Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Backroads across country

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Backroads across country

Just a few questions for those that have rode across the country. I'm trying to plan for a trip this spring taking mostly back roads.

I'm leaving from NC and I need to end up in Los Angeles because I have family there and can leave the bike there to have shipped back home. I don't really have any plans as to what to see or where to stop on the way, I just know I want to stay on the back roads as much as possible. What do you use for maps? I plan on taking a GPS but I want it do show a planned route, I'm not sure how to do that. I'm assuming I can mark my route online then download it? What is a good GPS and websiteto do that with?

Also, how much time should I take to do it? Doubt i'll have a street glide by then so i'm going to do it on a Busa. I can NOT take 3 weeks to do this. I was thinking 10 days max. Is that enough time?

Old 12-09-2013, 01:17 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

For sure the Garmin Zumo motorcycle specific GPS's would be nice (550, 660 and 665. I've had a Zumo 550 for several years and it's worked well. Garmin's Basecamp application makes it easy to create routes and then download them to the GPS. Only drawback on these is that they are expensive so it depends on your budget. I've liked running Basecamp on my MacBook in the motel room and creating a route for the next day.

Since you're going in the spring you may want to stay on a southern route. I'm always up for recommending the Texas Hill Country and Big Bend. Fine riding with minimal big truck traffic especially Uvalde-Marathon-Terlingua-Presidio-Fort Davis. Be sure and check your gas at Sanderson.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM
nm deluxe
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas hill country and big bend for sure! Seems like a quick trip though.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Surprised to see your Busa has a 5.5 gal. tank...so if you get 35-40 cruising you've got decent range. 10 days is fine, I think. Riding the backroads from, say, Raleigh to LA wouldn't be more than about 3200 miles. 320 per day is a good average which would allow you to at least stop for awhile if you saw something interesting...especially if you slabbed it to about the Mississippi River and then took more time west of the river. You're in for a great ride.

Last edited by mtgriz; 12-09-2013 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM
acman308
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If you did 400 mile days this would take you 8~ days. Gives you a couple days leeway to hit anything else along the way and help make up for bad weather encountered etc. IMO it's not much fun doing over 400 a day continuous. Do more or less some days but just making it a cross country race takes the fun out of it for me. I just use my phone for gps now. I still believe in buying a good paper map for the state i'm in.

Last edited by acman308; 12-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:20 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've planned many trips using several different software applications and Garmin GPS units. I always plan my trips and upload daily routes to my GPS. You can always change your mind, but it's nice to have pre-planned routes during a multi-day trip. All of the trips on my website were pre-planned and the routes loaded before I left home.

Right now, the easiest way to draw you map is using MapQuest. I start by entering my starting address (either home or a motel) and then entering my destination address (another motel). Then I either drag the calculated route that MapQuest creates to different roads or enter additional stops in the directions section in MapQuest. Play around with it and you'll easily get the hang of creating a route exactly like you want it. MapQuest has a feature to directly send the route to a Garmin GPS unit. All you do is click 'Send' and then select the Garmin unit to send it. I generally name them something like "Day 01 Home to Somewhere" With the day number included they are always in the correct order rather than being alphabetical.

If you have questions, email me. There's an email function on my website.

Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you camping or hitting motels, or both? Cut some of the mileage if camping. Do you want a road trip or an adventure? A road trip is a planned route on the GPS or highlighted on a map. It's all plotted out except for detours. Boring.

An adventure is heading west for ten days. Bad weather coming in from the north? Head south. Meet an old geezer at a camping spot that tells you about an awesome road on the other side of the valley? Take it.

Get a good atlas. Highlight every interesting thing you see between here and there. No, you can't see them all but as weather or whimsy takes you somewhere, you can hit the ones that are on the way.

The Natchez Trace would be a good way of heading south. But I would consider that suggestion of interstates until I crossed the Mississippi. You can make real mileage on back roads out west. But then I could spend a week just in Arches.

There are a lot of times I would find a beautiful campsite at 3 in the afternoon. Well if it's a great place, why not enjoy it? Plan each day around the campfire the night before. Maybe you make it and maybe not. That's what will make the trip an adventure.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

As an alternative, work your way a bit north and run through north Arkansas or southern Missouri (crazy curves and 2 lane state highways), going west across southern Kansas (Flint Hills), then jumping into Colorado and Utah.

It will be a lot more scenic than the southern route above. It will also throw some serious curves at you.

If you are leaving anytime later than late spring (mid-May) I advise going north to escape the heat.

Last edited by Jonesee; 12-09-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:29 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgriz
For sure the Garmin Zumo motorcycle specific GPS's would be nice (550, 660 and 665. I've had a Zumo 550 for several years and it's worked well. Garmin's Basecamp application makes it easy to create routes and then download them to the GPS. Only drawback on these is that they are expensive so it depends on your budget. I've liked running Basecamp on my MacBook in the motel room and creating a route for the next day.

