Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

A video from the Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:12 AM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One small point to make. Make sure your air pressure is at max on the big tourers when you hit roads like this. I enjoyed the ride with you. Great exhaust sound

Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 AM
OttoWalker21
6th Gear
Default decreasing radius thought

[quote=jeff.georgalas;5589469] As to the staying off the Tail until my "skills have improved", just where are they supposed to get improved if not in an environment like this? quote]

There have been ten deaths in the Deal's Gap area in 2009.
The majority killed from a Harley blowing a turn. Regardless of your choice to cheat, people see your video and think the road is 'not that bad.'

It's technical, and most Harley's do NOT have the brakes to sustain the 11 miles of heavy braking. NOr the endurance you need coming to the end of the road, near the Store.

With respect to the road, the local yocals, and the other out of town riders; numerous passes are still not able to prepare the out of town tourist for the challenge of the road, the endurance, and the 'other' guy blowing a turn to 'cheat.'

I think the comment was made to make others aware of just how dangerous the road is. The crotchrockets, although a pain in the ***, haven't been the majority of the ones killed on the roads up there. The recent marketing has made it a 'destination' for the entuhusiast, as it should.But the lack of respect for others is simply noted by the gear you choose to ride in. Blatent disrespect for the danger.

That's what I saw in your video.

The gear you chose to ride in proves you shouldn't be on that road.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:18 AM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the five or six guys who've posted above, thanks for the advice, but I'll tell you, just riding those 11 miles made me a MUCH better rider. After we left there, we rode back North through the National park on our way to Gatlinburg, and this time my Dad rode behind me and commented on how much of a difference he saw in my riding there versus an hour earlier. And I could feel the difference as well. I felt much more confident, and was able to push it harder in the corners. It's amazing how much just a little practice does for you. When I got there I was unprepared for how much skill the twisties take if you want to do them with ANY speed at all. By the time I left there and headed for home I think I had advanced more than I ever would have guessed.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:22 PM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngshop
Do yourself, wife and others a great service, consider staying off the "Dragon" and others like it until your riding skills improve.
For all you armchair quarterbacks that never get off the couch. Get a Life!

Jeff great video and we who ride know we ride differently with someone in the back seat and if she is taking video that changes our riding approach even more.

Thanks for letting me see the Dragon. It looks like a road we have in Western Wyoming/Utah called Monte Cristo. I don't think the twisties in Monte are as long but is still a good ride.

Last edited by Whackone; 09-19-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:46 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

"Whackone" I see that ignorance abounds in other places besides the south.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:25 PM
OttoWalker21
6th Gear

Originally Posted by PPBART
....I was intentionally left of center a few times when I could clearly see ahead. Take heed to the cautionary notes, but also consider the source of those who tell you to stay off the Dragon -- they probably have not/will not ever ride it! Those who do need to ride within their skills and stay alert.
I live here.

obviously you haven't seen any of our locals rip thru that road like it was nothing. You know how many seconds it takes to travel at speeds of 120mph, then down to 75 mph on some of those turns?

We fly 'em out of here all the time with a 'casual' mentality, courtesy of Lifeflight.

All we're asking...respect it.

Also one last note:

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW LONG IT TAKES FOR AN AMBULANCE TO GET ON TO RTE 129?

If nothing else, please think about i before you come.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:19 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wish I had video of me on tha Dragon, that would have been great....Not the first or second time I rode it....The batteries might have died be for I made it through....LOL I got there early in the morning there was no traffic...Thats a great time to start running the Dragon...

Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
dragpipe
Tourer

great vid John. being a canuck, i always wondered what the big deal was. now i know, thanks!
p.s. i hope Jeff is the dude in front of you.
kidin man.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:09 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Good video, thanks.

Quick Reply: A video from the Tail of the Dragon