Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Help with Yellowstone trip plan, please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, as I live here and stuff, I have a different perspective. The national parks in MT are wonderful, but you'll see stuff just like it all over the state, but without the people and traffic (of course, maybe the traffic is why the easterners like the NPs so much--it reminds them of home j/k)

Glacier is beautiful, but is best seen on foot. There are only two roads through that whole place. If you can swing it, park the bike at a hotel (for a small fee) and get a shuttle into the park and go backpacking for 2-3 nights. All the coffee-table-book pics of Glacier are taken in the backcountry. Driving through it is nice, too, but you really won't see what the park has to offer. Riding up to Glacier is a long haul, even if you hit a magical time with no construction.

Yellowstone is also incredible in the backcountry, but you can see a lot of what the park has to offer from the road. I'm sorry that H2ODOG didn't like the southern part of the Park--that's the more popular part, with Old Faithful, West Thumb, Yellowstone Lake, Mid Geyser Basin, Lewis Canyon, Hayden Valley, etc etc etc. Yes, there are parts that have burned. But, as we all know, the NPs are there to show us what nature would do if humans don't mess with it.

But I guess you have to decide what you want to do. If your vacation is about just riding your bike in the West, then there is plenty of that to do around here. But if you use the bike to ride to a place and do something you don't get to do at home, there there is plenty of that around here, too. I've lived in Montana 10 years and am finding new, incredible places all the time.

I'd suggest picking one of the NPs or adding more time.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

After 35 years with a clean record (not getting caught,lol) got a speeding ticket - watch out, these guys Love to write tickets and they will ticket EVERYONE... So, be carefull and watch out for other drivers... These idiots will stop in the middle of the road and bail out to take a picture of any animal in the area.... PLUS - be very careful around Bison/Buffalo - they will charge you if they happen to be in a pissy mood... Ask me how I know... lol

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...g-buffalo.html

Plan to spend time at 'ole fateful' area - actually this was our favorite spot - several hours...

Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My take on Yellowstone and Glacier is 2 trips. I've been to both a number of times and truly believe that you just can't rush through either one. Besides, if you go to Glacier, then you almost have to go see Banff, as it's not that far away!
I'm headed to Yellowstone/Tetons again in September, but are taking the truck. Nobody has mentioned the Grand Tetons. You'd be hard pressed to find a more dramatic, beautiful range of mountains. Lots of elk, bison, and moose (Oxbow Bend, Willow Flats) there. I've seen bears in the Tetons, too. Yellowstone has an incredible amount of things to see. Old Faithful is nice as it's regular, but there are other geysers that are simply awesome if you catch them going off. Morning Glory pool is one of my favorite hot springs. Norris Geyser Basin is fantastic. Hayden and Lamar Valleys offer lots of chances for wildlife viewing. Wolves are often seen in Lamar. I've seen bears (grizzly) the last several trips along Mt. Washburn. The upper and lower falls of the Yellowstone are incredible, too, and shouldn't be missed. West Yellowstone has lots of rooms. Jackson Hole is a long way down there. If I had the cash, I'd stay at Old Faithful Lodge. It is cool and it would be easy to do the loop and end up back there. Ah, said too much and probably not enough. Yes, I lke it there!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Hey, Scoteh,

I mentioned GTNP in my earlier post in this thread. GTNP is a beautiful ride, and even better if you get out and walk. Personally, I head down that way at least twice a year to fish the Snake.

(For those interested, Jackson is a fun town, but $$$$$$$, and NO you won't see Harrison Ford. But if you go over Teton Pass to Driggs, ID, you can see what Jackson was like 25 yrs ago. Laid back, very cool place.)

For anyone coming from the east, I always suggest heading to Shoshoni/Riverton and taking US 26/287 up through the Wind River Range all the way to Moran Jct in GTNP, and heading up to YNP from there. 287 through the Wind River Range is a helluva scenic ride that tops out over 9000' and very few of the Sturgis set make it over there.

The Wind River Range is a great example of how jaw-dropping beautiful the West really is, but because it's on a reservation (or just simply not in a National Park), very few people know about it and fewer still visit.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

To the OP...there's a ton of great advice here...this is no knock on anyone else, but I'd rely heavily on Faber and the advice of other forum members living/riding in the area.

I can see happening to you what happened to me (I planned our trip). You start planning the trip and realize all the things that you "must see and do"...you start trying to fit a bunch of stuff in...i.e. Glacier N.P. The rationale is always "we're so close and this may be our only chance to go there." Understandable, but realize adding locations cuts down on your time in other ones.

As far as my recent trip, we didn't have time to do the area justice. Mainly, because we were riding TO Sturgis THROUGH some beautiful areas. As I started researching and getting forum advice...I started adding mileage and days to our trip. This was a challenge since I was traveling with people who had time constraints. Yes, it was awesome and we had some time to take a few pics, stop at Old Faithful, yada yada. But, we didn't have time to do Yellowstone justice. Very different than going somewhere as a destination...staying a few days and exploring from there. Personally, I'd like to spend a week or so in the area and REALLY check it out. If you add Glacier, just realize you're going to limit yourself.

