Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips-23/)
-   -   First Saddle sore 1000 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/1257811-first-saddle-sore-1000-a.html)

brittct 10-31-2018 12:06 AM

Thanks for all the advice and tips.

Originally Posted by M8USA (Post 17793304)
Not to be nosy but what is your age. Two weeks ago I left Maryland at 5:00am, 44 degrees, for Florida on my first long distance ride thinking I might get the SS1k. Cold weather was not too bad, I am 71 years old and always get under 24hrs to south Florida by car. had a mechanical issue so check your maps so you know which Harley dealers are right off I95. ie, exit 97 in NC and Black Jack HD in Florence, SC.
I got as far as Brunswick GA, 700 miles at 7:00pm. Having to stop at Harley meant getting in too late for my final destination. For me theres always the trip back up north to try again.

You might consider a 2-3 day trip leaving on Friday. Go thru Atlanta, down 75 to Naples. Across Tamiami trail and back up north via 95. After the 1k you can relax and enjoy the warm Florida weather for a short while.

I am 21, I am doing a long consecutive trip in Dec. I am just wanting to knock out the SS 1000 just as a bucket list/milestone accomplishment.

AtticusFinch 10-31-2018 10:48 AM

I like the idea of having a good long day or two under your belt at some point before you try the SS1000, but there's no need to go out of your way to get them. Before my first SS1000, I think my longest day was about 470 miles from my home to Cooke City, MT. That ride, two up on a Super Glide, was actually more difficult than the Ironbutt, which came about 4 yeas later on my Road King. You really just need some practice with efficient pit stops, going on when you'd really rather stop, and learning how to keep yourself alert. Good luck and have fun. You'll be fine.

HiDrag 10-31-2018 10:51 AM

Depends on the time of day. Many times you can save a ton of time going straight through on 95

Originally Posted by Architect (Post 17766516)
Make sure you take the bypass at Jacksonville, otherwise you are going to get stuck in traffic. Good luck.

cacomly 10-31-2018 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by AtticusFinch (Post 17794186)
I like the idea of having a good long day or two under your belt at some point before you try the SS1000, but there's no need to go out of your way to get them. Before my first SS1000, I think my longest day was about 470 miles from my home to Cooke City, MT. That ride, two up on a Super Glide, was actually more difficult than the Ironbutt, which came about 4 yeas later on my Road King. You really just need some practice with efficient pit stops, going on when you'd really rather stop, and learning how to keep yourself alert. Good luck and have fun. You'll be fine.

Like many things, it depends ...

The main reason I'd say one needs a few long days behind them before starting on a SS1K it to make sure the bike is set up properly. It would suck to find out after riding 5-600 miles that your neck hurts because you are reaching for the handle bars too much or your seat isn't as comfortable as you thought

As for being efficient, a SS1K can be done in a little over 14 hours riding time doing 70 mph. That leaves lots of time for fuel stops. Obviously you don't want to take ridiculous amounts of time and you want to save time for unexpected issues, but there is no need to be rushed. My last SS1K I rode to Hillbilly Hotdogs in WV with a friend and a guy doing his first SS1K. We took 10 minute breaks for fuel and spent probably 2-3 hours at Hillbilly Hotdogs and got home with an hour or two to spare. I was on my Heritage with a 150 mile range

dh_meyer 10-31-2018 11:22 AM

One of the tips I benefited most from, when I prepared for my SS1000, was advice to NOT eat meals during the ride - instead just eat something like a 'granola bar' and drink some sort of 'gatoraide' type of drink during a gas stop. For me, I get drowsy about an hour after eating, so by eating SOMETHING, but sorta minimal, was a big help to me.

Another item I'll throw out ............ knowing it does not apply to the OP, but perhaps others reading this, is to take advantage of additional daylight by traveling west. I dont like riding at night (ie deer), so I tried to gain some daylight using this approach. Along the same lines (again, does NOT apply to the OP), gain some daylight by doing this closer to the 1st day of summer.

cacomly 11-01-2018 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by dh_meyer (Post 17794291)
One of the tips I benefited most from, when I prepared for my SS1000, was advice to NOT eat meals during the ride - instead just eat something like a 'granola bar' and drink some sort of 'gatoraide' type of drink during a gas stop. For me, I get drowsy about an hour after eating, so by eating SOMETHING, but sorta minimal, was a big help to me.

