Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Annapolis to Nova Scotia on a sportie "72"

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:15 AM
hmnavy72
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I am back! After several weeks at sea, with no-barley any cell signal/data I am happy to be back on land and excited to update this form for the YOU, the readers.

Before my cruise I was lucky enough to spend Memorial Day with my wife as we packed up the Sportie for the long weekend were we planned to camp along the Blue Ridge Park Way. For the readers who do a lot of touring already know how important it is to not only make sure the bike is performing to best it can but also the rider/passenger need to be in shape. Last year before our cross country (see form link in 1st post to read about it) the wife and myself took several camping trips/day trips that not only proved the bike’s reliability but also it brought the reality of spending 10 hours a day in the saddle. Those really help condition us both mentally and physically.

This year has been different, with my wife’s school schedule change that has her working till mid june, my cruise for 2/3 of June and the weather also has not been the best in our area. All of this combined has pretty much made any day trip/overnight camping damn near impossible to plan but that all changed for Memorial Day weekend. With already have some knowledge about the BRPW (thanks HD FORM MEMBERS) I already knew that doing the entire parkway wasn’t going to happen, ½ or even ¼ of it over the long holiday weekend so we just made the best of it.

A few days prior to the long weekend I managed to book a camping Site pretty close to exit 168 (off of 81) in VA. Along with that we made sure to set up the tent to ensure all the stakes, fly and ground tarp were still in usable condition. We went thru the hassle of packing clothes, hygiene items and tools that we will need for our trip.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:25 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

This is how all our road trips start out (see gas station picture). Riders who has a “48” or “72” know this sight very well as the small 2.2gal tank needs topped off very frequently. Also a keen eye will notice my bike is set up in ”touring mode” aka, a sundowner seat and stock shock adjustment and of course the small gas can dangling off the bag. Of course my wife is smiling as the old saying goes. “even the worst day on the Harley is better than the best day at work”.

Old 06-25-2018, 03:37 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

I have lost count the number of times I have traveled around DC and took 66 west to Front Royal, however after stopping at our usual gas stop (the WAWA on 29 in Gainesville exit 43B) we decided to take 66 all the way to 81 which is a new route as we exit 66 (exit 23) and take the two lane “scenic byway” to Front Royal. Traffic around DC was great, traffic on 66 was great and it was smooth sailing. A pit stop at Denny’s for a late morning brunch before we continued down 81.

We took 81 down to 64 to skip the skyline drive. We have done the skyline in the past and really wanted to concur some new roads. Unfortunately lady luck was not on our side…moments after posing in front of the parkway sign the skys opened up and the cats/dogs started to fall. I’ve ridden in the rain many times, I’vo gotten wet and cold to the point of shivering at every gas stop, but this was a different kind of wet…..i could feel my bones getting wet. At that moment I pulled off the road and sought cover under a tree until the sky cleared up, but also I was worried about my new air intake/ cleaner. The filter element is pretty open and I opted out of buying a rain sock for it, so the entire time I was worried about sucking water into the engine and the possiblity of hydro locking it.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:05 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

At last! The sky was clear, and we could continue on the parkway, however we wasted alot of time while waiting for the rain to stop that we had to get off the parkway and back to 81 where the speed limit is alot higher with the road being straighter. We wanted to find and check into the camp ground and set up our camping site before dinner time.
Of course the rain made the whole campground muddy which of course is on the side of the mountain and our camping spot was near the top. I had to ride my bike thru some serious mud holes ( see picture).

Probably one of the worst feelings in the world…waking up in the morning and putting on soaking wet blue jeans, socks and then leather boots. Yay yay, they make/sell rain gear and boot skirts and all that jazz…I rather just be wet lol

The campground was really nice for being off the beaten path, they had a pond and a swimming pool. Activities to sign up for during the day (family trivia, bingo, basketball ect) and a large club house with a small restaurant. This campground was more of an RV park I would say. Many of the large motorhomes looked set-up for a long stay, plus EVERYONE had a golf cart and everyone knew each other.

Typical camping spot. From what i saw we were the only tent. Everyone who passed our site checked loved the bike. Look behide my front wheel and see the mud caked onto the bike.