Since you're going in the spring you may want to stay on a southern route. I'm always up for recommending the Texas Hill Country and Big Bend. Fine riding with minimal big truck traffic especially Uvalde-Marathon-Terlingua-Presidio-Fort Davis. Be sure and check your gas at Sanderson.

Thanks, I'll look into the 550. Looks like it's waterproof so that's good.

Originally Posted by nm deluxe
Texas hill country and big bend for sure! Seems like a quick trip though.
I'll pin that on the map as a place to maybe go through. It's going to be a quick trip, but it's all I can do. (26 years old, work, bills, etc)

Originally Posted by mtgriz
Surprised to see your Busa has a 5.5 gal. tank...so if you get 35-40 cruising you've got decent range. 10 days is fine, I think. Riding the backroads from, say, Raleigh to LA wouldn't be more than about 3200 miles. 320 per day is a good average which would allow you to at least stop for awhile if you saw something interesting...especially if you slabbed it to about the Mississippi River and then took more time west of the river. You're in for a great ride.
320 would be easy. I rode it to Daytona back in October 570 each way just going for the weekend. After about 450-500 miles I was ready to get off. 95 is a boring ride. Going straight to the Mississippi on the main HWY wouldn't be a bad idea. I want to see new stuff. One place I plan on going through is the tail of the dragon but I could somewhat do that. I normally average about 45mpg when on long trips. down to about 38-42 in the mts.

Originally Posted by acman308
If you did 400 mile days this would take you 8~ days. Gives you a couple days leeway to hit anything else along the way and help make up for bad weather encountered etc. IMO it's not much fun doing over 400 a day continuous. Do more or less some days but just making it a cross country race takes the fun out of it for me. I just use my phone for gps now. I still believe in buying a good paper map for the state i'm in.

North Carolina to Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps
Yeah I really don't want a cross country race. I'd like to enjoy it.

Originally Posted by robertwy
I've planned many trips using several different software applications and Garmin GPS units. I always plan my trips and upload daily routes to my GPS. You can always change your mind, but it's nice to have pre-planned routes during a multi-day trip. All of the trips on my website were pre-planned and the routes loaded before I left home.

Right now, the easiest way to draw you map is using MapQuest. I start by entering my starting address (either home or a motel) and then entering my destination address (another motel). Then I either drag the calculated route that MapQuest creates to different roads or enter additional stops in the directions section in MapQuest. Play around with it and you'll easily get the hang of creating a route exactly like you want it. MapQuest has a feature to directly send the route to a Garmin GPS unit. All you do is click 'Send' and then select the Garmin unit to send it. I generally name them something like "Day 01 Home to Somewhere" With the day number included they are always in the correct order rather than being alphabetical.

If you have questions, email me. There's an email function on my website.
Oh cool, that sounds pretty easy. I'll mess around with that.

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Are you camping or hitting motels, or both? Cut some of the mileage if camping. Do you want a road trip or an adventure? A road trip is a planned route on the GPS or highlighted on a map. It's all plotted out except for detours. Boring.

An adventure is heading west for ten days. Bad weather coming in from the north? Head south. Meet an old geezer at a camping spot that tells you about an awesome road on the other side of the valley? Take it.

Get a good atlas. Highlight every interesting thing you see between here and there. No, you can't see them all but as weather or whimsy takes you somewhere, you can hit the ones that are on the way.

The Natchez Trace would be a good way of heading south. But I would consider that suggestion of interstates until I crossed the Mississippi. You can make real mileage on back roads out west. But then I could spend a week just in Arches.

There are a lot of times I would find a beautiful campsite at 3 in the afternoon. Well if it's a great place, why not enjoy it? Plan each day around the campfire the night before. Maybe you make it and maybe not. That's what will make the trip an adventure.
I'm on a budget so I'll most likely be in cheap hotels and camping (although I can't really take much because I don't have room). I'll prob just fit what I can in a backpack and strap it to that back. I want an adventure, not a road trip where i'm rushing to be somewhere. Do you stay in campgrounds every time or just find a place on a river to pull up and stay?

Originally Posted by Jonesee
As an alternative, work your way a bit north and run through north Arkansas or southern Missouri (crazy curves and 2 lane state highways), going west across southern Kansas (Flint Hills), then jumping into Colorado and Utah.

It will be a lot more scenic than the southern route above. It will also throw some serious curves at you.

If you are leaving anytime later than late spring (mid-May) I advise going north to escape the heat.
That sounds fun, i'll put that on the map too. I would like to take a scenic route

Old 12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior

Black, you remind me of an interesting guy I met at a Starbucks in Idaho last summer. A young guy about your age from Canada riding a Busa that was packed to the max as he was on a 2-week camping ride. He'd already covered a lot of ground and was having a fine time. Kidded me about having a land barge Ultra as our 2 bikes parked together were night and day different....that different strokes thing was at work and sure made for a few laughs.

Quick Reply: Backroads across country