Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Shovelhead (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead-62/)
-   -   Cam Questions (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/shovelhead/1093640-cam-questions.html)

tpb857 02-14-2016 09:02 AM

Cam Questions

I have my 73 FLH all apart right now. The jugs and heads are out getting reworked. I'll take the cam chest apart soon just to check things out. The motor is all stock, so I'm assuming the cam is also. I'll know for sure when I get it apart. Anyway, if the cam is stock, is it worth changing it? I ride solo on this bike. There are a lot of hills where I ride and I'd like to pep it up a little. If it is worth it to change the cam, what would you put in it? I would just be looking for a bolt in cam. Thanks.

Racepres 02-14-2016 10:23 AM

This is Not an EVO, or Twin Cam
The "H" cam is pretty hard to beat really..I have run lots of different Cams in Shovels...Only thing they do is move the power to a Higher RPM...Not what I want at all...Those Claims of "more power throughout" are BS in my experience.
On a Basically Stock engine...a basically stock cam is Part of the Package...
Now, If ya wanna go Racing...LMK

sqdealgeorge 02-14-2016 01:21 PM

cam for shovel

I like A grinds for stock shovels It's a step up over the stock When you pull the cam out look at the back side for letters

johnjzjz 02-14-2016 03:29 PM

yep A or even A2 is a good choice for a machine that is driven for the fun of the ride - the A2 i feel right off the bat not huge but its felt in the lower engine speed to pull away or around a corner and up a hill kind of thing

its not going to make you scream but you do feel a difference

tpb857 02-15-2016 03:27 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

Hillsidecycle.com 02-15-2016 05:39 AM

An Andrews #2 will torque things up VERY nicely.
It'll need a set of springs, but seeing the age of the machine, the springs are probably like bubble gum anyway.
Scott

Racepres 02-15-2016 08:10 AM

What Kind of Oil ya gonna Use!!!!!

83hdfxrs 02-15-2016 08:24 AM

Never assume it's stock. I bought a 83 Harley fxrs and i didn't notice is wasn't stock until something broke ( long story) but anyways if you are upgrading the cam, might want to see if you can use Evo lifters and pushrods for better oiling. They make kits for them they run around $500 but it well worth it. But upgrading the cam means better springs ect.

Racepres 02-15-2016 08:57 AM

Evo Oiling is not really an Upgrade...Do we believe the top end of the Shovelhead don't get enough oil???
That "kit" is so one can run EVO cams which allows more variety/style/options.
Being a "traditionalist" I like my Shovel...All Shovel.
If I catch EVO Envy...I'll Buy An EVO....

Racepres 02-15-2016 09:00 AM

The Later Shovelheads...Like the Later EVO suffered from EPA Induced Anemia from poor cams...If you have a Late Shovel, and certainly if you have a Post '91 EVO, you Need New Cams....I have been content with Early Shovel cams [H] and early EVO cams....