Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How far south for good riding

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:10 PM
buford
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How far south for good riding

Got the itch to take some time off soon and ride somewhere down in the southern states. Living in Wi. makes it difficult, How far south do you think a person would have to trailer to get good riding roads. Thinking avoiding not only snow, but salt and sand on the roads.
Northern Missouri or Kentucky?.... Don't know

Your Help?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
pjchamp
Cruiser

can't go wrong with the smokey mountains in tennessee

Old 01-06-2013, 12:21 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

In January?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:43 AM
buford
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mtgriz
In January?
Yes, in January, or February.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 AM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Key West, FL.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:58 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Buford, My January question above really referred to the post that suggested you should head for the Smokies in Tennessee for a winter ride. I was thinking that might be pretty chancy....no salt or sand to deal with but likely pretty cold. As long as you're going to trailer it, maybe try for southern AL, Fl Panhandle....nice riding there. For example, Madison to Pensacola is probably about 1000 miles. You could do that with 1 night in a motel on the way down, ride for 4 days and be back in WI and be gone only 1 week.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:11 AM
buford
Cruiser

Thanks Mtgriz for the info.

I'm looking to burn up some carry over vacation from last year and also have this uncontrollable itch to ride.
My parents live outside of Orlando in the winter and I had this thought of trailering my bike as far south till it would be safe riding, then ride the rest of the way to visit them.
I live in west central Wi. so I was pondering the thought of heading strait south on hwyI35 into Missouri or going south thru Rockford Ill on hwy57/24 into Kentucky or even into Tennessee?
I do realize the temperatures will be colder (not too worried about that) but hopefully above freezing until I ride the bike further south.
I was just wondering how far a person would have to trailer before they felt the road conditions were safe enough.
If it means I might have to trailer into the gulf states, then I might re-think this idea for early spring since I want to ride the bike as far as I can.

Thanks again,

Last edited by buford; 01-06-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:39 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

Keep an eye on the weather for a few areas you may be considering starting from. I'm in E. Tennessee and it's been a very mild winter...so far. We have a few days in the 60's coming up so it's not bad here. The 10 day forecast can be your friend.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:49 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by buford
Thanks Mtgriz for the info.

I'm looking to burn up some carry over vacation from last year and also have this uncontrollable itch to ride.
My parents live outside of Orlando in the winter and I had this thought of trailering my bike as far south till it would be safe riding, then ride the rest of the way to visit them.
I live in west central Wi. so I was pondering the thought of heading strait south on hwyI35 into Missouri or going south thru Rockford Ill on hwy57/24 into Kentucky or even into Tennessee?
I do realize the temperatures will be colder (not too worried about that) but hopefully above freezing until I ride the bike further south.
I was just wondering how far a person would have to trailer before they felt the road conditions were safe enough.
If it means I might have to trailer into the gulf states, then I might re-think this idea for early spring since I want to ride the bike as far as I can.
Thanks again,
Ok, riding to Orlando area.....seems like I35 would be way out of the way for you but it's been a few years that I've ridden in WI, land of squeaky cheese curds :-) great place. Anyway, yea..I'd think Kentucky would work for you. I used to travel KY, TN on business and the winters there are definitely rideable but of course they get blasted once in awhile. Maybe an east-west line through St.Louis would be about right. I'd say go for it and report back.....it's a long damn wait for spring for us northerners

Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,348 Likes on 2,176 Posts

we were just up in Sparta NC two weeks ago.....took 21 over the mountains......salt on the roads and temps as low as 27 at noon in Independence Va......there is the potential for freezin/winter weather anywhere in the mountains/foothills thru march.....i would go futher south for a guarantee of no salt or ice.....

if i'm doing a mountain trip on the bike, i keep a close eye on the long range (10 day) forecast.....and park before sundown.......

Quick Reply: How far south for good riding