Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

To CVO or Not to CVO...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 PM
clatterbark
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 30 days + with my CVO Ultra. I'm barely past the break in period, so, that means I have another 30 days to decide what stage to put it at. It seems the majority get a 25%-30% gain with a stage 3 but another 15%-20% with a stage 4. What confuses me is looking at the graph. It doesn't appear either the stage 3 or stage 4 is much different up to 3K-4K rpm. Starting out below stock level stats bother me. When you say a crisp throttle, how so? I'm happy with the gain I came from but putting a stage 3 or 4 is not cheap. Where's the reward? From 4K rpm up...that's not in my riding style on a daily basis. If I'm turning through Tennessee switchbacks, yes, rpm's are your friend. If I'm getting on the freeway, yes. I can rap it out. Getting past some goofball that speeds up when you try to pass, yes (hope others can keep up). I'm leaning toward stage 3...but I've not decided yet.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:07 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957buick
What is the difference between cvo and non cvo ? I thought it was just paint and chrome . I am not being an ******* , but i really do not understand the difference. Just looking to be informed of the difference .
if you put a cvo next to a non-cvo, you'll notice that there is very little that has not been 'touched' by the factory. even such things as mundane as floorboard supports. you've got wheels, paint, engine, gauges, stereos, trim, etc.

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
Hopefully you have been doing research on the CVO 110s..a few notes

2. The lifters are prone to failing, to the point of most CVOers replacing as a maintenance item every 20K; I would get an ESP plan, from Jim at Boardtracker (discountESP.com!
i'm aware of the lifter issue, but i have esp. i figure i'm gonna run it till it blows, then let esp fix it and continue on. if you replace lifters with aftermarket and they go out lunching your engine, then esp could deny your claim. if you stay stock, you should be safe. i'm currently at 40,000 on my 2013.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 PM
06Ultraman
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I went 14 cvo limited in early 17. I wanted the Rushmore improvements. Cvos .don't need modification. I did put rcx slip ons for better rumble. Don't pay 45k for new. If you're smitten with 19s. Wait two years for decent price on it. I got mine with 6k miles on it.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:34 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,501 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I've had lots of H-D's but I've only bought one CVO. It's a '13 Ultra in Typhoon Maroon and I now have just 0ver 34,200 miles on the odometer.

The only issues that I've had with it was a voltage regulator (25,000 miles) the radio needed to be refurbished shortly thereafter, and I elected to have the hydraulic lifters replaced at 33,000 miles (probably a waste of time and money, but they're done!)

A CVO is definitely more expensive, but if you're one of those people that is planning on adding lots of chrome many (chrome switch covers, master cylinder covers, front forks, special mufflers, and other "goodies" (XM Radio, garage door opener, heated hand grips, dual heated seats, GPS, iPod, remote locking/unlocking of ignition, saddlebags and tour pack, saddlebag and tour pack lighting, 12v power outlet in the T/P, rider backrest, matched floorboards, foot pegs, brake pedal, hand grips, luggage for all three bags, CVO logo bike cover and probably more that I've forgotten, a CVO is not that bad of a deal, especially if you are paying the dealership to install your optional equipment.

I just bought an '18 Tri-Glide and I'm adding (or have already added) a good deal of optional accessories but it's a long ways from being equipped like a CVO.

I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to sell the CVO or not (my knee may make that decision for me) but if I can continue to ride it occasionally I may just hold onto it, at least for a while as it is the nicest touring bike that I've ever owned.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 826 Posts

Here is my take on CVO's. Bought my first Harley in 2000, a black Heritage, Loved that bike, left it mostly stock except for Thunderslide and a few chrome do dads. Went through 3 ultras and then in late 2014, I decided to ditch the heavy Ultra and been eyeing a 2010 CVO Streetglide. Been at the dealer for 3 months, they wanted 25K for it. All stock, older gentleman owned it. 19K on the miles. I thought long and hard about it. I figured that if I was the kind of guy that would leave a bike alone, ride it and service it, then I would get the CVO. It had most of the things I like on a bike. Chrome, performance, style. I went to get it one day, and they just took payment for it that morning. No 2015's were in stock, and only one lonely Roadking, in my favorite color, with a $2k gift card attached. Thought about it for quite a while at that dealer. Finally, I got the idea, since I wrench on my bikes anyways, why don't I make this into the best of both worlds. Add some Streetglide tins, CVO chrome, and performance. Make it the bike I always wanted. I am very happy with the turnout. It was the Road King Special before there was a Road King Special.

So, for me, it boils down to this: if you can't or don't wrench, get the CVO, the work is already done. If you wrench, you will be better off making your bike personalized to you. Good Luck.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

CVO all the way. Owned 5 over the years and they are worth it. Used or new, private or dealer depends on the bike (mileage and condition) and price for me.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (10-09-2018)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:52 PM
nightrain88
Cruiser
Received 128 Likes on 69 Posts

Bought mine new this past July and love it, worth it to me..

Old 10-03-2019, 08:56 PM
al_ferguson01
Intermediate
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default CVO or no...?

I've owned a BUNCH of motorcycles across several brands ~ a half-dozen of them HDs and am on my very first CVO (2019 SG)... It's impossible to justify spending so much money on a motorcycle but I don't feel like I need to. I LOVE the bike, I love HDs - say what you will about quality (or lack of), trade-in value (or resale), what-ever you want to about them. For me, it boils down to I LOVE this ride. I don't give a sh*t about resale or trade in value on this or any other bike - I wouldn't ride 'em if they were free if I had a chance to ride my HD. I don't care about if I need to put it in the shop now and then (and by the way my HDs have always been VERY reliable - NEVER a breakdown in well over 100K miles). .

So, CVO or no...? Go with what makes you feel good. For me, the CVO is it... I came off a '17 Ultra Classic (M8) that I LOVED and put a ton of miles on but man the extra power, handling and feel of this CVO SG is amazing... JUST ENJOY!

Old 10-24-2019, 09:35 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

I’m loving my ‘17 Ultra Limited that I bought new as a leftover in Fall of ‘18. So far 17,000 trouble free glorious miles. Building on that I’d think the later CVOs are the nuts!

Old 10-29-2019, 09:31 PM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I will still modify mine to my personality, but, I chose to CVO and don't regret it one bit.

The following users liked this post:
Iowa cajun (10-30-2019)

Quick Reply: To CVO or Not to CVO...