Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Glacier National Park

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:33 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,638 Posts

Originally Posted by kojak
Weather out west depends on elevation. Anytime you’re riding over 8000 feet elevation, it can change drastically from lower elevation. If you don’t like riding in the 30’s to low forties, probably don’t ride higher elevations before mid June and after August. In September, you can have nice weather one day and raw, wet weather next day with icy patches high up. I wouldn’t let it stop me, just bring gear for different weather conditions.
Yep!
Nearly 20 years ago (in late August) we met (I trailered, my wife flew) some relatives In Albuquerque, NM to do a group ride.
This was a slow, easy 2,000+ mile "loop" ride that I had planned, going in a "counter-clockwise" direction, heading north into CO, then looping to the west, the south through AZ and UT) then east back to Albuquerque.
My plan was to get through the Colorado mountain areas first in order to dodge rain or cooler temps in early September.

Well that plan went to **** when my wife insisted that we "reverse" my plans and go in a "clockwise" direction, heading west through Utah first

Things went well until we got a little behind schedule and having to ride in Colorado one night to get to our motel and had "much too close" encounter with some deer!
On the "last leg" of the trip (in early September) we were in Rocky Mountain National Park and the temps dropped when the rain started that soon turned to sleet! My concern was that it would turn to snow before we could get to lower elevations and thankfully we managed to get to drier roads and warmer temps.
All that I said to my wife was "now do you see why I wanted to go north first"?

Pretty much a great trip...with a few exceptions.
My cousins (from TN) had an extremely wet ride home from Albuquerque (via I-40) but I stayed perfectly dry (in my pickup) on my way back to Michigan.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 04-29-2024 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 02:56 PM
BouseBill
Road Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by diablos
i think they changed the rules this year so you dont need a special reservation to get in the east entrance (believe its still required on the west side), id check before i rode out the west entrance only to find myself not able re-enter and have to ride all the way around the park

From the Park web page:

What You Need

• May 24 through September 8 vehiclereservations are required for the west side of Going-to-the-Sun Road and North Fork from 6 am to 3 pm.
  • July 1 through September 8 vehiclereservations are required for Many Glacier from 6 am to 3 pm.
  • Visitors entering the park in a vehicle or on a motorcycle in one of these areas during these dates need two things: (1) A vehicle reservation OR service reservation and (2) Park Entrance Fee OR valid Park Pass (Annual, Senior, Military, etc.). See details for Entrance Fees and Passes below.
You are correct if you ride OUT the West side, your screwed, turn around before then if you want to ride both directions

Last edited by BouseBill; 04-29-2024 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:29 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 849 Likes on 259 Posts

Someone may have mentioned already but depending on which entrance you take, you may need a vehicle reservation. Last year they were flexible. It was good for three days. This year, it may have changed to be single day. If you're coming from the east and taking the St. Mary entrance, no reservation needed. I wanted to mention because they sell out quick. We logged on last year the second they went on sale and almost didn't get one. The internet traffic was heavy and the site was crashing. They sold like 1,000 passes in 17 minutes.

Whenever/however you go........brace yourself. Glacier is one of the most beautiful places I've put my eyes on. If not maybe THE most beautiful.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:32 PM
diablos
Road Captain
Received 621 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by scott7d
Someone may have mentioned already but depending on which entrance you take, you may need a vehicle reservation. Last year they were flexible. It was good for three days. This year, it may have changed to be single day. If you're coming from the east and taking the St. Mary entrance, no reservation needed. I wanted to mention because they sell out quick. We logged on last year the second they went on sale and almost didn't get one. The internet traffic was heavy and the site was crashing. They sold like 1,000 passes in 17 minutes.

Whenever/however you go........brace yourself. Glacier is one of the most beautiful places I've put my eyes on. If not maybe THE most beautiful.
insanity, and when we went in 2019 (before this governement "fix") didnt really see the need for special passes. the place is huge, if one place is full, move on to the next one.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:10 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,357 Likes on 1,920 Posts

We were there July 27th, 2021 and it was very crowded, even though you needed the "Reservation" to get in. It is a beautiful Park and if you're willing to do a few short hikes you can see even more amazing views. Avalanche Lake and Ptarmigan falls are a couple we've done more than once.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:12 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,318 Likes on 8,997 Posts

i think they changed the rules this year so you dont need a special reservation to get in the east entrance (believe its still required on the west side), id check before i rode out the west entrance only to find myself not able re-enter and have to ride all the way around the park
That’s why I think the best thing to do is turn around before you get to the exit gate on the west side

The following users liked this post:
diablos (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:23 PM
scott7d
Road Captain
Received 849 Likes on 259 Posts

insanity, and when we went in 2019 (before this governement "fix") didnt really see the need for special passes. the place is huge, if one place is full, move on to the next one.
The need for reservations is especially annoying on a motorcycle when you want to try and be somewhat spontaneous and/or you run into adversity that causes delays. There have been a few national parks we've visited that required reservations. Ultimately, we had to buy a couple different reservations because we didn't know for sure when we'd get there. It sucks being bound to a schedule based on a reservation.

The following 2 users liked this post by scott7d:
diablos (04-29-2024), MedicineBow (05-05-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:27 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,715 Likes on 8,669 Posts

How many days and what type of lodging or camping?

It’s been decades since we were there. Camped on Lake MacDonald. It has a Marina and Stables. We rented a boat and fished.
My wife and Daughter hired a guide on horseback who took them far back into bear country.

Enter from Saint Marys. Ride the Sun Highway to the west side. Try getting a room at Lake MacDonald Lodge..But do not exit the park once you are in. Until you leave.

Old 04-29-2024, 04:30 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Like this? Wife and I riding 2 up on Pikes Peak caught in a snow/sleet storm. Around 10,000 ft elevation, the road was getting covered. Turned around very carefully and made it back down.
Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
Yep!
Nearly 20 years ago (in late August) we met (I trailered, my wife flew) some relatives In Albuquerque, NM to do a group ride.
This was a slow, easy 2,000+ mile "loop" ride that I had planned, going in a "counter-clockwise" direction, heading north into CO, then looping to the west, the south through AZ and UT) then east back to Albuquerque.
My plan was to get through the Colorado mountain areas first in order to dodge rain or cooler temps in early September.

Well that plan went to **** when my wife insisted that we "reverse" my plans and go in a "clockwise" direction, heading west through Utah first

Things went well until we got a little behind schedule and having to ride in Colorado one night to get to our motel and had "much too close" encounter with some deer!
On the "last leg" of the trip (in early September) we were in Rocky Mountain National Park and the temps dropped when the rain started that soon turned to sleet! My concern was that it would turn to snow before we could get to lower elevations and thankfully we managed to get to drier roads and warmer temps.
All that I said to my wife was "now do you see why I wanted to go north first"?

Pretty much a great trip...with a few exceptions.
My cousins (from TN) had an extremely wet ride home from Albuquerque (via I-40) but I stayed perfectly dry (in my pickup) on my way back to Michigan.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0680.MOV (4.92 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by kojak; 04-29-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:57 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Riding Pikes Peak July 4th weekend 2019, a beautiful day that year, lol.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_1586.mov (17.54 MB, 2 views)

Quick Reply: Glacier National Park