Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Shovelhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/)
-   -   Cam Questions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead/1093640-cam-questions.html)

TwiZted Biker 02-15-2016 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by johnjzjz (Post 14843953)
in my collection a have a original sifton 109 and i am planing to use it in a 86 inch flt i am putting together for me as a lunch / go for what ever

Still have one the 468's stashed :icon_teeth:

johnjzjz 02-15-2016 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST (Post 14843974)
EVO type lifters are superior to shovel hydraulic in every way...shovel hydraulic lifters are troublesome at best..why do think you see so many shovels converted to solids...not all of the kits require you to use an EVO cam.

http://vulcanworks.net/store/Hydraul...ovelheads.html

in a shop we dont follow the latest fad some guy has come up with - for me the reason the shovel lifters have been an issue all the years is the Oil pump - modding the block and installing a evo oil pump with the hi speed gearing ends the issue

i charge people for what we know and do i cant afford a motor in a customers bike being done for free because some guy said what ever on line, you have done lots of very cool things and have seen the end all noise wayvie washer deal not hold up as well as other this is the deal stuff

tpb857 02-16-2016 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker (Post 14843704)
You really need to look into the Vthunder series by Competition Cams then, they are designed for hyd. Lifters and anything but the entry level cam does need high lift spring kits they have a couple sweet low to mid range torque monster cams for stock or smaller big bore's. Start making ponies as low as 1500rpm to about 5k, I swear by them. Huge benefit is the valve train noise they kill also my shovels quieter than most twinkies for upper end noise.

Someone else mentioned the VThunder cam to me. I'm not thinking of changing anything else, so how much of change do you think there would be with their entry level cam?

Hillsidecycle.com 02-16-2016 06:22 AM

As I mentioned, an Andrews #2 grind is one of THE BEST cams for a stock compression Shovelhead ever designed.
Been down the looooooooong road with many other manufacturer's over the past 30 years in business, and since I started working on HD's back in 1978.
Drag raced an 80", 92", and a 101" Shovel in AHDRA, and ECRA, and then Modified Class 108" Evo.
Many work very well if more compression is introduced, but the Andrews #2 cam is the guy, at the OE squeeze, just needs springs.
Not trying to sell anyone a set of springs, or a cam, just sharing what we know. :)
Scott

Racepres 02-16-2016 08:52 AM

^^ Have to Confess that I have never rode a #2 cam Shovel.
Based on what I see/hear above...I think I will try One!!!!!
Thank You
even very Old Dogs, may be able to learn new tricks!!!
I'll put it in a Newer Shovel tho, one that don't have an H in it already.....

TwiZted Biker 02-16-2016 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by tpb857 (Post 14848926)
Someone else mentioned the VThunder cam to me. I'm not thinking of changing anything else, so how much of change do you think there would be with their entry level cam?

Bolt in for a stock is roughly the same as the old H with a bit more low end and less valve train noise, next 2 steps up that work for stock to mild strokers will need spring kits wake it up nicely and start pulling about 1500 to 1700rpm and stay constant to about 4500 - 5000rpm. You don't need to rev the hell out of it to get into the power range that's what I love about them, in the day to day rpm range your always in the power band unlike Andrews or Crane . The big cam need inches and some compression to make it happy. In a healthy 80" you can feel the low end difference right off idle.

One of these and a good lifter kit like Vulcan or Jims is one the best upgrades you can do for a shovel without changing a lot like the evo oil pump mod which I've found tends to over oil the upper ends unless you do the restriction mod to the feed line fitting.

TwiZted Biker 02-16-2016 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com (Post 14849486)
As I mentioned, an Andrews #2 grind is one of THE BEST cams for a stock compression Shovelhead ever designed.
Been down the looooooooong road with many other manufacturer's over the past 30 years in business, and since I started working on HD's back in 1978.
Drag raced an 80", 92", and a 101" Shovel in AHDRA, and ECRA, and then Modified Class 108" Evo.
Many work very well if more compression is introduced, but the Andrews #2 cam is the guy, at the OE squeeze, just needs springs.
Not trying to sell anyone a set of springs, or a cam, just sharing what we know. :)
Scott

Not having dicked with the #2 version of the A what rpm range does it start making ponies ? What I didn't like about the A aside having 3 of them out of the box new out of time was they were flat till you got over 2500 to 2700rpm which was ok if it was lighter street hotrod.

98hotrodfatboy 02-19-2016 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com (Post 14849486)
Scott

I bet that cam would do real well in an stock 80" Evo as well....

Hey twiZted Biker, I bet that it starts to pull at about 2200 rpm...

tpb857 02-20-2016 12:25 PM

I opened up the cam chest. The cam has an S on it. What kind of cam is that? Also, one of the tappet guide blocks was cracked, the rear one had the inside rear corner cracked off and just sitting there under the bolt. Is it ok to just replace the one tappet guide? These are probably dumb questions, but I'm kinda new to this. Thanks.

johnjzjz 02-20-2016 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by tpb857 (Post 14863758)
I opened up the cam chest. The cam has an S on it. What kind of cam is that? Also, one of the tappet guide blocks was cracked, the rear one had the inside rear corner cracked off and just sitting there under the bolt. Is it ok to just replace the one tappet guide? These are probably dumb questions, but I'm kinda new to this. Thanks.

first a picture might help of what you are seeing on the cam

second if it is a Andrews its a knuckel cam for a flat side motor i do not think you have that

i do not use comp cams cams so if they have an S that is going to be what it is