Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Where to stay in Utah

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM
martyb
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where to stay in Utah

We're planning a trip to Utah next summer. And would like to know if we should stay in one spot for or home base. Or should we stay in different parts of the state.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I think of Utah mostly as a point to point riding area. Which direction are you coming from?

Old 09-20-2018, 07:32 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Utah is pretty big. You are going to want to move around from Park to Park and find a place to stay at each location. Moab and Zion are pricey, but worth it. Last summer we did a counterclockwise tour beginning and ending in Salt Lake (which we flew into). Took about 10 days, could have been 14 days easy. The parks and riding are amazing. I thought it would be great, it was spectacular. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:07 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

We did Utah this summer based out of Kanab:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...pic-heavy.html

Kanab is far south, situated roughly equidistant to Zion, Bryce and the North Rim in AZ. It's small with a walkable downtown, we stayed in a vacation rental. We Rode out on Hwy 12 through Torrey.

Didn't get into the Moab area, but had great riding around Kanab. Good place to base out IMHO (Utah liquor laws notwithstanding).

The following users liked this post:
keith_stepp (10-01-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 04:18 PM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

You could probably make a couple of 'base camps' in Southern Utah, like maybe St. George area and then maybe the Moab area. You can catch all the National Parks/Monuments/amazing stutff in the South, then head up North to maybe Salt Lake City area, and spend a couple days with all the canyons, West Desert/Salt Flats, etc.

I live about 30 minutes or so West of Salt Lake, so I would be happy to help with any ideas or questions you have. Either post here or PM me if you are so inclined.

keith_stepp (10-01-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 PM
martyb
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. We plan on riding to Grand Junction then crossing over to Utah. I wonder if we can spend two or three nights at two location. If that would give us enough time to see every thing. And what area would we want to stay.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:52 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

Ideas on this would be easier and more specific if you told us where you are wanting to see and how long you got.

Southern hub for a few and then a northern for some sounds like a plan

son of the hounds (09-22-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 08:56 AM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

Four years ago, I spent a few nights in MT Carmel at a mom and pop motel. Old but nice and relatively cheap. It is just outside Zion and about an hour from Bryce Canyon. There is a good little restaurant south of there where you turn to go to Zion. Good food. This year I camped a couple of days at Bryce Canyon. Utah, is amazing.

When I was headed south from WY, I took 189 from Heber City to Provo. Four lane dropping down through a Canyon, at least that is how I would describe it. It was a beautiful ride. Then 6 over to Green River.

But Hwy 12 is one of my favorite rides. Just awesome.

I stayed one night in Moab a couple of years ago. It is HOT in Moab. Arches was very nice that evening.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:13 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Been soul searching where the wife and I might go next year. I think you guys have solved my quarry.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:55 PM
Cab Lizzard
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Next time take Hwy 150 out of Evanston Wy thru the Uinta national forest to 189 . Provo canyon is 189 if you take the turn off to Sundance ski resort just below the dam it will take you to American fork canyon ( Back side of Snowbird and Alta ski resorts) which comes out on I-15 Just South of Salt Lake City. Now is the time to go when the leaves start to turn colors.

I pushed the wrong button Grandslam

Last edited by Cab Lizzard; 09-21-2018 at 11:57 PM.
wyoming55 (10-03-2018)

Quick Reply: Where to stay in Utah