Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis and Yellowstone on the same trip?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:01 PM
TheBig-O
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live close to you and three days out and three back is what I have done the last two years .Like you I camp with a night or two in a motel . I never make reservations and have not been burned yet . A big campground like Elkview will always have room for you . You can roll up at any time of night and get a spot for one day or all three . For the ride out I camp at KOA . Request a free KOA Directory https://koa.com/webtransactions/dire...t/default.aspx and bring it with you , KOA's are clean, cheap and everywhere. You might find that you only need half a day for downtown Sturgis . That should leave you with enough time to do most of the rides ( Devils Tower area,Badlands,Black Hills Rushmore, Custer). I suggest you take 212 out of Belle Fourche to Little Big Horn to Red Lodge to Bear Tooth ( you must do Bear Tooth ) to Yellowstone NP . Make sure you have a good mattress and sleeping bag , it can get chilly.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 PM
KSully63
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head south 80 or 90 miles through Jackson Hole and check out the Grand Tetons, (must see) quench your thirst in Jackson.

I was there a couple years ago and a national park pass was good for yellowstone and tetons, 10 bucks a car for the week, maybe less for a bike.

Old 04-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Doobs41378
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you doing this trip with friends or by yourself?

Old 04-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 199 Posts

I did Sturgis and Yellowstone last year. All good information. If you are doing Huelett and Devils tower, do it on Wednesday. That way you can go through Sundance for the burnouts and wet t-shirt contest that afternoon. It is a good ride.

The Badlands are a good ride as well.

As said if you are tenting, you can find a place to camp without reservations, but as noted, you can get a discount for early purchase.

Beartooth is a must. Maybe it has already been mentioned.

I made a reservation at the Irma Hotel in Cody, went to the rodeo that night. Had a blast. The next morning did Chief Joseph and Beartooth over to Red Lodge then to the NE entrance to YS.

I made reservations at Canyon Campground early in the year. Yes, they were sold out. As noted, the roads in YS are like a figure eight. I rode the southern loop each way one day and the other loop the second day. It was 30 degrees each morning when I left on my ride. By about nine, I was in a SS T-shirt. I left early.

Let the vehicles in front of you clear the buffalo before you ease past.

I exited south through the Grand Tetons.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:26 PM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

I agree with others here Beartooth a must, if Yellowstone is too busy Cody is a good base camp. Don't miss the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone 2 waterfalls in a Yellow Canyon, set off of the main road in the park. In Sturgis people allow camping on their property, cheaper and quieter, probably can find campsites like that on the internet.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
RomeoMike
Cruiser

Please make time for the Tetons when you go to Yellowstone, no bad views of the mountains and so close to Yellowstone with Jackson Hole just on the other side of the park.

Attached Thumbnails Sturgis and Yellowstone on the same trip?-img_9144.jpg  
Old 04-02-2014, 11:47 PM
chris42795
Intermediate

Hi I live in Cleveland an plan on doing the something. Also I have been to Sturgis and stayed at Shade Valley campground no need for plans just do it. Let me know if you want to ride out together. Chris

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Everyone has good replies.
Beartooth, Chief Joseph
Black Hills, Iron Mt Road, Mt. Rushmore
Tetons
Idaho and Montana when you get the chance the following year

Old 04-03-2014, 08:40 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,377 Likes on 2,219 Posts

OP, I showed up at Shade Valley on Monday of the rally. Plenty of room. It's only $28 a night without reservations.

Also, KOA's have laundry facilities so you can save room on clothes and just wash them.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:52 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Beartooth, absolutely. Stay one night in Cody just for the Rodeo. But Sturgis has enough traffic. Sitting behind an endless stream of fume puking RV's in Yellowstone? I'd wait for another trip slightly off season. I always like another reason go ride out west.

Quick Reply: Sturgis and Yellowstone on the same trip?