Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

OK! The Grand Canyon Trip is on!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
OK, I know that I'll catch a lot of ****about this, and I know this is a bike trip and all, but for that amount of distance, I'd have to consider trailering through the majority of the "so-so" scenery and using that extra time riding through and seeing the more beautiful stuff!

We've done this several times (my wife flying out sometimes) in order to get the most bang for her vacation time and our dollars.

Having two drivers and driving straight through can save at least one, perhaps two nights in motels.

Another consideration is, that if you should have serious breakdown, the means of getting your bike back home is much closer to you.

Either way, have a safe, enjoyable trip.
2AM,
Believe me that was discussed and we are leaving the door open to just pulling in to U-Haul and driving it on home. But it's a moral imperative to ride at least 1/2 the way.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
When I went across Texas Last Month took a trip from a friend that lives there .. Took I-10 to Beaumont (where he lives) then caught 105 west to 290 and picked up I-10 again avoided Houston and San Antonio that way and when got back on I-10 was virtually no traffic with an 80 MPH speed limit that route will take you to Las Cruces as well if think about going that way ..
Jay,
This is why I love this forum! I have spent the majority of this afternoon pursuing your suggestion. I have come up with this alternative that also adds in 180 thru NM:

It does bypass the major metropolitan areas. When you went thru how was the gas situation? I don't want to end up on fumes in the middle of BFE. LOL

Last edited by Chaz in TN; 05-15-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cayers
By going north so quickly you are missing some good rides in AZ and NM. Southern route through Ruidoso over to Silver City and 191 from Clinton AZ to Alpine AZ. Lots of more scenic roads than I-40..........just a suggestion.

Enjoy your trip!
Cayers,
Iv'e modified the trip and will jet north out of Deming on 180. Would you suggest stretching a little more west on I-10 to take 191? Also any suggestions on eateries, gas, and clean accommodation would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Originally Posted by LA VIC
I went a couple years back but took a more southern route across New Mexico. We went through Roswell. The ride through western Arizona up to the Grand Canyon was outstanding. Once we got to west Texas we didn't use any interstate highways. Only state roads. All were great and we ran at pretty good speeds. I don't know what route you plan to take on the return trip but if you haven't ridden the Million Dollar highway or crossed Independence Pass @ 12,000' crossing the Rockies in Colorado is breath taking to say the least.
That's on tap for next year!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Chaz, if you do the revised southern route, from Deming go to Silver City, NM,then you really should get over to Clifton, AZ and do US-191 up to Eagar. This is about a 3.5 hour ride through the White mountains and is really one of the best rides I have ever been on motorcycle wise. The ride on 89A between Sedona and Flagstaff is a can't miss. If possible you should be in Sedona at sunset or sunrise. The sunlight on the canyon formations is almost a spiritual experience. Jerome is a cool mining town.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 05-15-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 PM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

With so much to see I know you can add and add but passing so close to Texas Hill country have you thought of riding the 3 sisters?

I'm heading out west probably the 3rd week of June although route is still up in the air. When are you guys going and have you thought of the heat? I was thinking late June may be good for me to do Colorado etc.

I've been to the Grand Canyon a couple times and stumbled onto Bryce Canyon over 30 years ago....an incredible place

Old 05-16-2012, 01:25 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Bryce Canyon is one of my wife's favorite rides.
We toured those areas twice in the summer months but she always wanted to do that trip when it wasn't so hot but she could never get away at that time of the year.
In late September, early October of '07 she had some time off so we trailered to Clovis, NM and from there we did a huge "loop" though Albuqurque and then northwest to Moab, UT (Arches Nat'l Park), then over to the Canyonland Parks, the North Rim of the Grand Canyon then east/southeast to Ruidoso, NM, Roswell and finally south to Carlsbad to see the "Caverns", and then back to Clovis where we parked the truck and trailer.
We had a couple of "cool" days (and had to buy a couple of pieces of clothing) and a little light snow/frost on our seats in the morning but overall is was a beautiful trip, especially the encounters of riding in the "open range" areas and though it took me decades to get my wife the the Carlsbad Caverns, she was thrilled by the caverns and especially the "bats" that exit the cave just before dusk (until about mid-October).

Old 05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chaz........did you get my PM?

You will have no problems finding gas in NM, I haven't ridden 191 yet but I assume if fill-up in Cilnton you shouldn't have a problem.

Food
Las Cruces
High Desert Brewery http://www.highdesertbrewingco.com/
Farley's (couldn't find a web site let me know if you want directions) sandwitch/bar food and is good.

Between Las Cruces and Deming
Adobe Deli http://adobedeli.com/ great steaks, french onion soup as well as ribs and k-bob (enough for two to share). I'll help you locate if you go.

Silver City (actually Pinos Alto)
Buckhorn http://www.buckhornsaloonandoperahouse.com/

Lodging...........
Las Cruces - Several chains here, I don't exactly how you are coming into town yet once this is known will help with it.

Deming - would wait for Silver City.

Silver City - Holiday Inn Express http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/e...ss-_-G+B-AMER-[USA]-West-_-[USA]-%28NM%29-Silver%2BCity-SVCNM-_-holiday+inn+express+silver+city&siclientid=1962.

Pinos Alto
Several nice cabins in the area http://www.pinosaltos.org/great_busi...php?r=10,6kde2, and I just noticed that the Buckhorn (listed with food) has a rental available information on their web site.

I can't help with anything further west, have an excellent time in New Mexico!

Cecil

Last edited by cayers; 05-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

On 191, fill up in Morenci which is a couple miles N of Clifton and then in Alpine. They may sell gas in Hannagan Meadow, but I wouldn't rely on it.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:23 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chaz,

My bad I completely missed the revised map!

Lodging in Las Cruces (all of these are just off of I-10)

Exit 142
Ramada
201 East University Avenue, Las Cruces, NM (575) 526-4411 ‎ · ramadalascruces.com
Bar and restaurant.

In between these are Motel 6 and Super 8 right next to the Chevron station.

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
2635 South Valley Drive, Las Cruces, NM
(575) 527-9947 ‎ · hiexpress.com

Exit 140 - hotel heaven several to pick and I will just give you a few.

La Quinta Inn & Suites Las Cruces Organ Mountain
1500 Hickory Drive, Las Cruces, NM (575) 523-0100 ‎ · lq.com
Just off the interstate to your right as you exit. I have friends that stay here every time they come through and is walking distance to Cracker Barrel and Walmart.
Closest to High Desert Brewery.

Comfort Inn
1300 Avenida De Mesilla, Las Cruces, NM (575) 527-1050 ‎ · comfortinn.com
Just off the interstate to your left as you exit. Next to Barnett Harley.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Cecil

Last edited by cayers; 05-16-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: OK! The Grand Canyon Trip is on!