Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

I know I'm gonna catch flack for this...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,978 Likes on 1,420 Posts

If I ever won one of the big lotteries, I would have a huge rv with a professional driver following myself and my three riding buddies with all our luggage and comforts. The rv would also have a large trailer attached, one big enough for all our bikes if necessary for some reason.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Flak.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:59 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bluster
Flak.
Yeah, realized that after it was too late to edit.

Thanks for giving me flak on the flack post.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 11-07-2019, 10:03 PM
razors edge
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

DK,
We also utilize the toy hauler to enhance the riding experience. Been doing for 4 yrs. We live just south of Beaumont tx and what we call running the slab is no longer enjoyable. We can agree that sleeping in your own bed is way better than an air mattress or a motel room. We were like you, tent camped, slept in motel rooms and on the just where ever. We no longer have anything to prove to anybody.
Our toy hauler is a 28 ft Winnebago with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram (Diesel). Is it cost effective, don't really care. It's what we enjoy when it comes to doing road trips. Usually we pick a spot of interest and treat the camper as a base camp and do day trips and try to see all the sites.
Only thing I have to offer you is to keep an eagle eye

on the wheel bearings. I generally repack them twice a year. My next improvement is the TPMS for the air pressure on the trailer tires. I work offshore therefore my work schedule is 14 days on 14 days off. In this picture we had just replaced the awning. 200 bucks off of amazon. Getting some free labor out of the two guys in the back ground. I feed them many years. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,405 Likes on 2,960 Posts

I think your set-up is awesome.

Then I recall that "TopGear" episode where the 3 lads go caravanning...

DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 09:11 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't think I will ever go that route, but it makes sense to me, especially at my age. At 64, as you say, riding 3-4 days to get the area you want to ride in is physically taxing, to say nothing of the actual costs in time and money. This was my ride this summer:

With all do respect to my brothers in the Midwest, I really don't have any desire to ride across Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or eastern South Dakota again. So I either have to do what you're doing or start flying and renting. So I get it. When I was younger, I might have given you grief for trailering. But I get it now.

DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

We have made many trips across the country and I agree that it sure is a long haul to get from Alabama to the Rockies, etc. But, once you arrive it is spectacular.

We haul 2 Heritage Classics, with a 35 ft MXT. Tow with a F250 King Ranch Super Duty that pulls and rides like a dream. Plenty of room for the bikes.

It is very comfortable for us, but if I had kids it would not be. When the bikes are out, the garage converts to a second bedroom, but we mostly put all our clothes, boots, etc and use it as a dressing room.

If I had to do over, I would have got the next larger size with a second slide in the kitchen area.

Everything about traveling this way is about compromise. I see much larger rigs that really make me wonder how they pull in the wind crossing the midwest.

DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM
duckbagger
Road Captain
Received 207 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD
We have made many trips across the country and I agree that it sure is a long haul to get from Alabama to the Rockies, etc. But, once you arrive it is spectacular.

We haul 2 Heritage Classics, with a 35 ft MXT. Tow with a F250 King Ranch Super Duty that pulls and rides like a dream. Plenty of room for the bikes.

It is very comfortable for us, but if I had kids it would not be. When the bikes are out, the garage converts to a second bedroom, but we mostly put all our clothes, boots, etc and use it as a dressing room.

If I had to do over, I would have got the next larger size with a second slide in the kitchen area.

Everything about traveling this way is about compromise. I see much larger rigs that really make me wonder how they pull in the wind crossing the midwest.
Really like that ramp extension did you do that yourself?

DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 05:11 AM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

The extension was an option and it is very useful. It would not be hard to build one.

The angle of the ramp makes a lot of difference in loading and unloading the bikes.

Last edited by ROUNDHEAD; 11-17-2019 at 05:18 AM.
DK Custom (11-17-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 10:24 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,954 Likes on 2,306 Posts

Originally Posted by razors edge
DK,
We also utilize the toy hauler to enhance the riding experience. Been doing for 4 yrs. We live just south of Beaumont tx and what we call running the slab is no longer enjoyable. We can agree that sleeping in your own bed is way better than an air mattress or a motel room. We were like you, tent camped, slept in motel rooms and on the just where ever. We no longer have anything to prove to anybody.
Our toy hauler is a 28 ft Winnebago with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram (Diesel). Is it cost effective, don't really care. It's what we enjoy when it comes to doing road trips. Usually we pick a spot of interest and treat the camper as a base camp and do day trips and try to see all the sites.
Only thing I have to offer you is to keep an eagle eye

on the wheel bearings. I generally repack them twice a year. My next improvement is the TPMS for the air pressure on the trailer tires. I work offshore therefore my work schedule is 14 days on 14 days off. In this picture we had just replaced the awning. 200 bucks off of amazon. Getting some free labor out of the two guys in the back ground. I feed them many years. Lol.
Nice rig! Thanks for the heads up on the wheel bearings. We are enjoying this far more than we had hoped.

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I think your set-up is awesome.

Then I recall that "TopGear" episode where the 3 lads go caravanning...

Originally Posted by TKDKurt
I don't think I will ever go that route, but it makes sense to me, especially at my age. At 64, as you say, riding 3-4 days to get the area you want to ride in is physically taxing, to say nothing of the actual costs in time and money. This was my ride this summer:

With all do respect to my brothers in the Midwest, I really don't have any desire to ride across Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska or eastern South Dakota again. So I either have to do what you're doing or start flying and renting. So I get it. When I was younger, I might have given you grief for trailering. But I get it now.
Yep, like you, we've done enough straight line riding. We want to get to the mountains and curves!

Yeah, Mary had a sticker on her helmet...Silly Yuppie-Trailers are for Boats.... That's gone. haha.

Originally Posted by ROUNDHEAD

Nice rig!

Yes, it is a compromise, but it was time for us.

As we've gotten older we realize we have limited time left on this planet, and would rather spend it riding the best possible roads, rather than days of long straight interstate, and hours dealing with motels.

Quick Reply: I know I'm gonna catch flack for this...