Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

yellowstone Utah and monument valley best places?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 02:44 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default yellowstone Utah and monument valley best places?

Hi, Im going to the usa for holydays. I have to weeks and I would like to see monument valley, antelope cannyon, grand teton and yellowstone.

The idea is to flight to salt lake city and rent a 4wd because will do the trip from sept 20th to october 4th and some people told me it might snow in yellowstone.

all tips are wellcome because this trip is a brainstorm, I dont know If I have to bring summer cloth or winter or both lol also, al tips are wellcome... restaurants, hotels, nice places not in the tourist guides etc... specially hotels or b&b in yellowstone and grand teton.

do you think 15 days is enought?

Thank you for you help!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Let me be your travel agent...fly to Chicago from Spain..then to Billings Montana from Chicago...rent a car....do Yellowstone first then work your way south until you reach Las. Vegas...then go home.
15 days is pleanty of time to see everything between Billings and Vegas.
Rental car maybe expensive as it will be one way rental....make reservations for Yellowstone all others hotels will be availables when you decide to stop....
FYI... Best Western hotel of choice for HD .... Lots everywhere.
Good luck...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:55 PM
Solitario
Tourer

Thank you! I thought about flying to Salt Lake City and rent a car then do a loop from Yellowstone to monument valley and back to slc. I have been twice in Vegas and driving from Chicago to Yellowstone seems a long trip by car. What do you think?

Any tips about sleeping and eating in Yellowstone and grand Teton?

Thank you!

Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of the hotel rooms inside Yellowstone are sold out almost one year in advance, you may have
a very difficult time finding a place to sleep. You should firm up your dates and immediately contact
these people to see what rooms are still available.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/

You can stay outside the park, but you will spend a lot of time coming and going..

A good site for other hotels would be Booking.Com.. I've had very good luck with them as they
list many more hotels than other sites.

http://www.booking.com/

Las Vegas to Yellowstone is about 750 miles...
Yellowstone to Glacier is about 450 miles...
Glacier National Park to Monument Valley is about 1,000 miles...
Return from Monument Valley to Las Vegas is about 450 miles..

Your route will cover about 2,700 miles just getting from one location to another. That's a lot of
distance to drive is such a short time if you want to actually spend time enjoying each place.

I'd suggest that you decide what is most important to you and then revise your trip.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

By mid sept things are slowing down in Yellowstone. They begin to shut things down in preperation for the winter season... Yes you most likely will see some snow if you are there for more than a few days. It is still nice in Sept. the crowds are gone and the Elk are in rut. Sept is my favorite time of year to visit Yellowstone.

Monument Valley... I'll not say anything bad about it.... Nice to see but not worth the time... In my humble opinion. If you are traveling between Grand Canyon and Capitol Reef or Arches NP it is worth the drive through there...

Have you thought about Zion NP or Bryce Canyon NP some great hiking in those parks.

Be aware you must have a guide to hike antelope canyon and there are time limits.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:51 AM
Solitario
Tourer

thank you guys! how many days are enought for yellowstone and grand teton? any other intersting places to see in Utah beside the national parks?