like telling them to make sure they take Rain Gear..... If I have to tell you that, oh boy.... Of course a Cell, twice last year it saved my *** when I needed a tow in.

Now, if you get remote, like I do, a really good tool is a Delorme InReach Satelite device. They can be charged on your bike, and you can use your Cell phone to text for help. I never used mine for an emergency, but did test it when I had no Cell service by texting people. They are not cheap, and there is a monthly service fee. But it could save your ***. Instead of abandoning your bike, you could get someone to call HOG for you, HOG texts you, and then by texting they sort out where you are, and who to dispatch to come fetch.

The following 3 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
donmontalvo (06-23-2019), MajorKG (03-03-2018), sasnyder (03-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Must-Have Tools for Touring