Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Chicao to NYC, via LA and San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 07:04 PM
kombiguy
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Chicao to NYC, via LA and San Francisco

Plan is to leave Chicago, do Rte. 66 to LA. Then A1A to San Francisco, then the Lincoln Hwy to Times Square. I figure that would make a nice summer trip. Anybody do that?

The following 2 users liked this post by kombiguy:
Greg Midi (05-02-2024), luckiestiff (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 07:50 PM
luckiestiff
Road Master
Received 649 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by kombiguy
Plan is to leave Chicago, do Rte. 66 to LA. Then A1A to San Francisco, then the Lincoln Hwy to Times Square. I figure that would make a nice summer trip. Anybody do that?
I'm not sure what A1A is but if it's Hwy 1 along the coast, it is currently closed north of Ragged Point with no opening date on the horizon. The trip sounds pretty bitchin'!

The following users liked this post:
kombiguy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 09:18 PM
kombiguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
I'm not sure what A1A is but if it's Hwy 1 along the coast, it is currently closed north of Ragged Point with no opening date on the horizon. The trip sounds pretty bitchin'!
yea, hwy 1. I guess I was stuck on Florida geography.

Cosmic Razorback (05-07-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:09 PM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior
Received 1,976 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by kombiguy
That seems very ambitious! I've ridden around LA, to NYC and all over Chicago but haven't made it to San Francisco and none of it was on the same trip. The time I rode to NYC I had to travel through southern Chicago. Normally I've taken I-80 through there which is bad enough but someone suggested taking US-30 due to lots of construction on the interstate. That turned out to be a bigger mistake being July where it was in the 90's with 100 miles of block to block traffic lights.

kombiguy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:00 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,639 Posts

It's been 20 or so years since I was in S.F. and about 15 or so years since I was in NYC.

From what I see and hear about both I have no interest whatsoever in returning to either.

The last time that I was in NYC it was with a huge group of bikes for the 9-11 Memorial Run (on the 9/11 weekend) and that trek ended at the H-D dealership in Brooklyn.
Although I had been to Times Square previously, let myself be talked into going to "Ground Zero" with a smaller group of 20 or so bikes and as I expected it was a "cluster****" as it was jam-packed and I was surprised that none of us got injured (accidents) or got as much as a parking ticket(s).
I wrote it off to NYC's "finest" knowing (and appreciating) the purpose of our trip and were extremely friendly, helpful and courteous.

IF, I was to return to NYC (especially on a bike or a trike) I would seriously look into lodging in N.J. and taking some form of public transportation to and from Manhattan.
I'm sure some folks may see this and chime in with much better advice.

kombiguy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 08:20 AM
kombiguy
Intermediate

New York doesn't bother me much, being a NYC native. Times Square, the start of Lincoln Highway (or the end, in my case,) is only 8 blocks from the Lincoln Tunnel, so not a lot of riding in the city.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:21 AM
kombiguy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg Midi
That seems very ambitious! I've ridden around LA, to NYC and all over Chicago but haven't made it to San Francisco and none of it was on the same trip. The time I rode to NYC I had to travel through southern Chicago. Normally I've taken I-80 through there which is bad enough but someone suggested taking US-30 due to lots of construction on the interstate. That turned out to be a bigger mistake being July where it was in the 90's with 100 miles of block to block traffic lights.
Route 30 through that area is torture! And you're right about I-80.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:19 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,639 Posts

When we were there we were fortunate as we had a fireman from N.J acting as our tour guide and advisor.

Sounds like you're familiar with the Big Apple and how to navigate....cool!

kombiguy (05-03-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 03:45 AM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,732 Likes on 8,673 Posts

Originally Posted by luckiestiff
Governor Newsom announced Hwy1 will be reopened Memorial Weekend

Old 05-04-2024, 06:51 AM
Short Shift
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a great trip! How many miles do you think it will be?

Quick Reply: Chicao to NYC, via LA and San Francisco