Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

northeast pa/southeast new york

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 08:29 AM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by mskirwin
yes, that’s correct. They don’t have a price on the ticket when you receive it. They schedule a court date and the judge decides what the cost will be depending on the speed. I came off of a 65 mph highway into a 25 mph speed zone with no warning. Right at the first speed posted sign which was less then a block from the highway was a State Trooper.
The ticket can be handled through the mail unless it is so excessive it is deemed reckless driving. 65 in a 25 would fit that criteria,

If you get some paper hung on you, there is a section of the summons that tells you how to plead guilty by mail. An appearance is not necessary. Advising you with the knowledge of being LE in NY for 31 years.

The following 2 users liked this post by ConfuciusSay:
Jshopes (03-02-2024), Paintslinger16 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:53 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Up in that NY/NJ/PA corner, there are almost no bad roads - it's great riding country.

As mentioned, RT-97 through Hawk's Nest is a nice ride; Hawk's Nest is a dramatic but small section of road - worth seeing / riding but it's a quick run. RT-97 stays interesting beyond as it follows the Delaware River and is a very nice ride.

Port Jervis has plenty going on and a good stop for coffee, drinks, a meal and/or to stretch your legs around town.

Deckertown Turnpike (650) through High Point State Park is a fantastic ride, as is the section of RT-23 through High Point State Park.

Coming across from Bethel / Allentown area into NJ you've got great choices in RT-94, RT-517 and RT-19 to get you where you need to go while enjoying the ride.

Tons of other slower roads through the hills - all great riding.

Last edited by Old Sport; 03-02-2024 at 11:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Old Sport:
hairymoth (03-02-2024), Jshopes (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 10:59 AM
Old Sport
Club Member

Received 1,361 Likes on 599 Posts

Originally Posted by hairymoth
This should be a really nice ride!!

Hawk's Nest is likely the scenic bi-way you are looking for. It is Route 97 and it follows the Delaware through an area also known as Delaware Gorge.

Before you get to Hawk's nest, you will go through Port Jervis. There is a section of town that is an old railroad hub. The Erie Hotel would make a good lunch stop.
Nearby is the most charming ice-cream parlor I know of; the back deck is on the bank of the Delaware and makes for a great bowl of ice cream.

Bethel NY is also the site of the original Woodstock concert, as well as having the original site, it is also a well-regarded music venue. It is worth a look. On Saturdays. there are roadside stands that sell tee-shirts, great stop especially if you are a fad of the Grateful Dead!

Coming in from PA, there is a twist little road called Silver Lake Road. It's not much to look at, but very fun. From there, work your way to Rt 521 to head up to Port Jervis (Do NOT take Old Mine Road. As enticing as it sounds, it is poorly maintained and is basically gravel and potholes, sort of like PA roads but even worse! )
All solid recommendations - especially the advice to AVOID Old Mine Road. Been there and done that without knowing what we were heading into.

Cursed the ride through most of the way.

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Sport:
hairymoth (03-02-2024), Jshopes (03-02-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 02:34 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,201 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sport
All solid recommendations - especially the advice to AVOID Old Mine Road. Been there and done that without knowing what we were heading into.

Cursed the ride through most of the way.
glad i got that advice, it comes up a bunch in searches and youtube. i definately would have ended up on it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jshopes:
hairymoth (03-02-2024), Old Sport (03-02-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 09:32 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Hairymoth's suggestions are good ones. If I were trailering on the way up, I think I'd do 80 to 81 to 84, and just get there. Then get on the bikes after you get there. Unfortunately, the best riding in PA is closer to home! The NW quarter of PA is the best. (I really dislike the Poconos anyway. It's all New York Ciry anymore.) I was in outside sales, and I always hated going to see customers on a Friday. Tried to avoid it. The river route heading up toward Binghamton won't be bad at all.

Old 03-10-2024, 11:25 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Hairymoth's suggestions are good ones. If I were trailering on the way up, I think I'd do 80 to 81 to 84, and just get there. Then get on the bikes after you get there. Unfortunately, the best riding in PA is closer to home! The NW quarter of PA is the best. (I really dislike the Poconos anyway. It's all New York Ciry anymore.) I was in outside sales, and I always hated going to see customers on a Friday. Tried to avoid it. The river route heading up toward Binghamton won't be bad at all.
ive done a ton of work up north of wilkes barre along 81, but my line of work doesnt allow for much free time to explore. i really enjoy riding in the laurel highlands area, but i like getting out to see different places too.

Old 03-16-2024, 02:40 PM
KJOGlide
Cruiser
Received 85 Likes on 36 Posts

Couple spots to check out in the area, depending on what you're looking for.

Biker Bars - Overlook (Mt Bethel), Slateford Inn (Mt Bethel)

Family Restaurants - Fuhrers Tavern (Portland, PA), Log Cabin Inn (Columbia, NJ), Hunters Rest (Deleware, NJ), Hot Dog Johnnys (Butzville, NJ), TK's (Mt Bethel), Riverside Bar & Grill (Easton, PA)

611 South from the Mt Bethel/Portland area is a nice ride, North of Mt Bethel 611 is currently closed due to rock slides last year.

Can find some nice roads in NJ just over the border. Rt 46 into Hackettstown, NJ is a nice ride. Plenty of other restaurants and or bars to stop at between the PA/NJ border on the way there. CR519 North of RT 46 in NJ is nice.

Hope you have a great trip!

The following users liked this post:
Jshopes (03-17-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 04:35 AM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by KJOGlide
Couple spots to check out in the area, depending on what you're looking for.

Biker Bars - Overlook (Mt Bethel), Slateford Inn (Mt Bethel)

Family Restaurants - Fuhrers Tavern (Portland, PA), Log Cabin Inn (Columbia, NJ), Hunters Rest (Deleware, NJ), Hot Dog Johnnys (Butzville, NJ), TK's (Mt Bethel), Riverside Bar & Grill (Easton, PA)

611 South from the Mt Bethel/Portland area is a nice ride, North of Mt Bethel 611 is currently closed due to rock slides last year.

Can find some nice roads in NJ just over the border. Rt 46 into Hackettstown, NJ is a nice ride. Plenty of other restaurants and or bars to stop at between the PA/NJ border on the way there. CR519 North of RT 46 in NJ is nice.

Hope you have a great trip!
much appreciated, ill be sure to check those out.

Old 03-24-2024, 04:41 PM
chopr147
Tourer
Received 284 Likes on 170 Posts

Many recommend Hawks Nest and it is a nice ride but the best parts are only about a mile long. IF in the area do not miss Elks Brox Memorial Park. It's right off Rt.97 and 15 minutes from Hawks Nest area. The park has a winding, narrow, steep run up the mountain ending up over-looking Port Jervis. It's so much better than Hawks in my opinion

Old 03-24-2024, 05:02 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by chopr147
Many recommend Hawks Nest and it is a nice ride but the best parts are only about a mile long. IF in the area do not miss Elks Brox Memorial Park. It's right off Rt.97 and 15 minutes from Hawks Nest area. The park has a winding, narrow, steep run up the mountain ending up over-looking Port Jervis. It's so much better than Hawks in my opinion
thanks for the input! we have a few days so well be sure to hit elks brox the day we ride hawks nest.

The following users liked this post:
chopr147 (03-25-2024)

Quick Reply: northeast pa/southeast new york