Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Headed for Skagway in June

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Theroughlife4me
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed for Skagway in June

Making a road trip to Skagway in early June this year. Wondering how the roads are between alaska, whitehorse and skayway. Also any recomendations for places to stay in whitehorse and skagway would be a great help. Thanks

Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Theroughlife4me
Making a road trip to Skagway in early June this year. Wondering how the roads are between alaska, whitehorse and skayway. Also any recomendations for places to stay in whitehorse and skagway would be a great help. Thanks
I went up the Alaska Highway in June 2010 to the Arctic Circle. I stayed at the Stratford Motel in Whitehorse. Good rates, clean room and great washers/dryers!! Good location downtown to walk for dinner too. Might want to call ahead. I got a room there on the way up, but coming back most of the motels were booked up. Had to stay at an expensive, but very nice place, Skky Hotel out on the Alaska Highway. Nice bar & restaurant, just expensive! I did not travel to Skagway, so can't help you there. The Alaska Highway between Whitehorse and the Alaska border was the roughest of all. Lots of frost heaves in the Yukon. Some are marked with little red flags BUT not all!!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:50 AM
yk.hd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local information...

The road from Whitehorse to Skagway is beautiful. I make the trip 2-3 times a year. It's got a ton of twisties, and a huge elevation change. You pass through the Skagway Summit and can see the old White Pass and Yukon Route train tracks on the opposite side of the valley - you can even take a ride on the train from Skagway to Carcross, YT if you're so inclined. The road is pretty well maintained in my opinion. Much better so than the road from Whitehorse to Northern Alaska.

You've got a few choices in Whitehorse as far as lodgings. I suppose that a lot of it is dependant on what your budget is. If it were me, I'd stay at the High Country Inn. It's downtown as well and is close walking distance to anything that you'd need. Other popular choices are the Skky Hotel and the Stratford Hotel as mentioned earlier. The Stratford is a little more budget friendly though if you catch my drift.

In Skagway, I don't think you can go wrong if you stay at the Golden Nugget. Very historically significant hotel in Skagway. You can research it to find out the whole story behind it. The other option I'd suggest is the Red Onion. Another hotel with historical significance.

At any rate, enjoy!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

What is the route you plan on are taking?

Last edited by Silver Fox; 04-29-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:59 PM
Theroughlife4me
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am riding from eagle river, AK. I am figuring on staying between Tok and the border the first night, then to whitehorse, and down to Skagway.