Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Rte 2 across WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, & WA Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:23 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
Which parts?
Cut bank to Havre

Old 04-19-2018, 09:36 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Architect
We rode from Glacier all the way to Michigan on Route 2, for me it was a great road. 70 MPH speed limit and no one else on it. Gas was not an issue, BUT hotel/motels were. East of the Rockies in Montana is a whole lot of nothing as far as motels go. Give it a look. But gas, every town had at least one station, the towns were pretty regular at about 50-60 miles apart. Have fun, real nice road.
I am camping most of the way... in fact, all I think...

Old 04-19-2018, 09:37 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Cut bank to Havre
Rte 2 across WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, & WA.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:38 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member

As for a gas can, it would be a challenge to add anything to my carry-on. I am riding the 4 corners and I need all the space I can get! I am also worried about Texas along the Rio Grande in a couple of spots... plus one spot in NM.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,319 Likes on 2,201 Posts

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
Cut bank to Havre
Thanks.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,936 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
As for a gas can, it would be a challenge to add anything to my carry-on. I am riding the 4 corners and I need all the space I can get! I am also worried about Texas along the Rio Grande in a couple of spots... plus one spot in NM.
My bike only gets 150 miles per tank (5 gallon tank and motor work) so when going to these kinds of areas, I plan my day based on the gas stations. Nebraska in 2016 was a pain, but made it work.

Utah in 2017 heading south to Moki Dugway we almost didn't make it. An unscheduled detour into a National Bridges Monument messed up my mileage, I was cutting it real close to begin with, and I was convinced we would not make it to Mexican Hat, next gas stop. While in the park thinking about what to do, I notice the Jeep parked next to me had a gas can on the roof rack. When the guy came back I asked if I could buy a gallon from him, he gave me the entire 2.5 gallons and refused my money. He also told me to have a blessed day. I returned the blessing and made it to Mexican Hat.

It gets real out west, stuff is much further away then you think it is. If you are doing the four corners, even a one gallon can might be a real good idea.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 AM
DannyB
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
You will NOT need a spare gas can. I've ridden 2 across ND and MT, to/from Glacier with zero problems or concerns. Just check road conditions; we ran into some construction and detours back in '06, but no biggie.

Ride safe and have fun!

Old 04-20-2018, 02:08 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,319 Likes on 2,201 Posts

So what's the deal with Indian country.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:16 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by DGDeuce
So what's the deal with Indian country.
Country is extremely large ( large reservations ) little or no "towns" as you know it and gas extremely rare.....so you need to be prepared..... they are not like, monument valley where there's a tourist rest stop, museum etc. etc.....up north, nothing.....

Old 04-20-2018, 07:18 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Food for thought with the gas can... you might run into someone else who needs it. If you have spots on the trip you're worried about, why have it be a worry? Yeah it's one more thing but as giacomo found, you can get a flat one that just straps on top to something else. If not, again no less than half a tank.

I'd also recommend carrying a bottle of water too, and a little bit to eat. If you break down it could be a long while.

I don't recommend sleeping at truck stops or on the rez. I also recommend carrying at least a pistol if you plan on sleeping in a tent. If nothing else lot of wild animals in MT.

The following 2 users liked this post by CaptainAwesome:
cwsharp (04-20-2018), giacomo56 (04-20-2018)

Quick Reply: Rte 2 across WI, MN, ND, MT, ID, & WA Help