You have a challenge ahead of you...even more-so when you have other people in your group to consider/please. I'd recommend having a discussion with the travelers and making sure you're all on the same page...figure out if you all want to cram it all in and see as much as you can or do you want to stay in a couple of centrally located places and really get to "explore" an area?

Just my .02!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
INFIDEL0341
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! I think the road trip section is the best part of HDF! The info provided by everyone concerning YNP was very help to me-I'm in the midst of planning a family trip to MT/WY June '10.
Faber, I am sending you a PM regarding Bozeman.
May everyone have excellent roadtrips!

Old 10-14-2009, 03:53 PM
utahdyna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Casper dealership are very rude. I have not been to the Cody dealership but I have heard good things regarding them. My advised would be a fly n ride out of cody.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:30 PM
deluxeroad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wife and I rode our bikes (3000+ miles) through Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons this past July from our home in Oregon. We had three weeks so spent time with family in Kalispell, and took side trip to Glacier over the Logan Pass on the Going to the Sun Highway and around Flathead Lake. Glacier is a great National Park and one you will not want to miss!

As others have pointed out, it may be too much of a rush to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons on the same ride, unless you take that extra time. I would plan separate trips if necessary, so you can take your time and enjoy the scenery along with great western hospitality.

As far as the Tetons and Jackson area are concerned, we spent the night about 35 miles south of Jackson at Alpine Junction, WY at the Flying Saddle Resort. A very nice stay and slightly over $100 per night (included full breakfast!) compared to a starting price of over $200 per night anywhere near Jackson. Great roads and great scenery, to be sure!

Be sure to check the road construction schedules and as noted by others, be prepared for vast temperature differences. We ran into freshly oiled/graveled pavement leaving Yellowstone towards the Grand Tetons followed by thundershowers which included hail. Between cloudburts the temperature would jump from 50 back to 80 or more in a matter of just several miles.

Whatever you decide, this is marvelous country and you will really enjoy your time "out west".

Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM
dv102
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't try to do Glacier and Yellowstone on the same trip because as Faber said Montana is a big state. Hell I think you could ride there all summer for 5 years and still not see it all. I tried to plan a trip twice to include both parks but there is too much in between them that you will miss, so I concentrate on one park at a time and the sights on the way to it.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by utahdyna
Casper dealership are very rude. I have not been to the Cody dealership but I have heard good things regarding them. My advised would be a fly n ride out of cody.
It's not a real dealer in Cody, just a t-shirt shop for Beartooth HD in Billings. Same with their shop in Red Lodge.

But if you go there to buy a t-shirt, I'm sure they're real nice

Originally Posted by deluxeroad
As others have pointed out, it may be too much of a rush to visit Glacier, Yellowstone and the Tetons on the same ride, unless you take that extra time. I would plan separate trips if necessary, so you can take your time and enjoy the scenery along with great western hospitality.
The west is best when you stop top look at it

I'm glad you found some great hospitality out here!

As far as the Tetons and Jackson area are concerned, we spent the night about 35 miles south of Jackson at Alpine Junction, WY at the Flying Saddle Resort. A very nice stay and slightly over $100 per night (included full breakfast!) compared to a starting price of over $200 per night anywhere near Jackson. Great roads and great scenery, to be sure!
Great advice! Lots of folks want to stay in Jackson. For that kind of money, might as well stay at Jenny Lake Lodge or Jackson Lake Lodge. Or some of the places right around Moran Jct.

For other cheaper alternatives, Driggs, ID is nice, just over Teton Pass--still see the Tetons from there. Alpine, as mentioned above.

I always ask folks why they want to go to Jackson. You won't see Harrison Ford, but you'll pay what he does in town.

Originally Posted by dv102
I wouldn't try to do Glacier and Yellowstone on the same trip because as Faber said Montana is a big state. Hell I think you could ride there all summer for 5 years and still not see it all. I tried to plan a trip twice to include both parks but there is too much in between them that you will miss, so I concentrate on one park at a time and the sights on the way to it.
Heck, I've lived in Montana for 10 years and haven't seen a tenth of it! And I ride all dang summer trying!

If you're not from the west, it will be hard for you to understand the scale of Montana. It is B-I-G-!

How about this:

--you could ride from Washington, DC to Chicago, and then try that distance in Montana--you'll stay on the road, but won't leave the state or change direction.

--Montana, the 4th largest state, has less than 1,000,000 people. That means lots of space and no traffic. Just a lot of mountains and high plains country. But isn't that what you come to see? Of the three larger states, CA (#3) and TX (#2) have their remote parts but also millions of people looking for them. AK (#1) is enormous but doesn't have much in the way of paved roads. Montana has 69,567 miles of federal and state roads.

Our riding season may be shorter than other places', but I'll take it. The only place that rivals MT for riding, IMO, is Wyoming.....or British Columbia and Alberta.

OK: the Yellowstone Help Desk is open again Any questions? Ask away!

Quick Reply: Help with Yellowstone trip plan, please