Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help me mount my new wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 06:52 PM
long_overdue
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me mount my new wheel

Hey guys. My front tire was very old and needed to be replaced on my 82 FLH. What better time to go up to a 21" wheel right? I got the wheel and test fitting looks promising. I may can cut down one of my old spacers and make it work. The problem i encountered was the aluminum piece that goes over the axle hub on right side that the speedometer drive unit hooks into (with the little tab. I removed that big aluminum (whatever you call it) piece off my 16" wheel and as it turns out, the inner diameter of that aluminum "boss?" is bigger than the axle hub on the new wheel. Does anyone know what that thing is called and can i get another to fit my new wheel?

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2022, 05:06 PM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

Hello long_overdue,
i got a couple of questions, first was your wheel from your FLH stock ? cast or spoke ? & what is your new wheel stock or aftermarket ? cast or spoke ? a few pix might be of help too. Can't say what your spacer is called, i looked in my parts manual (41to84 FL) & don't see any thing like that pictured , was that part used for the speedo drive ? if you use a dual flange W.G. hub(spoke) the speedo drive works with a notch in the stock brake disc rotor.

can you use a 1:1 trans drive speedo ? that would simplify your conversion somewhat, if not, you'll have to try to find the correct speedo drive unit for a 21" front wheel to make your speedo work right, you might also have to change your speedometer to get the right speedo cable connections . . . & the list goes on . . .

heres a picture of the Transmission speedo drive connection, if you can use this type speedo drive, you just have to change your speedometer to a 1:1 ratio unit

your FLH should have this type trans drive option,(i think)

Last edited by troy montoya; 03-02-2022 at 05:23 PM.