This photo has a glimpse of the pool and pond. There was a band set up that played for several hours. the "locals" seemed to have a good time and should of had a DD for their golf cart :P

Old 06-25-2018, 04:19 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

The rest of the stay involved cruising the park way and all of its side roads (thanks to other form readers). One day we made a day out of visiting Lynchburg VA (and no, not where Jack Daniels is made, that’s in TN) down town near the river and RR was really neat and full of yuppies. We ate down there at a restaurant that was more “upscale” than I realized at first glance. We walked in smelling horribly, I was still wet from the day before, my leather AMF jacket and RedWings were still soaked and there we were getting cloth napkins placed on our laps while asked what type of water we wanted. (bottle, tap, sparkling, rock/no rocks). BUT their red tuna was amazing so it was worth the weird looks.

Of course a stop by the Harley dealer was necessary where I purchased a t-shirt and glanced at their rain gear (haha). While in town we stopped by their park and I was pratty impressed with it. The locals must pay a lot of taxes because that park was over the top. A nice walking path, signs and displays about the history of the town and even featured a small splash park for the kids.

Below are some various photos taken while out cruising the parkway and some of the lesser roads.

Old 06-25-2018, 04:30 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

This is the typical view that many will see at the northen end of BRPW

found a gravel road while out exploring. the 21in wheel didnt like the gravel all two well. after this we decided to find the parkway again

My wife while we traveled the gravel road. Maybe avoid this road and stay on the parkway lol

another nice view, being eye level with the clouds is neat.

While at lynchburg's city park, we found a nice bench with a view of an old RR bridge.

This stream followed the road back to the campground. notice how dry i am? yah this was on the way home lol

We luckly discovered "Peaks of Otter' lodge that offeres a breakfest buffet. Crappy photo of our table with the great lake/mountian view.

This view can be seen in their dining room, so if you go (Peaks of Otter) ask for a window seat!

Old 06-25-2018, 05:12 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by runnhrd
When heading into Canada the CBSA (Canadian Customs) may ask you to validate you have motorcycle insurance in Canada. Some insurance companies that are in the US do not cover in Canada. Just something to think about. It is a long ride up there and well don't want that OH CRAP factor when they say you can not come in due to no insurance.
Thank you for the information, lucky I renew my policy in May and got Progressives Road Side helped and I mentioned about my up-coming trip, so the agent went ahead and set me up with a card.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 PM
Willi
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good stuff! Have a great ride.

Old 07-01-2018, 09:34 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dupton2000

Two years ago I rode from Baltimore to Vermont, Maine, PEI, Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail), New Brunswick and then over to Ottawa then home. I hadn’t known about the Cabbot Trail Biker until I got home. (https://cabottrailbiker.com/)

His name is Daniel and if he is available he will ride with you and show you all the spots to stop and take a pic or visit along the Cabot Trail. We mapped out our own trip and I missed some things as I found out after the fact. If you are into patches he also has his own that’s looks cool.

If you have not seen the short online documentary check out the video Harley did a year or so ago that he was in.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I ride and camp and can tell you the places we stayed.

Enjoy the ride. It was one of my favorites so far.

Dave
I can't seem to DM, maybe your profile is to new?
i am interested in the places you camped at.

thank you

Last edited by hmnavy72; 07-01-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:46 PM
hmnavy72
Cruiser

Over this past weekend I decided to put some miles on the bike to help make sure it will
be ready for the trip next month. Since I havnt done any long trips on this "stage 1" set-up I was interested in seeing how it does over distance.

On on Friday I set my sites on the great hills of WV as I screamed across the mountains, I was surprised to avg about 48mpg with the pipes and AC and the engine spending about 7hours at 3600rpm. There was a few time where my fuel light would come on at 71-73miles.

however on the way home, about 250 miles away I noticed my front drag pipe vibrating more than ussually, so I took the next exit and found a Sheetz (Sheetz>wawa) and discovered my pipe bracket broke. Lucky the bolt was still there and the pipe could only move about 1/4 inch.
With me having limited tools here in Maryland I took today as an opportunity to call after to a few welding shops to see if someone could fab up a better bracket or perhaps use a P-clamp on the front pipe.

sadly, I only remembered to take this one picture of my 700+mile trip. I have an appointment set up for new tires and I'll report back with the new front pipe set up.

Cant wait till August!

Quick Reply: Annapolis to Nova Scotia on a sportie "72"