Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Central Mass to Niagara Falls - Sept

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 05:44 PM
sbcvulcan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Central Mass to Niagara Falls - Sept

I had a couple of questions regarding a potential trip to Niagara Falls.

1. Does it make sense to go from Central Mass to Niagara Falls and back with only two overnights? we would really not want to do the major highways both back and forth.

2. NY thruway, RTe 90, looks most direct but is it rural, a bore, areas to avoid?

3. Is there an alternative upstate trip that makes more sense for three days and two nights out with the intent of not spending the whole trip on the highway back and forth

Any thoughts or ideas regarding this is appreciated. Thank you. I'm trying to plan for a small group upstate for so it is on me.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:24 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

I think 2 nights & 3 days is plenty, but Niagara Falls isn't the only thing in NY. Do a Google search on Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen NY, but also PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge State Park, and Kinzua Dam ---- all in northern PA, real close to NY. You could get a room for a couple nights near Watkins Glen, and use it as your home base. Easy day trips for all the stuff I mentioned. Some great rides around the Finger Lakes near Watkins Glen. I think 3 days is plenty, but if you go to the falls there won't be time for anything else. Or if you go see a few of the things I mentioned, you won't have time for Niagara Falls. The NY Thruway isn't real exciting, nor is it real boring. It's just the fastest way to go from east to west, like every other turnpike. The busiest parts of it will be around Albany & Buffalo.

Last edited by Geezr Glidr; 08-16-2018 at 06:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sbcvulcan (08-16-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 08:04 AM
rnl_1200C
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
I think 2 nights & 3 days is plenty, but Niagara Falls isn't the only thing in NY. Do a Google search on Letchworth State Park, Watkins Glen NY, but also PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge State Park, and Kinzua Dam ---- all in northern PA, real close to NY. You could get a room for a couple nights near Watkins Glen, and use it as your home base. Easy day trips for all the stuff I mentioned. Some great rides around the Finger Lakes near Watkins Glen. I think 3 days is plenty, but if you go to the falls there won't be time for anything else. Or if you go see a few of the things I mentioned, you won't have time for Niagara Falls. The NY Thruway isn't real exciting, nor is it real boring. It's just the fastest way to go from east to west, like every other turnpike. The busiest parts of it will be around Albany & Buffalo.
+1 - Bring your passport and go to the Canadian side over the Rainbow Bridge. I went to Niagara Falls some years ago and was surprised how much of a dump the American side was, and the Canadian side was much cleaner and much more to do. Maybe it has changed.

The following users liked this post:
sbcvulcan (08-16-2018)
Old 08-17-2018, 07:24 AM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Agree with all the above. A lot will depend on your riding style. Do you ride 8 hrs a day or more like 12.

Rt 20 runs parallel to 90 to the south. It’s more scenic and interesting but will take longer. Perhaps forgo Niagara Falls until you have more time and consider the Adirondacks for this trip?

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great trip!