Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Moonshine Lunch Run, April 10th

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moonshine Lunch Run, April 10th

Let me tell you about a ride to Moonshine, Illinois. Every spring several hundred bikes from all over the country ride to a old country store in Moonshine, Illinois (population 2) for a hamburger (they call them Moonburgers). Last year we went on the Moonshine Lunch Run and enjoyed a great day of riding and a great hamburger. If the weather is good enough I plan to go again this year. Check the following web site out to see what the place is like on a normal weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGkBilF6GU8&eurl=http://www.st-o...

Be sure to check the history link at this web site and find out more about the event:
http://www.moonshine-run.com/Moonshine/

This year the run out to Moonshine is April 10th. As the web site says, they close the grill at 12:30pm local time (which is central time), so if you want a moonburger, you have to be there by then. By the way last year they sold over 1,100 moonburgers in only a few hours that day. For me it is about 120 miles from Indianapolis to Moonshine each way. Last year we took 40 west to Casey, Illinois (headquarters for the event). On the way back we rode some roads that were south of I-70 and took us through Linton, Worthington, and Spencer. (Oh yeah, there is a great place to eat in Spencer, especially if you like fried chicken, called The Hilltop, coming back ought to put you there around supper time).

Like I said before, I plan to go but if the weather is bad I will probably cancel. Hope for good weather and maybe I'll see you there or on the way!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:33 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I took my wife there for a burger last year because we had heard so much about it. It was a good ride, great atmoshpere, very friendly, down to earth place. More people and bikes there on a regular weekday than I could imagine.

We had a great time, but I have to vote the burgers to not even be in the top 100 best burgers in the state of Illinois, much less the world.

Go for the good time and atmoshpere, not the fried, greasy burgers.

Dennis

Old 03-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rochkes
I took my wife there for a burger last year because we had heard so much about it. It was a good ride, great atmoshpere, very friendly, down to earth place. More people and bikes there on a regular weekday than I could imagine.

We had a great time, but I have to vote the burgers to not even be in the top 100 best burgers in the state of Illinois, much less the world.

Go for the good time and atmoshpere, not the fried, greasy burgers.

Dennis
Well, I thought they were pretty good, but I like just about any burger. Not in the 100 best in the state? Have you eaten burgers at that many places in Illinois?

Like you said, go for the ride and the fun.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:03 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I might've stretched it just a bit, but yeah I'd say I have had a burger at over 100 places in Illinois. It could be that I just caught them on a bad day, but I am spoiled to premium beef.

I didn't mean to say they are terrible, just not anything near great or best in the world. Still worth the trip and I'll probably be going back again.

Dennis

Old 03-20-2010, 11:35 AM
ss377
Road Captain

Did not make the trip there last year (wife's health) and will not make the ride this year (8 day ocean cruise). Did make the run in 08, low 30 degrees and sleet, 450 miles round trip. They kept the grill open longer for this run. Burgers were ok, crowd and locals were great. Going to miss 2 weekend runs on account of this stupid all-you-can-eat-wait-on-me-hand-and-foot-party-til-I-can't cruise, but it's gotta be done.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

I also along with about 18 other people rode over last year. Great excuse for a bike ride. Burgers aren't bad.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I was in the area visiting some friends last weekend, so we went over there for a visit and burger. I was surprised to see so many people there on a normal weekend day.

This was filling! LOL

Attached Thumbnails Moonshine Lunch Run, April 10th-moomburger.jpg  

Last edited by Ozoneman; 03-22-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:52 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

It might be a little cool in the morning, but the afternoon looks great. Saturday forecast for Moonshine as of Tuesday night:
Low 43 degrees
High 70 degrees
Mostly sunny.

If you need someplace to ride, meet a few hundred other bikers at the Moonshine Store for a burger!

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll be there Thursday evening. Leaving Thursday morning. It's about 725 miles for me.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I'll be there Thursday evening. Leaving Thursday morning. It's about 725 miles for me.
So you're doing the whole gig? (Thursday cookout, Friday dinner, Moonshine Run, Saturday awards banquet, and Sunday breakfast?) I've thought about doing the whole thing, but never got around to it.

Where are you riding from? I assume you will make it out to Moonshine for a burger on Saturday?

Quick Reply: Moonshine Lunch Run, April 10th