Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

5 States, 557 Miles, 13 Hours

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,758 Likes on 6,896 Posts
Default 5 States, 557 Miles, 13 Hours

This rain has really slowed our riding down this summer. Once again more raining coming this weekend. Tuesday I was looking at the forecast and Wednesday looked to be a beautiful day weather wise.

I sent the wife a text and asked if she wanted to ride tomorrow? Of course the immediate reply was YES! I entered my PTO in the system and asked her to write down three destinations she would like to ride to within 250 miles one way. I did the same and we compared that evening. Funny we both put down Myrtle Beach for lunch and the Cherohala Skyway both of which we have done on one day rides. I put down “5 States Ride”. The wife asked about that and I told her we can do NC, TN, VA, KY and WV. She immediately said she wants to do that.

We left our undisclosed bunker west of the twin city that tobacco built at 7am yesterday morning heading North on Hwy 421. It was 69 degrees when we left and we soon found 63 degrees at the summit where we crossed the Blue Ridge. We stopped in Mountain City Tennessee for breakfast. Would normally have riden the snake across but wanted a change and to make better time. Our next destination was Mine Shaft HD in Pikeville, KY. We took 91 over to Damascus and then hit 58 to Abington, St. Paul and Pound. Then caught 23 up to Pikeville. That is really beautiful country up there. We stopped at the dealership and got a shirt and poker chips. Met some really nice and very friendly folks at the hamburger shop next door where we had lunch. Then we took 119 all the way to Charleston, WV. And finally caught I-77 back to NC.

We stopped at Virginia exit 8 Fancy Gap for gas. There is a very small Bar BQ shop next to the BP that smelled GREAT. The wife said let’s eat there. They have one picnic table outside and we shared it with a very interesting guy from Italy that spoke good English. The BBQ was awesome! If you are up that way check it out. Two large sandwiches, fresh home cut fries and two drinks was $19 bucks.

We got home at 8:10 PM with a BIG smile on our faces. My wife looked at me and said I bet you thought I could not hang! No that never crossed my mine. She has done more miles than that in one day and never complains. She really prides herself as always being ready to go in any conditions. I am a luck man!

Thank you Lord for a wonderful day, beautiful country and weather, a wonderful wife (best friend) a very enjoyable motorcycle and safe travels!

The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
JP7 (08-17-2018), road king Q (08-16-2018), stixvrad (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:34 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,087 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
This rain has really slowed our riding down this summer. Once again more raining coming this weekend. Tuesday I was looking at the forecast and Wednesday looked to be a beautiful day weather wise.

I sent the wife a text and asked if she wanted to ride tomorrow? Of course the immediate reply was YES! I entered my PTO in the system and asked her to write down three destinations she would like to ride to within 250 miles one way. I did the same and we compared that evening. Funny we both put down Myrtle Beach for lunch and the Cherohala Skyway both of which we have done on one day rides. I put down “5 States Ride”. The wife asked about that and I told her we can do NC, TN, VA, KY and WV. She immediately said she wants to do that.

We left our undisclosed bunker west of the twin city that tobacco built at 7am yesterday morning heading North on Hwy 421. It was 69 degrees when we left and we soon found 63 degrees at the summit where we crossed the Blue Ridge. We stopped in Mountain City Tennessee for breakfast. Would normally have riden the snake across but wanted a change and to make better time. Our next destination was Mine Shaft HD in Pikeville, KY. We took 91 over to Damascus and then hit 58 to Abington, St. Paul and Pound. Then caught 23 up to Pikeville. That is really beautiful country up there. We stopped at the dealership and got a shirt and poker chips. Met some really nice and very friendly folks at the hamburger shop next door where we had lunch. Then we took 119 all the way to Charleston, WV. And finally caught I-77 back to NC.

We stopped at Virginia exit 8 Fancy Gap for gas. There is a very small Bar BQ shop next to the BP that smelled GREAT. The wife said let’s eat there. They have one picnic table outside and we shared it with a very interesting guy from Italy that spoke good English. The BBQ was awesome! If you are up that way check it out. Two large sandwiches, fresh home cut fries and two drinks was $19 bucks.

