Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

whiskey tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 10:36 PM
mnbnd
Road Captain
Received 341 Likes on 178 Posts

Hey grosser - I see yur from oconomowok! I’m in the booze business and have been in yur neck of the woods on a number of occasions. I’ve also ridden around up there too, thru wi, mn, etc - luv it up there.

Sounds like lots of good advice already so I’ll try not to repeat too much. The bourbon trail itself covers some of the major/big players as others have mentioned...makers, 4 Roses, beam, Woodford, heaven hill and Buffalo trace. Some of the ‘lesser’ distilleries have been added - I’m not as familiar with them. Personally I’d focus my time around the bigger players - just one mans opinIon.

As someone said makers and Buffalo trace are nice tours as is Woodford - I’d highly recommend them. I found beam less than enjoyable and samples come from dispensers (or they did when I went) - I found that to be a turn off. There’s no production at heaven hill - it’s really just a visitors center, their main production is done an hour away in Louisville and not open for tours. All of the distilleries are in small town USA with lots of nice country riding and plenty of twists, turns and hills.

Someone mentioned bards town and I’ll say you’d really be missing out if you didn’t visit, even better if you stay. There were some cool bars, restaurants and attractions although it is a small town.

If you have extra time it’d be worth heading to Louisville which like I said is an hour or so away. As someone mentioned, old forester has a real showplace in downtown on ‘whiskey row’. They demonstrate everything from barrel making to full distillery and warehousing operations. Note that
this is not where the full production of the brand is - but this is a full, working operation, just on a smaller scale...with a BEAUTIFUL copper column still - its a beautiful sight. A few smaller companies are now located on distillery row including Michters and angels envy - maybe others. If you do head to Louisville and you have the time consider checking out Churchill Downs and the Louisville Slugger Museum. Not sure what COVID has done to them but both had cool tours in the past.

Also, a number of people have mentioned jack daniels. It’s closer to Nashville and about 3 or 4 hours south of Louisville. It’s imo the greatest (distillery) show on earth. And the little town of Lynchburg is AMAZING!!! Lots of great riding but know that it’s a ways off. Btw not many people know this but jack daniels has their own volunteer fire department. Pretty cool huh?! If you d3cide to go I highly recommend checking to see if miss Mary Bobo’s is open and serving meals. Can’t remember the cost but if you like lots of great, down home cooking you won’t be disappointed.

Well there’s plenty to chew on and if ya need any more info or whatever feel free to send me a message and I’ll do my best to help out. Let us know if you go and how it all turns out if we don’t talk before. Have fun and be safe!

Last edited by mnbnd; 01-16-2021 at 10:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
nibroc (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 05:02 PM
mnbnd
Road Captain
Received 341 Likes on 178 Posts

I’m reading that a number of distilleries aren’t doing tours at the moment - of the big name brands Woodford and 4 Roses have gift shops only open. Makers, Buffalo Trace and Barton’s are all doing tours. Almost none of the Louisville-based distilleries are offering tours.

Things can obviously change but it’s worth checking out as the dates get closer.

Old 01-25-2021, 02:35 PM
PapaHawg
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did the Bourbon Trail from Lexington KY to Bardstown. I stopped at several distilleries but once you see the process of making the mash, it is the same at all of them. I liked the 4 Roses, Wild Turkey and the Elijah Craig. The best was the Bourbon Heritage Center in Bardstown because there are 3 or 4 different distilleries within walking distance. I spent 1 day traveling the trail and spent the night in Bardstown.