Another item I'll throw out ............ knowing it does not apply to the OP, but perhaps others reading this, is to take advantage of additional daylight by traveling west. I dont like riding at night (ie deer), so I tried to gain some daylight using this approach. Along the same lines (again, does NOT apply to the OP), gain some daylight by doing this closer to the 1st day of summer.

I'd save the Gator aide for a hot day where you are sweating a lot and need to replace the electrolytes and stuff you use. Gator aide has lots of carbs in it and can give you that sugar crash. There are other brands out there with less carbs. However, I'd say water is best. As for eating I agree with not eating a big meal. I vary on what I eat. Sometimes I will grab some beef jerky, sometimes I will grab a hotdog, and sometimes I will grab a sandwich. It depends on how hungry I get. During the Iron Butt Rally I an practically living on the bike for 18-20 hours a day so all my meals are on the bike except for whatever I eat before I go to bed. I've even gone through a drive through on my bike and eaten a burger as I rode away.

While the first SS1K seems daunting and you should not take it lightly, there is no need to rush as I said earlier. When you rush you make mistakes. Be smooth and efficient. Take a break if you need to but don't spend 30 minutes simply talking after you get gas

HFS 11-09-2018 11:16 PM

I'm by no means an IBA expert. However what has worked for me has been mentioned in this thread.

I have Clearwater Darlas as auxiliary lighting. Helps you see the deer if you're lookin, but not so much with the swamp donkeys. (Moose - they're eyes don't reflect).

I also try to leave between midnight and 03:00 - then your "dark riding" is done at the beginning of the ride, when you're fresher.

I think summer is better, but I'm in Canada. Of course I'd say that.

I don't eat much if anything either. But I'm carrying extra. I don't do cocaine or amphetamines, I'm not an advocate of taking drugs. I've had a red bull now and then. So I guess by eights caffeine and taurine etc are drugs...

I think a heated vest is good, but depends on your location I suppose.

I like my GPS, but I prefer a Garmin 660 or maybe that new one 595?

Anyhow - know your limits and ride within them. IBAs are an awesome achievement, but not worth your life or getting hurt.

I also plan my my trip to ensure there will be fuel within my travel range. I use a google sheets spreadsheet so it is live and accessible and editable on the ride. I use google maps to plot the route and enter the time and distance. I beat google maps distance so the buffer is nice. I plan on 10 minutes for fuel which allows for a small coffee and "respectable" pee...

I'm contemplating a BB1500 to Vegas perhaps or would also like to do the Border to Border Gold. My issue there is the Mexico entry and need for insurance. I'd buy a dollar of gas on top of a full tank of Chevron premium.

Best, best of luck to you, my rides were all done in 16 hr 40 min. Those included quite a bit of slower riding at ~60 mph, so it all works out.

Stay safe.
Watch the weather.

H

BelchFire 11-12-2018 06:27 PM

Regrading Jax and I-95, vs. I-295. How would the IBA verify the additional mileage that you would achieve if you went around? There is much more mileage at Atlanta and 75/285, than Jax, but the question remains. Do you have to buy gas on the outskirts to prove the additional miles?

cacomly 11-13-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SoGA (Post 17822322)
Regrading Jax and I-95, vs. I-295. How would the IBA verify the additional mileage that you would achieve if you went around? There is much more mileage at Atlanta and 75/285, than Jax, but the question remains. Do you have to buy gas on the outskirts to prove the additional miles?

You need receipts to document your ride, otherwise they will assume the most direct route was taken. You need to consider the advantage of claiming those miles vs. the time taken for the extra receipt.

cowboydoc 11-14-2018 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by SoGA (Post 17822322)

One way (in addition to the receipts) is a gps tracker app (like Spotwalla or Life360) that shows your route.