Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Camping Gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used a 4-man Eureka Timberline Outfitter (heavy duty) tent for the past 10 years. I also use a thermarest self inflating 2 inch mat 72 x 24 that insulates you from the ground well. Also take a folding two burner propane stove with 8 cup perk coffee pot, and a folding stainless steel milittary type mess kit and folding grilling rack for cooking. For lighting, I have Cabella small LED lights that velcro to tent poles (or parts of your motorcycle if needed). They run on 3-AAA batteries. Everything fits into a waterproof bag which is strapped across the rear seat of my Ultra.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
rberni
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

For a stove I would recommend either an MSR Whisperlite or MSR Dragonfly. They will work in any temp/elevation and are extremely durable for their small size. They cost more than the average multi-fuel stove but their reliability is proven. They are lightweight and easily fit in a saddlebag. I have and use both and they have outlasted all my Coleman stoves by a long shot. Propane is good if you stay out of the cold and high elevations. I would not rely on it over 6k feet or under 40 degrees. They may work but not reliably.

If you have any surplus military stores around and are solo camping in the summer, pick up a bug-net for about $50. You can find them for sell in a military town for about $20. It is a one man popup bug net that you put your sleeping bag into. There is no protection from the rain so carry a tarp just in case. They are small and lightweight and work well with just a blanket in the summer. You can buy an optional cover that goes with it but I think it is around $100 for it. I normally don't use tents because they are so bulky so cannot give you much more advice than that.

Sleeping mats can run you anywhere from $10 to $200 or more depending on what you want. Just a standard foam mat will work fine but will be bulky and take up lots of space. The smaller and lightweight mats will generally cost you much more.

One of the best/cheapest options for a sleeping bag is to get a military complete sleep system. You can pick one up for about $100 bucks and it includes the bivy sack, compression sack, warm weather bag and cold weather bag. You add on layers as the temperature drops. They are bulky but you will not find anything available on the market that can compare with it for the price you can get it for. There are better sleep systems but they can run into several hundred bucks for something you can use all year long.

Keep in mind, what type of gear you need will depend a lot on what type of camping you intend to do. If it is an overnight here and there you can get by with minimal gear. If you plan on extended trips you will most definitely want better gear to keep you comfortable. Again, I recommend checking out some backpacking and ultralight backpacking gear and reviews. There are many sites available and have good information. They are looking out for the same thing you are. How to get the most gear and comfort in a small space.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:17 PM
HDBagger93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

REI has great gear. Even the REI line is good quality stuff. I use their backpacking gear because it takes up less space. My farovite tent is my Eureka Apex 2 tent I have had for years. I stronlgy recommend staying away from bargain crap. It might work okay on a fair weather day but if you get hit with bad weather and have to sleep in a wet tent well it was your choice.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

This is my bike loaded for just me on the Dragon's Tail:

That has a 3 man 4 season tent, sleeping pad, hammock, full kitchen with stove, weekend of clothes, sleeping bag, military insulated poncho liner, lanterns and camp gear, pistol, rainsuit, tennies and sandals, windbreaker and food for a week.
Next weekend I have to take my wife to camp. Guess I need a trailer to put her on.

Thus far I've figured out: only socks and undies for spares. Exact food we will eat, plus one restaurant visit. Her sleeping bag will front the bar and pack will be behind with my bag on top. Tent and pads go over saddlebags, hammock bag from towel bar. No rainsuits and extra coats will be worn, along with vests (colors). And that STILL probably has me overloaded.
Speaking of which, I see that our bikes are always overloaded if we weigh over 400 together or are camping. Interesting, as I've seen 500 lbs. of flesh on some of yours.

Last edited by Quadancer; 10-06-2010 at 05:16 PM.