Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Got me a shovel

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 01:38 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,464 Likes on 1,409 Posts

Originally Posted by tpb857
They aren't shipping the clutch because they don't have it. I was looking for one a couple of weeks ago.
Don't I know it - they keep promising "next week". ...

Old 05-24-2017, 03:11 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by adm
Don't I know it - they keep promising "next week". ...
Well - I got fed up waiting for J&P and cancelled the Pro-Clutch from the order. Bought one instead from eBay from somebody who actually has one!

I also emailed Rivera who told me there was a backlog with machining parts, but they hope to clear it by end of June!

So. I should have the clutch in a week or so. Plus a Hayden M6 chain tensioner so I can get the primary together.

I put the starter shaft housing on - that was a PITA. The new one has two locating pins in it to fit to the inner primary and I couldn't get it in due to interference with the tranny. In hindsight, I should have put it on to the back of the primary before I fitted that, but I just "adjusted" the pins with a file until it went in. At least this way if I need to take it off again I won't need to remove the primary.

Starter shaft fitted and looks good. I put a new bearing in the starter shaft housing as well. Heated the housing and froze the bearing and it slid right in. Lots of grease liberally spread around in there to keep everything slippy.

Also ordered a new starter. Purely for aesthetic reasons. The old one is original and works, but looks like ****. So I got a German made chromed one.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:15 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Next up - finish fitting the rear wheel. Add the 5mm spacer to the right hand side. Torque it all up. Then fit the chain.

I also need to think about the rear brake hanger. The lower hole in the billet carrier that I have is smaller than the castle bolts from the original torque bar. So I guess I either need to get a bushing made up to use a smaller bolt on the torque bar / brake carrier interface, or make/buy a new heim jointed torque bar (preferred option)....

Old 06-19-2017, 07:10 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

A little more slow progress on the old girl. Time wasted by work trips, family stuff and waiting for bits to arrive!

So eventually (after 3 months) my Rivera Pro Clutch and Hayden M6 chain tensioner arrived from the US so I got the primary sorted out:

Hopefully that's all set up properly. Compensator nut torqued to 90 ft lbs with a bit of red Loctite, clutch hub nut (left hand thread) should have been torqued to 50-60 ft lbs per Rivera's instructions - but I discovered my torque wrenches only work with clockwise threads. So it's just "tight" with blue Loctite.

The M6 is a bit of a fiddle to set up with the spring tension and all, but I got there in the end.

I also fitted a new chromed starter motor as the original OEM one was quite manky. So now I need to refit the solenoid and that should hopefully be the primary ready to rock.

(I know there should be a bracket between the transmission and the starter - just waiting for a new one to arrive. Then I will fit the battery tray and oil tank.

Finally, I fitted a 5mm spacer to the rear axle outboard of the brake carrier. The wheel is nicely centred and the rear sprocket is aligned with the tranny sprocket. Went to fit the brake itself, but have discovered that the hole to bolt up the torque arm in the Harrison Billet carrier is M10 - while the holes on the frame and torque arm are all 1/2". That means I will either need a 1/2" to M10 bush made up for the brake end of the torque arm, or I could get a new one made up from some round stainless bar, with a 1/2" heim joint on one end and an M10 heim joint on the other....

I also took the front shock lowers off to be polished - they should be done this week. Checked up on the triple trees which have taken ages getting chromed and they should be done this week as well. Which will let me get on with the front end.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:43 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,976 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Looking good.. nice job.....

Old 06-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice job. Home stretch hopefully.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:24 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,268 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Coming along nicely. Friend of mine has been waiting almost 2 months for his Rivera clutch assembly for his 75 FLH. He called J&P last week just before he left on vacation and was told it should be delivered some time this week.

Definitely slow on customer delivery...

Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

Yeah - I gave up on J&P in the end and ordered from DocRob on eBay. He actually had stock!

I got the oil tank and battery tray mounted up today.

The battery tray will need to come off again to let me fit the oil feed hose from the bottom of the oil tank, but I wanted to do a trial fit anyway. It will also be easier to fit the starter cable with the tray off again.

I was going to make a start on routing the oil lines, but the hose finishing clamps I have are the wrong diameter - so I'll need to get some bigger ones....

Nicely powder coated to match the frame, and sitting on all new rubber mount blocks.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:49 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member

I fitted the starter solenoid - but getting the little spring compressed and the split pin in was a complete bastard of a job. So - necessity being the mother of invention, a couple of cable ties got called into use to compress the spring, then got cut off once the split pin was in.

It's currently 92 degrees here in the UK - which is very, very hot for us. So now I think it's time to sit on the patio with a beer!

Last edited by adm; 06-21-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Duplication
Old 06-21-2017, 10:45 PM
lucky23
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
I fitted the starter solenoid - but getting the little spring compressed and the split pin in was a complete bastard of a job. So - necessity being the mother of invention, a couple of cable ties got called into use to compress the spring, then got cut off once the split pin was in.

It's currently 92 degrees here in the UK - which is very, very hot for us. So now I think it's time to sit on the patio with a beer!
Dude, the zip tie trick for that damn spring: ****ING BRILLIANT. I don't know why that never occurred to me...(:

Quick Reply: Got me a shovel