Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

78 FLh 1200 clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 07:21 PM
CJ Way
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 FLh 1200 clutch issue

So I have recently obtained a 78 shovel head by means no one would want to get a free motorcycle. ANYWAY, I'm having an issue with the clutch. I have a manual but would rather take it to a shop. Before I do all that maybe some one here can help?

So it sat for months without being ran. My dad would start it about once a month, but as far as I can tell, that was the extent to it. Now here it sit in my garage... Awesome! It looks amazing! I get it started, finally figure out how to dial the idle in, grab the clutch, kick first, and stall. Huge disappointment! So The clutch does nothing in any of the gears, but the plates are moving. Any thoughts? By the way, it's a five speed.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,017 Likes on 17,512 Posts

Grab the clutch and blip it a few times to get the gummed up clutch plates to spin a little and free up, then try going into gear. No joy check the cable adjustment.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 AM
CJ Way
Stage IV

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Grab the clutch and blip it a few times to get the gummed up clutch plates to spin a little and free up, then try going into gear. No joy check the cable adjustment.
You mean to like pull it like engaging and disengaging the clutch right? I have tried that, I even took the DOT reservoir off and did it like that. The only thing that happened is that the neutral light stopped coming on while in neutral.

My uncle was telling me about this tool that I can make but, I wasn't really ready so I didn't get to write down how to make. Basically it holds the two clutch plates with the springs in between them together so i can get to the rest of the plates and make sure they aren't just stuck together. Any ideas?

Ill try the whole blipping/pumping the clutch some more, maybe I'll get lucky! Thanks!

Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You might be talking about the washer to put on the pressure plate to get it off, I will post a pic later on today how it looks

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,232 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Think I would break out the manual, follow the procedures for disassembly and clean the plates and primary case up and reinstall and readjust. Pretty simple procedure and a good way for to to get acquainted with your new ride.

The following users liked this post:
TwiZted Biker (04-21-2017)
Old 04-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Bill wallace
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Like panz4ever said...its not hard.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:54 PM
CRASH69
Tourer

Here is the washer you need to get the clutch plates out.. Name:  ws.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  1.28 MB Heres it on

Bill wallace (04-21-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 03:56 PM
CJ Way
Stage IV

So before I go a head and start in on this project, I just wanna ask all of you, from what I explained, do you really feel with no motorcycle mechanic experience, besides changing the fluids in my sport bike, that this is a simple enough job with the manual handy? I'm just nervous because this was my dad's pride and joy. I am mechanically inclined, just never really tired my luck outside of boast and 4 wheels...

Old 04-23-2017, 03:56 PM
CJ Way
Stage IV

Oh and how do I do the thank you thing?

Old 04-23-2017, 04:19 PM
CRASH69
Tourer

I started working on bikes at 10yrs old, got this Honda 50 for free it wouldn't run, seeing my dad building race cars it was in my blood, I had tools available, so I cleaned the spark plug, still no start, I pulled the carb off starting taking it apart, I wanted to ride bad! My dad saw me and walked over to me and started to help me, got it running jet was clogged. My point to the story is ya gotta start somewhere IF your into it...We here can walk you threw it...first and most important whenever working on mechanical take off ground wire from frame and tape it....to do the Thanks just go to whoevers post and on the right hand bottom hit the thanks

CJ Way (04-24-2017)

Quick Reply: 78 FLh 1200 clutch issue