We got home at 8:10 PM with a BIG smile on our faces. My wife looked at me and said I bet you thought I could not hang! No that never crossed my mine. She has done more miles than that in one day and never complains. She really prides herself as always being ready to go in any conditions. I am a luck man!

Thank you Lord for a wonderful day, beautiful country and weather, a wonderful wife (best friend) a very enjoyable motorcycle and safe travels!

What a great, positive post to read. Sounds like you had a really great ride and that's what its all about man.
Appreciate the positive stuff because there's no shortage of negative noise out there. Something I fail to do too often.
I'm heading down to the BRP ( from NJ) end of Sept and wanted some side routes for our return trip home.
Rather than double back on the BRP or jumping right onto Route 81 north, I figured a day on nice secondary roads that headed home would be a good option if time allowed
Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:49 AM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,497 Likes on 809 Posts

Mountain City Tennessee? Great place to eat there is the Tributary downtown. Say howdy to Ron the owner.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Nice! ... my kind of day.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by stixvrad
What a great, positive post to read. Sounds like you had a really great ride and that's what its all about man.
Appreciate the positive stuff because there's no shortage of negative noise out there. Something I fail to do too often.
I'm heading down to the BRP ( from NJ) end of Sept and wanted some side routes for our return trip home.
Rather than double back on the BRP or jumping right onto Route 81 north, I figured a day on nice secondary roads that headed home would be a good option if time allowed
Any suggestions?
Stix,
Thanks for the kind words. As for the BRP I could ride it every day. Some think it is boring, but to me it is beautiful, quiet and a slow pace which I enjoy. It sounds like you are doing the whole things North to South. If so there are a few places on and near I suggest you check out.

Freebornes and Stations Inn Motorcycle Resorts - BRP and Hwy 18 Laurel Springs

Blowing Rock - Hop off at Hwy 321 and go South just a few miles and turn right to downtown. Very nice

Mt Mitchell - Highest elevation east of the Mississippi

Switzerland Inn - Little Switzerland. Very nice hotel and shops, great food, million dollar view.

South of Little Switzerland off the BRP is Hwy 226A known as the Diamondback. You can run down that go west and take Hwy 80 back up to the BRP. Two exceptional local roads.

I assume you will end up in Cherokee which is right at the Nantahala River, the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway.

On your return trip I would head for Mountain City, TN. Ride the SNAKE which is Hwy 421 to Shady Valley, Tn. Stop at the famous store there. You will not miss it. Then out of the store ride Hwy 133 NE to Damascus. You will ride though beautiful country and pass through the world’s shortest tunnel!

At Damascus take Hwy 58 east. It is a wonderful ride, very twisty and you are in the middle of Christmas tree country. When you get to Volney turn left (north) on Hwy 16. Another GREAT local road that takes you up into Virginia. North of I-81 you go through Hungry Mother State Park which has a really good restaurant on the lake. Then just north of there is becomes the “Back of the Dragon” which is pretty wicked. You’ll hit 460 near Tazewell and can pick your route home from there.

Enjoy and have a safe trip.

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-16-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

What a great Ride report! Sounds like you’ve got a keeper there!

Old 08-16-2018, 09:13 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

This weather really has sucked all summer! I've been planning a trip over to the Dragon for several months and it's either pouring rain here or over there or both and in between. Finally caught a break 2 weekends ago and said last minuter, screw it I'm going right now!!! 877 miles in 30 hours. Could have gone there and back but after eating this for a late lunch I became way too sleepy to ride 400 miles back home so camped overnight. Left very early and just made it home before one of the worst lightning storms I've ever seen hit here in W Tn.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 08-16-2018 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
This weather really has sucked all summer! I've been planning a trip over to the Dragon for several months and it's either pouring rain here or over there or both and in between. Finally caught a break 2 weekends ago and said last minuter, screw it I'm going right now!!! 877 miles in 30 hours. Could have gone there and back but after eating this for a late lunch I became way too sleepy to ride 400 miles back home so camped overnight. Left very early and just made it home before one of the worst lightning storms I've ever seen hit here in W Tn.
Nice that’s the way you have to do it sometimes!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 08-16-2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:40 AM
WRE4U
Road Master

Received 215 Likes on 125 Posts

Nice ride!! Were you two up?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:34 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WRE4U
Nice ride!! Were you two up?
Yes we ride two up.