Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Smoky Mtn Campground ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lenoir City exit is exit 81 (I believe) off I-75. Nice way to get to Townsend. Beautiful scenery on the way there. I would say somewhere in Townsend also. Very close to Foothills parkway, and the Tail. Really great riding over there. I just moved to Florida from that area, and can't wait to move back when we are done down here. Good luck, and have fun on your vacation.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Sport King
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Located between Robinsville and the Dragon ,you cant go wrong with this .
Sites for camping located along a running creek
And a restraunt on site or up the corner of the road
http://www.ironhorsenc.com/

Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 PM
pirate49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the ironhorse stayed there when they first opened few years back it was nice then and looks like they have made alot of improvements since very nice people let me store our bikes in their barn during some bad weather and good food

Old 06-21-2009, 10:13 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hog Hvn
Follow 411 to Seiverville Pigeon Forge. 321(Wears Valley road) would be hell with a fifth wheel.
I would have agreed with you up until this past Easter break...I was following behind about a 33ft. fifth wheel being pulled by a 3/4 ton SRW pick-up on Wears Valley Rd. going towards Pigeon Forge. This guy handled it like a drive in the park. Nailed all the turns hardly straying from his lane, and kept up good speed the entire way. I was amazed.

Several nice campgrounds in Townsend. Easy to get to, quiet, and the best spot in the area for a base camp.

Last edited by CaptJIM; 06-22-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Thanks to all for your input !!!

Ray

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by 96custom
Lenoir City exit is exit 81 (I believe) off I-75. Nice way to get to Townsend. Beautiful scenery on the way there. I would say somewhere in Townsend also. Very close to Foothills parkway, and the Tail. Really great riding over there. I just moved to Florida from that area, and can't wait to move back when we are done down here. Good luck, and have fun on your vacation.

If I got on 64 onto 411 out of Cleveland TN to Maryville, would that be 5th wheel friendly for towing ?? What kind of time would it take to make this run ?

Thanks,
Ray

Old 06-22-2009, 10:16 AM
whitrt
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KOA in Tellico Plaines, TN

There is a KOA, in Tellico Plaines, TN. This is on the south west side and 2 miles from the Skyway. The other end of the skyway is just a couple miles from the Dragon. I have camped in Tellico and it is nice and quiet but really close to good riding. Have a safe trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kickstand Lodge. Stecoah, on the southside of the Park. Flat, easy in and out. Do you know Mo? Mo knows.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:08 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by twoseas
If I got on 64 onto 411 out of Cleveland TN to Maryville, would that be 5th wheel friendly for towing ?? What kind of time would it take to make this run ?

Thanks,
Ray
I used to work in Cleveland, Tn. and after work I would take the bike up to the Cherohala Skyway for an evening ride, it was fun. I sure do miss it now.

On to your question. Going up 411 out of cleveland is very easy and 5th wheel friendly. When you get off 64, it's 2 lanes until a town called Benton, Tn. and it goes to 4 lanes through the town. WATCH YOUR SPEED in Benton, the local cops there are always waiting to pounce on a speeder. Don't go anything over 5 mph over the speed limit. Once you get out of Benton, it turns back into 2 lanes for a few miles, then opens up to 4 freshly paved lanes all the way to Maryville.

This way will take you longer, it's scenic that way, very straight roads, kinda boring, but you are hauling a 5th wheel. It will be longer, but it's a very pretty ride. It would probably only take you an extra 1/2 hour give or take a little. Have fun on your trip.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:36 PM
twoseas
Road Master

Originally Posted by 96custom
I used to work in Cleveland, Tn. and after work I would take the bike up to the Cherohala Skyway for an evening ride, it was fun. I sure do miss it now.

On to your question. Going up 411 out of cleveland is very easy and 5th wheel friendly. When you get off 64, it's 2 lanes until a town called Benton, Tn. and it goes to 4 lanes through the town. WATCH YOUR SPEED in Benton, the local cops there are always waiting to pounce on a speeder. Don't go anything over 5 mph over the speed limit. Once you get out of Benton, it turns back into 2 lanes for a few miles, then opens up to 4 freshly paved lanes all the way to Maryville.

This way will take you longer, it's scenic that way, very straight roads, kinda boring, but you are hauling a 5th wheel. It will be longer, but it's a very pretty ride. It would probably only take you an extra 1/2 hour give or take a little. Have fun on your trip.
Thanks for the traveling tips. The wife and I are really stoked about our trip. As I mentioned earlier, I've been to the Dragon before, now she gets to go !

We're suppose to be in Memphis for the St. Judes Hospital National Rally and then we head up to the smokies after that.

Ray

Quick Reply: Smoky Mtn Campground ?