Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Update on the Dragon Rockslide

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on the Dragon Rockslide

As you know there has been a rockslide on US-129 (aka Deal's Gap, Tail of the Dragon) down beside the lake on the Tennessee side approximately 1.5 miles south of Foothills Parkway.
The TN governor has decided not to accept North Carolina's help with law enforcement and emergency services and instead has decided to close the road entirely from the rockslide south to the state line, which is 1 mile from the Deals Gap Store and Campground on the northern end. In other words, the road is closed entirely. Current estimates are that it will continue to be closed until July or August.
You can contact the TN governor using this email address: Phil.Bredesen@tn.gov or by visiting his website at http://www.tennesseeanytime.org/governor/Contact.do There are phone numbers and physical addresses for snail mail.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Noooooo I am going there in July.

Where did you get this information? Got a link?

This info was on the resort site

Wednesday March 17
Good evening Gang

Beth was at work today....3 hr one way trip and all.....looks like no one is detered from the slide as you can still ride the Dragon. So we will be operating as best we can. Several employees from the TN side will not be with us until the slide is clear.
Weather this weekend will be 65 or better with sun so come on out and ride in the first real spring weather of the year.
No updates from the slide today. They have completed the survey of the 60 ton rock and have begun the bidding phase so they are moving fast. TVA is also bringing pressure as many of the employees for the 3 TVA dams in NC live on the wrong side of the slide. Currently they are being boated around the slide then bussed to the dams.

Want to take a moment to praise TDOT at every level, they have been great passing info and are working hard at resolving the issue. I expect t hey will be done in less than a month. GO TDOT.

The one up side from the slide is the time I have been able to spend with my brother and his family. We took a tour of the Lost Sea caverns today and had a blast. It is a perfect tour, only takes one hour. It is not a huge cave system but the boat ride on the underground lake is super cool. You can do it in motorcycle boots and I highly recommend doing it. It is located in Sweetwater, take a look at it when you come off the Skyway.

Hope everyone has a great day, tomorrows update will be a ride report as me and David will be hitting the road in the sun.

Brad

Last edited by todd-67; 03-19-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

What to believe??? They say it will be open March 26th

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tail-o...1058066?ref=mf

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain

I hope that the TN TDOT estimate is accurate, but won't hold my breath. There are rockslides on SR 64 at the Ocoee and also I40 to Asheville, both on the TN side that have closed the roads forever and no light at the end of the tunnel on either. In fact those two are updated daily by the Governor's office on the TN TDOT homepage because of the all the bad press. I'm guessing since the state doesn't like the Dragon activities anyway, then it will get the lowest priority.

Here is the link on where I got the info: http://www.gapmiatas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1048

Here is the TN TDOT statement:
State Route 115Incident, Blount CountyDate Last Revised:3/19/2010 8:31:17 AMDescription:State Route 115 northbound in Blount County - Incident at NORTH CAROLINA-TENNESSEE STATE LINE / BEGIN HWY-129 / {US-129} reported at 4:30 PM 03/15/2010 and estimated to be cleared by 2:00 PM 03/26/2010 (Eastern Time Zone). Northbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Southbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Both directions of traffic are being diverted to alternate routes.Incident Start:3/15/2010 4:30:00 PMEstimated Clearance:3/26/2010 2:00:00 PMState Route 115Incident, Blount CountyDate Last Revised:3/19/2010 9:20:49 AMDescription:State Route 115 southbound in Blount County - Incident at FOOTHILLS PKWY. RT. reported at 3/14/2010 4:00:00 PM and estimated to be cleared by 3/26/2010 5:00:00 PM (Central Time Zone). Southbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Northbound traffic is affected with all lanes blocked. Both directions of traffic are being diverted to alternate routes.Due to a rockslide approximately two miles south of Chilhowee Dam

Old 03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

They may not like it, but The Dragon is a huge revenue source, I doubt they will allow it to be closed any longer than absolutely necessary. The business owners on the Dragon might have something to say about that, and when states need all the tax revenue they can steal, they will find away to open it sooner rather than later, IF they are smart.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DG Resort is in NC

The Gov of TN decided to close the Dragon road all the way to the state line, which is one mile from the DG resort - he could care less about another states revenues! IMO

I feel for Brad, who is the DG Resort owner.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:57 AM
tnharley7
Road Captain

That is correct. All of the revenue is on the NC side, ie DG store, Fontana Village, Robbinsville, Tacapo, Iron Horse campground, etc. There is nothing on the TN side until you get to Vonore or Townsend, which is not a favorite money spending places for the Dragon riders.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:41 PM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The best riding is on the NC side anyway.. the Dragon is only 11 miles.. there are more scenic roads and curvy roads all around the Dragon.. if you planned on coming and the TDOT decides to keep the Dragon closed, come anyway.. you will not be disappointed in the other roads on E. Tn or W. NC or N. Ga.. Lots of Great Riding around here..cruising or sport bike..

Old 03-19-2010, 09:28 PM
leadman
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with with Rutroo.I've lived in east TN all my life and am still discovering
new roads to ride all the time.Ya'll come on to east TN to ride you won't be sorry.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:43 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

From all of the stuff that I have been reading on the subject I am starting to believe that the OP is closer to the truth than I had hoped. There are numerous rock slides around the region that have yet to be cleaned up and the fact remains that TN hates the dragon.

The real kicker is that it's more than just removing a pile of rocks. They need to shore up the hillside and that takes time and bureaucracy to get done. I am not holding my breath on this one to get resolved quickly.

Quick Reply: Update on the Dragon Rockslide