Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country trip Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

From the Motocampers forum, here's a check list below of items to consider. Of course you won't be able to take all this stuff on a Night Train but reading through it may give you some ideas. Since the Night Train is a Softail model, don't you have spoke wheels with tube-type tires? Obviously, tire plug kits won't do you any good then.

Agree with Nomad Billy on the rest area tent camping. Actually, I don't think very many states let you do it anyway. Just as well since through the night I imagine you'd get some real low life sob's coming through there. Plenty of other safe, low cost places to choose from.

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/sh...ighlight=stove

Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Get one of those flashlights you attach to your head with a headband, very handy.
A small first aid kit is good to carry.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 PM
BikerPaul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you mention problems with your neck and back--my story too. What kills my back isn't riding all day, its sitting in camp with no back support. I carry a "Kermits chair". While not inexpensive, mine has lasted over twenty years, fits in the saddlebag of my FL. I do a lot of bike camping, and consider the chair to be absolutely indespensable. If you choose to sleep on a self-inflating mattress(I don't), there is a chair option available for them. If my back hurts, the ride is no fun!

Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cross Country

Originally Posted by SwiftyBKells
I'll be going from WA state to FL panhandle. Then i'll be riding from FL to Sturgis with some old military buddies. I'm planning on packing/wearing...

1. carhart jeams...normal jeans don't hold up
2. debating on riding jacket or long sleeve shirt
3. sun screen for sure! I always bring it on long rides
4. i'm packing light... maybe 2 days worth of clothing, a small tent, & sleeping bag
5. maybe a small tool bag/flat tire kit...i'm debating on this... I do plan on getting a full service before i leave with new tires.

Other than that, i'm not sure what else is needed or advice i should go with. i'm more concerned about neck/back pain & staying alert. I'm hoping i can hit about 10 hours a day but that might be pushing it.

If you are worried about neck/back pain then I would suggest a thick Thermarest mattress (at least 2") and some sort of packable pillow. You will want a decent nights sleep. Small tent is great, just get a good one, like North Face, REI, Marmot, MSR Hubba etc. Same goes for sleeping bag. I personnaly would never sleep in a rest stop and most of them would not allow it. Some IB Profin helps also.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

first thing i pack is a roll of *** wipe. truck stop *** wipe is not a guarantee. you can travel without it, but i don't.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:16 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by bagga
first thing i pack is a roll of *** wipe. truck stop *** wipe is not a guarantee. you can travel without it, but i don't.
LOL...we all have our priorities. Bagga, you might like my hospital strategy. When I'm on the road and feel the need I just look for a hospital by following the big, blue H sign. Just walk in and pick a hall to walk down like you know where you're going. More than likely you'll stumble across a very clean, comfortable crapper. Truck stops??? Man, we don't have to live like savages out there.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:33 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,718 Likes on 1,107 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
LOL...we all have our priorities. Bagga, you might like my hospital strategy. When I'm on the road and feel the need I just look for a hospital by following the big, blue H sign. Just walk in and pick a hall to walk down like you know where you're going. More than likely you'll stumble across a very clean, comfortable crapper. Truck stops??? Man, we don't have to live like savages out there.
Now THAT is some good, sound advice!

Old 12-21-2011, 05:15 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

10 hours a day is pushing it over the long haul, practice loading everything once or twice in the garage to get a feel of everything packed, maybe a good idea to take a practice trip to see what works its way loose around your neighborhood, not much more advice than what has been given but I will share a web site that makes a good editable list.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 PM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the advice! I really appreciate it. I won't be making the trip until August but I'm starting to plan it now.

After reading a bit of your replies, i'm wondering where i should stop and sleep at for the night if a rest stop isn't the best place. I can't imagine being allowed to camp at a city park for the night. I also don't want to plan to stop at set camp grounds cause that would mean i'd have set destinations each day instead of just going until i don't feel like riding any more. As always, i carrry my Ruger .38.

10 hours a day is pushing it. I'll probably back that down to 6-8, depending on how I feel. I know there are a few essentials that i will need but i'm planning on making this a light packing trip with only bringing what i need. If i was on a bagger, i might pack a little more but i'll be on my bare bones nightrain.

Last edited by SwiftyBKells; 12-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

One thing that has always worked for us, get an early start so you can knock down some distance and easily secure your stopping point for that day before dark and/or everybodys booked up.

Quick Reply: Cross Country trip Advice