Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

5 States, 557 Miles, 13 Hours

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:41 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

Stix,
Thanks for the kind words. As for the BRP I could ride it every day. Some think it is boring, but to me it is beautiful, quiet and a slow pace which I enjoy. It sounds like you are doing the whole things North to South. If so there are a few places on and near I suggest you check out.

Freebornes and Stations Inn Motorcycle Resorts - BRP and Hwy 18 Laurel Springs

Blowing Rock - Hop off at Hwy 321 and go South just a few miles and turn right to downtown. Very nice

Mt Mitchell - Highest elevation east of the Mississippi

Switzerland Inn - Little Switzerland. Very nice hotel and shops, great food, million dollar view.

South of Little Switzerland off the BRP is Hwy 226A known as the Diamondback. You can run down that go west and take Hwy 80 back up to the BRP. Two exceptional local roads.

I assume you will end up in Cherokee which is right at the Nantahala River, the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway.

On your return trip I would head for Mountain City, TN. Ride the SNAKE which is Hwy 421 to Shady Valley, Tn. Stop at the famous store there. You will not miss it. Then out of the store ride Hwy 133 NE to Damascus. You will ride though beautiful country and pass through the world’s shortest tunnel!

At Damascus take Hwy 58 east. It is a wonderful ride, very twisty and you are in the middle of Christmas tree country. When you get to Volney turn left (north) on Hwy 16. Another GREAT local road that takes you up into Virginia. North of I-81 you go through Hungry Mother State Park which has a really good restaurant on the lake. Then just north of there is becomes the “Back of the Dragon” which is pretty wicked. You’ll hit 460 near Tazewell and can pick your route home from there.

Enjoy and have a safe trip.

Thanks so much for the tips .. Much appreciated ! Yeah ,we're planning to do the whole 460 miles ( not doing Skyline ).. Its been 30 years since I was last there and it was on sport bike and I did it alone . The Road King is much more suited to it.
Thanks again,

Ron

Old 08-20-2018, 04:20 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,752 Likes on 6,896 Posts

Originally Posted by stixvrad
Thanks so much for the tips .. Much appreciated ! Yeah ,we're planning to do the whole 460 miles ( not doing Skyline ).. Its been 30 years since I was last there and it was on sport bike and I did it alone . The Road King is much more suited to it.
Thanks again,

Ron
Ron,

You are sure welcome. Enjoy your ride and spend lots of $$$$$$$ in NC! lol

Mark

Old 08-20-2018, 04:40 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback

Stix,
Thanks for the kind words. As for the BRP I could ride it every day. Some think it is boring, but to me it is beautiful, quiet and a slow pace which I enjoy. It sounds like you are doing the whole things North to South. If so there are a few places on and near I suggest you check out.

Freebornes and Stations Inn Motorcycle Resorts - BRP and Hwy 18 Laurel Springs

Blowing Rock - Hop off at Hwy 321 and go South just a few miles and turn right to downtown. Very nice

Mt Mitchell - Highest elevation east of the Mississippi

Switzerland Inn - Little Switzerland. Very nice hotel and shops, great food, million dollar view.

South of Little Switzerland off the BRP is Hwy 226A known as the Diamondback. You can run down that go west and take Hwy 80 back up to the BRP. Two exceptional local roads.

I assume you will end up in Cherokee which is right at the Nantahala River, the Tail of the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway.

On your return trip I would head for Mountain City, TN. Ride the SNAKE which is Hwy 421 to Shady Valley, Tn. Stop at the famous store there. You will not miss it. Then out of the store ride Hwy 133 NE to Damascus. You will ride though beautiful country and pass through the world’s shortest tunnel!

At Damascus take Hwy 58 east. It is a wonderful ride, very twisty and you are in the middle of Christmas tree country. When you get to Volney turn left (north) on Hwy 16. Another GREAT local road that takes you up into Virginia. North of I-81 you go through Hungry Mother State Park which has a really good restaurant on the lake. Then just north of there is becomes the “Back of the Dragon” which is pretty wicked. You’ll hit 460 near Tazewell and can pick your route home from there.

Enjoy and have a safe trip.

I'm taking notes here. Great post! I've only done a few sections of the BRP over the years.