Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

My great ride on Blue Ridge Pkwy & Skyline Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Yes thanks for sharing... I can't wait to get back down there next year with more time to enjoy it......

Old 10-11-2009, 05:01 PM
BamaFan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Great trip Pastor John! Beautiful pics and commentary!

Old 10-12-2009, 08:38 AM
marshrat
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the report!
Wife and I had lunch 10/3 at the Pisgah Inn. It was as clear as it gets there that day and was spectacular!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Gliding Wide
Cruiser

Thanks for the nice ride report. Well done. The Opus X caught my eye, Robusto? Very nice way to end a day in the saddle.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:04 PM
LarryV
Novice

Glad to see another Blue Ridge Parkway lover. And from Atlanta too. I rode the exact same route to Fancy Gap, VA. Left early Sept 28th. Made it to Little Switzerland, NC. Stayed overnight at the Switzerland Inn's Diamond Back Lodge @$65 night. Actually stayed there on the way up and on the way back. Came back via the BRP on Oct 1. Wanted to go in mid-October but had to change my schedule. The weather was perfect. Clear and just a tad cool on the way up around the Asheville area. I could ride the BRP every weekend and never get tired of it. Round trip from Suwanee, Ga and back was 858 miles.

Attached Thumbnails My great ride on Blue Ridge Pkwy & Skyline Drive-img_0018.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 604 Likes on 326 Posts

Thanks so much for sharing. I rode with my riding friends from the DoofClenas from Tn to Columbia, MD. On our way up we left I-80 on 43 to get to the BRP and rode for about 2 hours. We had damp weather, drizzling rain, but the few views we had made me promise myself to come back one day.

Well, after seeing your pics and reading your report, "one day" is gonna be much sooner now. Also knowing about the Best Western deal is a very valuable tip for rider.

Once again, thanks for sharing.

Isabel - Mrs. Capt. Itch

Old 10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Nabubba
Road Master

Man you were riding in my backyard...lol

We ride the parkway a lot since I am just at the foot of the mountain.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Great trip report. I've been working for two weeks planning a ride next summer down the BRP to the end in the Smokey Mountains. Got it figured out now to spend 4 days on the road and travel about 1500 miles over some of the same roads you mention.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a great trip, Carroll! With you being in Baltimore, it would be easy to pick up the Skyline Drive at Front Royal, VA and ride it to the beginning of the Blue Ridge Parkway, then down to Cherokee. Lots of great riding in the Smokies as well!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
CarrollB
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Pastor John, because we only have 4 days we will bypass the Skyline and hop on the BRP at Waynesboro. I had hoped to ride the Skyline starting in Front Royal but don't think I have the extra day. If we can squeeze an extra day then I'll spend it in the Smokies. I've ridden the Skyline several times in the early 80's on a bike with my late wife and a couple of times in my vette. Never been on the BRP though, and I'm looking forward to it. Your pictures make me want to leave tomorrow instead of next August.

Quick Reply: My great ride on Blue Ridge Pkwy & Skyline Drive