Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

All the Travels on my Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 06:42 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 507 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
Have you been down in southern Florida and into the keys?
Not on my Harley.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:45 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by TVLR67
Very Cool. Was this all in one year or is it a couple of years? How about miles ridden?
In 3 years I rode my Electra Glide to all the lower 48 states. The next year I checked Alaska off my list. After that I kept traveling to states I've already been to.
I now have 215,000 miles on my Harley.

The following users liked this post:
Grandslam (12-22-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 06:55 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pyuchem
Awesome. I do have questions on swtracker, is it really bad on phone battery ? Does the app have to be always on or can it just run in the background ?
It's not really too bad on the battery. I bring a battery pack when I ride. I make sure to use airplane mode. Especially when in the west away from cell phone coverage the phone will use a lot of battery power looking for a cell signal.

Spotwalla now charges you. It's not much, even for someone like me that rides alot. I just add a few bucks to my account before going on a long ride. Just make sure you have SWTracker off when you don't want to be tracked. They charge you whenever it's on, even if you don't map it out on Spotwalla.

The app runs in the background. Back when it was free I had problems when SWTracker would die. I wouldn't know about it for a long time. Then when I'd start it back up it, the map looked like I was suddenly transported hundreds of miles. I don't have that problem anymore with the paid version. You get what you pay for.

The following 2 users liked this post by Durango Dave:
6113_ (12-17-2023), pyuchem (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:13 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

I forgot to mention: my Harley has never left me stranded away from home in all it's 215,000 miles.

There was one time that I left home and immediately knew something was wrong so I turned around. I was extremely careful with the throttle. I got to my driveway and could not go further. The engine would run but I wasn't going anywhere. My neighbor helped me push it into my garage. I stripped every bump off my drive belt. Luckily I was home.

I was never stranded even from running out of gas. In Alaska I took the Dalton Highway to the Arctic circle. I had to make it to Dead Horse Alaska on the Arctic Ocean and that was further than the range of my Harley. So I carried spare gas on my seat. I road until I ran out and stopped right in the middle of the road because their was absolutely no where to pull over. No one came from either direction as I filled up my tank. I then continued on my way.

The following 4 users liked this post by Durango Dave:
Architect (12-18-2023), FatboysFatboy96 (12-17-2023), pyuchem (12-17-2023), Rocker NH (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 12:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,958 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
I forgot to mention: my Harley has never left me stranded away from home in all it's 215,000 miles.

There was one time that I left home and immediately knew something was wrong so I turned around. I was extremely careful with the throttle. I got to my driveway and could not go further. The engine would run but I wasn't going anywhere. My neighbor helped me push it into my garage. I stripped every bump off my drive belt. Luckily I was home.

I was never stranded even from running out of gas. In Alaska I took the Dalton Highway to the Arctic circle. I had to make it to Dead Horse Alaska on the Arctic Ocean and that was further than the range of my Harley. So I carried spare gas on my seat. I road until I ran out and stopped right in the middle of the road because their was absolutely no where to pull over. No one came from either direction as I filled up my tank. I then continued on my way.

Thanks for posting up. I went and looked at your Alaska Trip. Epic.

Brought back lots of great memories of our ride to the Arctic Circle.

Wishing you many more miles of smiles!

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-17-2023, 12:39 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,198 Likes on 8,962 Posts

Pretty cool you made it to Deadhorse… when I was in Fairbanks I considered it… But… It was going to rain for several days in a row… So I headed east to Ontario instead… the rain was always about a day or so behind me until I got to Sarnia… two days later it cleared up, and I headed south of the border and through the heartland…. On my way to Cody Wyoming.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:28 PM
pyuchem
Road Warrior
Received 854 Likes on 409 Posts

This is on my list, ride from Southernmost point in US to Deadhorse.

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 01:47 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,198 Likes on 8,962 Posts

… in 45,000 miles my 2017 has been on the hook 5 times… rear flat tire, rear wheel bearings blew up, Clutch wouldn’t clutch, & 2 dead batterys ( could have done that myself, but chose not to)… HOG towing plan did the first 3, Harley dealer did one… and a buddy did one… I have limped her in a few times, but small easy fixes…

Old 12-17-2023, 07:08 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

I lied! I just remembered my Harley let me down once. When I got on my bike at a motel in Needles California the engine wouldn't start. Someone gave me a jump and I rode to an Auto Zone. I bought a new battery and was on my way soon.
I forgot it because it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

Who am I kidding? I forgot it because I'm fricken old and can't remember anything.

The following 4 users liked this post by Durango Dave:
CanadianRocky (12-17-2023), kel03 (12-17-2023), Rocker NH (12-17-2023), Vernal (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 07:46 PM
Rocker NH
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 1,892 Posts

I lied! I just remembered my Harley let me down once. When I got on my bike at a motel in Needles California the engine wouldn't start. Someone gave me a jump and I rode to an Auto Zone. I bought a new battery and was on my way soon.
I forgot it because it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

Who am I kidding? I forgot it because I'm fricken old and can't remember anything.
One 4 th of July my battery on my 2011 Road King died while we were in Laconia for a ( 3 day)weekend concert trip and was lucky Autozone was opened , only time this bike let me down. I rolled down the driveway of the hotel parking lot and jumped it then went immediately to autozone about 3 miles away. Didn’t really interrupt our day , just an hr or so of inconvenience

Last edited by Rocker NH; 12-17-2023 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: All the Travels on my Electra Glide